• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I thought of getting decked storage for my truck not long after I got it. But then I found I was using the bed more for hauling stuff than I thought I would. I think it would be really good if you're using your truck for overlanding. Lots of accessible places to store stuff.
    I really don’t like all the organization I see a lot of people do; I feel like I can pack a lot more if it’s not so compartmentalized.

Well, that logic, and maybe I just don’t like organization in general.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I feel like I can fit a lot more paper on my desk when it's strewn about randomly.
    People have a tendency to bring to much. Yes there are things needed to camp eat sleep bath items and of course coffee and beer. I have seen three axes half kegs of beer 55 inch TV's 60 gallons of water for an overnight trip.

Starting out hiking camping did make me condense things down. Still stayed condensed and that is why the wife hates to go with me other than the fact we are married

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Cool thread. I’m down for some overlanding. Been wanting to do it for a long time. This is our year I think. Prepping our 2003 Yukon XL for some fun family adventures this year. We are planning a trip to the Ozarks in June. It was that or the UP, but my wife’s dad lives In Arkansas and she hasn’t seen him in years, I’ve never met him yet. So we will do that this year.

Have a few things to do to our rig, some maintenance and some upgrades. Small lift and some tires are in order.

That 7 hr plane crash trip sounds awesome! We would probably drive up to Luddington, MI and take the Ferry over to WI, then drive it from there. The ferry is on my list of need to do’s.

The rig now in stock form..

6A68C5BC-54E8-4342-AD51-E4F8E4A64A26.jpeg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    At least you guys with Jeeps can buy aftermarket parts… They don’t exactly make much for out Yukon. But I’ve got a welder. Lol. Two girls and my wife and I will be sleeping in the truck. First thing is to make a loft bed for the rear so we all fit. Roof storage is a must..

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cool thread. I’m down for some overlanding. Been wanting to do it for a long time. This is our year I think. Prepping our 2003 Yukon XL for some fun family adventures this year. We are planning a trip to the Ozarks in June. It was that or the UP, but my wife’s dad lives In Arkansas and she hasn’t seen him in years, I’ve never met him yet. So we will do that this year.

Have a few things to do to our rig, some maintenance and some upgrades. Small lift and some tires are in order.

That 7 hr plane crash trip sounds awesome! We would probably drive up to Luddington, MI and take the Ferry over to WI, then drive it from there. The ferry is on my list of need to do’s.

The rig now in stock form..

View attachment 253538
    The ferry is on my list of things to do and it allows me to not drive thru Chicago. I believe it is 145 dollars to take your truck suv across on the ferry.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    View attachment 253321
    Some trails in the UP get pretty narrow if you’re fat like me.
    That’s not paint scratches, that’s memories and character marks.

For being nearly completely flat, we had a great time in the UP. Somehow, when you’re up there, it feels like big country like out west, even though it’s not.

Only trip to the UP we spent 3 days hiking the Pictured Rocks trail and then 3 days just driving around camping in random spots.

Ton of resources over on Overland Bound if you’re into it. I was active over there when it first started but not for a while.
    In my early 20s, had a 1989 Toyota 4x4,
    Extended cab. Buddy and I took our kayaks, mountain bikes, and backpacks to the UP. We
    did 4 days of backpacking/camping Pictured Rocks trails. The rest, mild 4x4 logging roads, kayaking and mountain biking. It’s one of the most memorable trips in my life. I agree gives you that feeling of “Big Sky Country “ without all the boring highway driving getting there.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The ferry is on my list of things to do and it allows me to not drive thru Chicago. I believe it is 145 dollars to take your truck suv across on the ferry.
    I really want to do it in my 1970 Lemans, I was even kinda planning to loop around and come back through mackinaw, but this route is a truck route lol. I will always do everything possible to avoid driving through chicago. No thanks. Too many experiences when I was younger going to visit family there. No plans to ever go back.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    At least you guys with Jeeps can buy aftermarket parts… They don’t exactly make much for out Yukon. But I’ve got a welder. Lol. Two girls and my wife and I will be sleeping in the truck. First thing is to make a loft bed for the rear so we all fit. Roof storage is a must..
    Yeah, that is true except it is becoming increasingly difficult to find quality aftermarket parts. It's bad enough that I am considering never buying an older vehicle to rebuild/restore anymore.

I scour the internet for NOS parts but I don't find a lot.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, that is true except it is becoming increasingly difficult to find quality aftermarket parts. It's bad enough that I am considering never buying an older vehicle to rebuild/restore anymore.

I scour the internet for NOS parts but I don't find a lot.
    Your jeep is at that awkward spot, the factory parts are drying up, but the hood restoration parts haven’t started up yet. It will get there, but it may be 10 more years… Heck we are having one heck of time getting parts for any of our restoration projects in the shop… That said, I’d still rather drive an older vehicle. Especially off road. Too many electronics for my liking.

I will most likely be building a front bumper for our Yukon as the aftermarket’s are way too expensive. I’d like to put a winch on for just in case… Especially as I cut my teeth off road. Bound to get myself jammed up. And step bar/sliders. My wife and girls both need them to get in the truck, but anything factory just bolts to the rocker and folds up at any hint of grass… So I’ll build something stout that bolts to the frame.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Your jeep is at that awkward spot, the factory parts are drying up, but the hood restoration parts haven’t started up yet. It will get there, but it may be 10 more years… Heck we are having one heck of time getting parts for any of our restoration projects in the shop… That said, I’d still rather drive an older vehicle. Especially off road. Too many electronics for my liking.

I will most likely be building a front bumper for our Yukon as the aftermarket’s are way too expensive. I’d like to put a winch on for just in case… Especially as I cut my teeth off road. Bound to get myself jammed up. And step bar/sliders. My wife and girls both need them to get in the truck, but anything factory just bolts to the rocker and folds up at any hint of grass… So I’ll build something stout that bolts to the frame.
    This reminds me of something I'm looking for. I'm going to PM you.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I would probably be money ahead to buy yours. I can't believe how much I'm sinking into mine to just get it what I consider roadworthy. I haven't even gotten to the cool stuff yet!
    Half the fun is building them up just like you want! I had plans for my Cherokee until I bought the 4Runner, now it doesn’t get near enough love!

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    If you go up to the 7 hour plane crash trail and like to bike, there are a ton of mountain bike trails up there. Was in Copper Harbor a couple years ago. I looked into the KAT when it was mentioned on the board before and would be interested in an easy section or just camping with the van. The Jeep I had listed on here sold.

If you have the On X offroad app, trails can be found closer to Indiana for some quick fun or testing your setup. North to South there's Badlands in Attica, Redbird in Dugger and Interlake in Spurgeon. Camped at Interlake a decade ago.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Plenty of wide open stuff for that to work.
    Tacos, jeeps and what not are all the hotness for good reason but full size is still a blast. Cummins for the win too.

Had an awesome ride through the San Juan’s, some of the passes I wanted to do were closed from snow in September, and that was probably a good thing so I didn’t try going down Bridal Veil Falls or something stupid like that, in a Tundra.

Don’t know how much experience you have sleeping in a topper, but you definitely need some ventilation/exhaust.
    I ran a Wrangler Rubicon in Ouray, back in 15. It was a great time. Going to run the Megacab on Engineer Pass next summer.

Top Bottom