• BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd prefer her to Cuomo.

In a variety of contexts. ;)

One thing I find truly disheartening is how Whitmer is perceived, at least by folks I know. These folks are comfortably retired professionals, so money is not an issue nor are they forced to mix with the general public to any great degree but these should be steely-eyed realists. Almost to a man or woman, they view Whitmer favorably and, in the words of one (who I went to college with, pharmacist) they believe Whitmer is not a petty tyrant but is 'protecting them'!

I know it will be hard to believe, but I was speechless. I just changed the subject, that is an unbridgeable gap unless and until her dictates begin to have some adverse effect more directly upon them

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Would you knock it off with the “ryyyeeettts” nonsense? It’s a cry made of straw, and it’s retarded. Just argue the ***damn points. Yes the legislature mistakenly gave the governor pretty broad power to declare emergencies and execute extraordinary emergency orders. Doesn’t mean he should.

What would I do? Deal with it when it’s a real ass emergency. 8 months in, it’s no longer an emergency, by definition. It’s a long term problem. I think maybe after 6 weeks or so I’d have worked with the legislature to figure out what needs to happen going forward. Possibly during the emergency, I may have restricted some things. Full on lockdowns, no. Full on mask mandates, no. On the masks, businesses are free to require them.

Or I could do a Kirk and make a ridiculous claim about your point of view: Ahhhh!!! He’s not advocating authoritarian control! Run for your lives!!! :runaway: He’s not forcing people to wear masks!!! :runaway: He’s not forcing businesses closed!!! :runaway:

Or, better, you could just talk to people. Reason with them. Maybe you can’t reason with everyone, but so what? Yer not getting anywhere with the “ryyyeeettts” crap. Sometimes you do just stick to the points. And you can makes some good points. But then snarky Kirk comes out and it just ****s all that up.

THIS^^^ Holcombe just got elected with impressive support. What better time to call the legislature into session and consult with them, he should be in the catbird seat in any such session and even if they want a bigger say/role in the process why would he care - he just ran his last gubernatorial race ever

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Full disclosure: I don't know jack about what really drives any politician (because I tried only to be involved with them when I had to), but I can say, based on my professional years, that I always wanted control of a project commensurate with my responsibility. If management wanted me to be totally responsible for the outcome, I wanted total control (to the extent possible) of the decision making.

Making an assumption here, but I'm guessing your professional years were in private companies and not government. I think that's the big difference. Putting aside the fear of being blamed when things go wrong, career politicians (with some exceptions) lose themselves as public servants and find themselves as oligarchs.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Full disclosure: I don't know jack about what really drives any politician (because I tried only to be involved with them when I had to), but I can say, based on my professional years, that I always wanted control of a project commensurate with my responsibility. If management wanted me to be totally responsible for the outcome, I wanted total control (to the extent possible) of the decision making.

It seems possible that this could also be one of the things driving politicians to want to call the shots, that the amorphous 'legislature' doesn't share in the blame when things go wrong to the extent the point man, in this case the governor, does. That of course presupposes the governor actually has any organizational chops and/or good advisors, but I'm not sure your garden variety elected official necessarily is driven purely by some lust for power for it's own sake (with notable exceptions)
    I don’t think the same political forces are at play. It’s been my experience that politicians seem most interested in political cover so that their legacies aren't tarnished. I mean, yeah, they do exert their political will to achieve their agendas, but that’s different than making decisions during something like this. I suspect Holcomb would be playing the safe bet by trying to balance what other states are doing with what the majority of people in his state are willing to accept. That gives him political cover. It’s not anymore egregious than what average states are doing. Makes sense to align yourself with neighboring states and they all do what each other does. If it goes bad, well, hey, I did what was recommended. If it goes well, take credit for it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I should know better. Outlandish conspiracies are more interesting than the boring truth...and that shouldn't surprise me.

Come on. I already know for a fact that the man is corrupt. I am just curious about the details this time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I suspect Holcomb would be playing the safe bet by trying to balance what other states are doing with what the majority of people in his state are willing to accept.

Doesn't that also capture the appropriate role of leadership in a representative democracy? Generally following the will of the majority, within the boundaries established to protect the rights of the minority?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Doesn't that also capture the appropriate role of leadership in a representative democracy? Generally following the will of the majority, within the boundaries established to protect the rights of the minority?
    The will of the majority in a “democracy” to be under “emergency” orders indefinitely? :scratch:

There is a thing called tyranny of the majority.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The will of the majority in a “democracy” to be under “emergency” orders indefinitely? :scratch:

Tere is a thing called tyranny of the majority.

There is- and we are a representative republic....representatives like the governor and the General Assembly, both having to answer to the judiciary. So, there are the paths to challenge the governor- the legislature and the judiciary.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sometimes people think things that are far out there because they don't understand things the same way. So help them understand. Then if they still hold that outlandish opinion, you know there is not place where sane people can meet between the two. Or, maybe it's not them? For example, maybe it's okay to think the Governor is overstepping authority. That's not to say he doesn't have the authority given to him legally by legislature. I think just because he has the authority doesn't mean he should use it to its fullest. And it's not outside of that sane place to think that a different governor might be more responsible about wielding extraordinary authority.

For example, I'm pretty sure Kirk is sane. There probably is a place where we could both meet where I don't think he's an arrogant *******, and he doesn't think I'm a "muh ryyyeeettts" idiot, for holding the views we hold.

This Tyrant Holcomb will not let me speak freely! This is because of a coalition of That Woman, The Freemasons, and Corporations being Corporationany. Meye Rrryyyeeettts!

jamil, you can just say, Kirk, be cool, enough hyperbole and I will be.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

There is a thing called tyranny of the majority.

In Indiana the legislative branch is the most powerful. A vast majority in this powerful branch GAVE the power to Gov. Holcomb that some on INGO criticize to the Governor.

I have laid out a remedy. Address the statute that enables Gov. Holcomb in the manner that you protest.

However, I am most interested in how those who criticize the Gov. would handle this pandemic. I am curious and not snarky at all . . . ok, I am still snarky but doing an outstanding job of hiding it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This Tyrant Holcomb will not let me speak freely! This is because of a coalition of That Woman, The Freemasons, and Corporations being Corporationany. Meye Rrryyyeeettts!

jamil, you can just say, Kirk, be cool, enough hyperbole and I will be.:D
    Okay. Kirk. Calm down. The hyperbole is not helping.

But seriously who the **** is “that woman?” And who the **** on INGO has actually said that?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In Indiana the legislative branch is the most powerful. A vast majority in this powerful branch GAVE the power to Gov. Holcomb that some on INGO criticize to the Governor.

I have laid out a remedy. Address the statute that enables Gov. Holcomb in the manner that you protest.

However, I am most interested in how those who criticize the Gov. would handle this pandemic. I am curious and not snarky at all . . . ok, I am still snarky but doing an outstanding job of hiding it.
    Not really. I did lay out what I would do.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, thank you, you want the North Dakota/Let It Burn/Swedenish gambit, but I would like to hear from others who criticize Gov. Holcomb.

Before there will be any utility in a direct answer to your question--any question of yours for that matter--we need to find a way to deal with your apparent inability to distinguish between what is permissible within the law or at least not too impermissible to get away with and what is morally and ethically right. The latter distinction seems not to be an issue in your worldview.

Top Bottom