One LARGE order of S-HOLE coming right up!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can make assumptions.

I think there are multiple reasons depending upon who it is. Off the top of my head, race and financial standing come to mind.

Fair enough, "know" implies know for fact... we'll just say strong inclination to believe.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If I said "huh" regarding Jamil's similar question, in the past, what makes you think I have the ability to answer what "black" or "white" culture is now?

You just said "huh" in regards to Jamil's comment of "I assume that they'll adapt a mixture of culture," and you never answered whether you have the ability to answer what "black" or "white" culture is. Myself, I don't.

In an ideal world... and to friends and family, that's understood. Everyone else, outside the front door? Not so much.

I don't think I live in an ideal world, but that's pretty much how I view people.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You just said "huh" in regards to Jamil's comment of "I assume that they'll adapt a mixture of culture," and you never answered whether you have the ability to answer what "black" or "white" culture is. Myself, I don't.

Anything a leftist college professor would say can't be done because it's been appropriated from the other culture. Note: this works one direction typically.

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Isn't Poland refusing the EU's orders to accept Syrian "refugees"? Is there a reason that Poland couldn't/wouldn't agree to take SA refugees instead, who I assume are at least somewhat educated, and can contribute to their society? Seems like a win/win for Poland, and the South Africans. Poland wins because they can claim they are meeting the quotas, and the people that they take in aren't trying to overthrow their way of life... South Africans win by not being murdered for being white.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Na fine let's turn it into glass since no one cares.
    Oh and I don't call you anything but your name Que. Just like I call,everyone by name not ethnicity. When we've met I never heard you call me "white trigger time". You can feel free to call yourself whatever but for legal form purposes I think we need to get back to basics and not politics. Black, brown, yellow, white, whatever.
    People can leave "their struggle" out of it

- trigger time 'proud American mutt'

I’m not sure why you suggested that, but when I commented on its vast resources and other points, that’s what you provided. You said “Africa could be wiped off the face of the earth and no one would miss it.” Those were your words.

Over the past year alone, I’ve been called “colored” many times and just recently something much harsher, by people who said they don’t believe in or can’t keep up with all the names. Granted, these were older people and the one just wanted to get a reaction out of me. I get your point. My father used to wonder the same thing. But, my name, ethnicity, nationality, and color are four different things. You may never have cause to identify my race or ethnicity and you certainly will never have to check the box. I’m not suggesting that to be your problem or concern. I just don’t like being identified as “colored” and some people do not identify as other things. Over the years, somehow race and ethnic have conjoined, which is why many forms now have “African-American/Black” on them.

I have colleagues from South American countries and I listen to their discussions. In their counties, one is considered white and the other malato. Here, people look at them as Latino and African-American. One said it took him a while to understand how he wasn’t considered white and the other sure as hell doesn’t accept African-American. Yeah, I just call them by their names, but I also respect their choice to not be identified as something they are not, just because it’s confusing to my way of thinking. As for the box, they are both white and then check “from Hispanic heritage”. I just encourage them by what my father told me: “Don’t worry what people call you. It only matters what you answer to.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And that same applies in SA, does it not?
    I said as much. Who owns it now? The people who posess it. Doesn’t mean taking it from the white farmers is any more just than how the land came to be owned by the white farmers. But I really don’t know the full history of that so it’s hard to make a judgement.

do you think the blacks in SA should take that land back? And if so, do you think the improvements made by the white farmers over generations of ownership should be included?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m not sure why you suggested that, but when I commented on its vast resources and other points, that’s what you provided. You said “Africa could be wiped off the face of the earth and no one would miss it.” Those were your words.

Over the past year alone, I’ve been called “colored” many times and just recently something much harsher, by people who said they don’t believe in or can’t keep up with all the names. Granted, these were older people and the one just wanted to get a reaction out of me. I get your point. My father used to wonder the same thing. But, my name, ethnicity, nationality, and color are four different things. You may never have cause to identify my race or ethnicity and you certainly will never have to check the box. I’m not suggesting that to be your problem or concern. I just don’t like being identified as “colored” and some people do not identify as other things. Over the years, somehow race and ethnic have conjoined, which is why many forms now have “African-American/Black” on them.

I have colleagues from South American countries and I listen to their discussions. In their counties, one is considered white and the other malato. Here, people look at them as Latino and African-American. One said it took him a while to understand how he wasn’t considered white and the other sure as hell doesn’t accept African-American. Yeah, I just call them by their names, but I also respect their choice to not be identified as something they are not, just because it’s confusing to my way of thinking. As for the box, they are both white and then check “from Hispanic heritage”. I just encourage them by what my father told me: “Don’t worry what people call you. It only matters what you answer to.”

It can be confusing though. If I refer to African American, I’ve been told, “I’ve never been to Africa; I’m black.” When I refer to “Black”, I’ve been told, “I ain’t Black, honey, I’m Brown”. It seems reasonable that either term should be acceptable when referring to race or ethnicity. But people still get pissed.

It also seems reasonable that we all know and agree what the offense terms are for the predominant races in the US, and we know we shouldn’t use those terms. In school back in the 70s a student called me a “honky-ass mother****er” and got in trouble for the “mother****er” part, and not the racial slur.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Since I read this yesterday, I've wanted to share it as a good read -especially the excerpt which I'm about to quote (It's an email the author received). Since this thread is already about race, due to the presence of some and the unwillingness of others to admit it, I'm going to drop it here. It speaks to jamil's concerns about tribalism and rise of Trump, and is also germane in light of Kuts assertion that the oppressed never let bygones be bygones when they gain the upper hand. I recommend you read the whole piece. Mod's move or remove this as you see fit

Enemies Of The People | The American Conservative

In her new book about political tribalism, law professor Amy Chua quotes this e-mail I posted a year ago here, from a reader named Zapollo. Today is a good chance to re-up it:

I’m a white guy. I’m a well-educated intellectual who enjoys small arthouse movies, coffehouses and classic blues. If you didn’t know any better, you’d probably mistake me for a lefty urban hipster.

And yet. I find some of the alt-right stuff exerts a pull even on me. Even though I’m smart and informed enough to see through it. It’s seductive because I am not a person with any power or privilege, and yet I am constantly bombarded with messages telling me that I’m a cancer, I’m a problem, everything is my fault.

I am very lower middle class. I’ve never owned a new car, and do my own home repairs as much as I can to save money. I cut my own grass, wash my own dishes, buy my clothes from Walmart. I have no clue how I will ever be able to retire. But oh, brother, to hear the media tell it, I am just drowning in unearned power and privilege, and America will be a much brighter, more loving, more peaceful nation when I finally just keel over and die.

Trust me: After all that, some of the alt-right stuff feels like a warm, soothing bath. A “safe space,” if you will. I recoil from the uglier stuff, but some of it — the “hey, white guys are actually okay, you know! Be proud of yourself, white man!” stuff is really VERY seductive, and it is only with some intellectual effort that I can resist the pull. And yet I still follow this stuff, not really accepting it, but following it just because it’s one of the only places I can go where people are not always telling me I’m the seed of all evil in the world. If it’s a struggle for someone like me to resist the pull, I imagine it’s probably impossible for someone with less education or cultural exposure.

It baffles me that more people on the left can’t understand this, can’t see how they’re just feeding, feeding, feeding the growth of this stuff. They have no problem understanding, and even making excuses for, say, the seductive pull of angry black radicalism for disaffected black men. They’re totally cool with straightforwardly racist stuff like La Raza. Why are they unable to put themselves into the shoes of disaffected white guys and see how something similar might appeal to them? Or if they can make this mental leap, why are they so caustically dismissive of it — an attitude they’d never do with, say, a black kid who has joined the Nation of Islam?

I’m sorry, but there are two alternatives here. You can push for some kind of universalist vision bringing everybody together, or you can have tribes. There’s not a third option. If you don’t want universalism, then you just have to accept that various forms of open white nationalism are eventually going to become a permanent feature of politics. You don’t have to LIKE it. But you have to accept it and learn to live with it — including the inevitable violence and strife that will flow from it.

If the Left can’t let go of identity politics, then let me be clear: What comes next is on THEM. A lot of us don’t want to live in a world of tribes, and we never asked for it. But people will like those young dudes attracted to white nationalism are going to play the game according to the rules as they find them, and they will play to win. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It can be confusing though. If I refer to African American, I’ve been told, “I’ve never been to Africa; I’m black.” When I refer to “Black”, I’ve been told, “I ain’t Black, honey, I’m Brown”. It seems reasonable that either term should be acceptable when referring to race or ethnicity. But people still get pissed.

It also seems reasonable that we all know and agree what the offense terms are for the predominant races in the US, and we know we shouldn’t use those terms. In school back in the 70s a student called me a “honky-ass mother****er” and got in trouble for the “mother****er” part, and not the racial slur.

In this I refer to people as "Of Color" as it is the safest way. So far.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I totally agree. I just try to get to know people and respect them. I have learned to get away from identifying others according to race or even gender and leave it up to them. I have no trouble with any of it and understand most people mean no harm whatsoever. Just like the old guys who called me “colored,” they didn’t mean anything by it, but I just don’t embrace it. There is a difference between someone being offensive and someone finding a reason to be offended.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In this I refer to people as "Of Color" as it is the safest way. So far.
    Isn’t everyone a person of color? I’m not stark white. Even the whitest person isn’t white. To say “person of color” refers to darker skinned people, implies some pretty silly stuff. Whoever dreamed that label up wasn’t thinking any clearer than whoever thought up “black” or “white”.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Top Bottom