• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know we have a Jeep thread, but a few folks like @jamil @Principal Skinr have expressed interest in off roading/overlanding and maybe a thread that's not Jeep specific would be handy. Especially if people want to try and coordinate a trip. I'm looking in to do doing sections of the KAT and doing the 7 hour Plane Crash trail this year if anyone is interested. The Plane Crash trail is supposed to be doable with any 4x4 with 10" of ground clearance or more so it may be a nice beginner or shake out trail. It's in Wisconsin and Michigan and takes, as implied, roughly 7 hours of driving to complete.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So your new truck is 4x4. I told my wife we don't need 4x4 because we would never use it, we don't go 4 wheeling. She said we could go 4 wheeling.
    She had 2 Jeeps and 2 Firebirds. What do I know except I'm wrong again. :lmfao:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So your new truck is 4x4. I told my wife we don't need 4x4 because we would never use it, we don't go 4 wheeling. She said we could go 4 wheeling.

Nearly every truck I've owned has been 4x4, with only a '75 Chevy long bed being the exception. I used the 4wd more when I lived in the country and mostly for snow or occasional work (mostly tree/firewood related sorts of endeavors) but I haven't done trails since I had my Scout II.

I'm in a Power Wagon now, a 75th anniversary edition, and looking forward to some trails again. It is, by far, the most capable truck I've ever owned in this regard but it is a trail whale, so it's not going to fit some of the places a Scout or TJ would go of course. I just needed something I could both off road with and not stab my eyes out if I drive it to TX or CO, and the PW ended up being that choice. F-150 Tremor was a strong contender, though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Told ya. They’re omnipresent. And you’re always wrong. Past. Present. Future. Accept it.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Nearly every truck I've owned has been 4x4, with only a '75 Chevy long bed being the exception. I used the 4wd more when I lived in the country and mostly for snow or occasional work (mostly tree/firewood related sorts of endeavors) but I haven't done trails since I had my Scout II.

I'm in a Power Wagon now, a 75th anniversary edition, and looking forward to some trails again. It is, by far, the most capable truck I've ever owned in this regard but it is a trail whale, so it's not going to fit some of the places a Scout or TJ would go of course. I just needed something I could both off road with and not stab my eyes out if I drive it to TX or CO, and the PW ended up being that choice. F-150 Tremor was a strong contender, though.
    What's that saying?
    Something... something... compensating, something... something? :dunno::stickpoke:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's that saying?
    Something... something... compensating, something... something? :dunno::stickpoke:

george-costanza-i-was-in-the-pool.gif

I will say the PW is great for compensating for middle aged fading night vision. The headlights are incredible, but you do have to get the highest trim level to get them. The lens focuses the headlights in accordance with your steering inputs, so your eye line is always on the brightest part of the beam. At lower speeds cornering lights come on to light up the normally dark areas around the front of the truck.

And yes, driving it makes me feel like King of the Hillbillies. I like it. :D

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Posting to follow and interested. Both 4x4, wife might kill me if I get the white one dirty though.

Attachments

• 20221227_161606.jpg
      20221227_161606.jpg
      869.7 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_0477.jpg
      IMG_0477.jpg
      429.8 KB · Views: 10

Lpherr

Occupied
    george-costanza-i-was-in-the-pool.gif

I will say the PW is great for compensating for middle aged fading night vision. The headlights are incredible, but you do have to get the highest trim level to get them. The lens focuses the headlights in accordance with your steering inputs, so your eye line is always on the brightest part of the beam. At lower speeds cornering lights come on to light up the normally dark areas around the front of the truck.

And yes, driving it makes me feel like King of the Hillbillies. I like it. :D

I thought every truck/4x4 owner, had at least two of these mounted.

1675629289445.png

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think the PW was probably the right choice if it’s between two trail whales. It’s got more off road goodie’s than the Tremor, since that seems to be the priority.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Haven't really off roaded since I was in my 20's, and then it was more of mudding.

But a few years ago we went to the U.P so we (the wife) could see some light houses.
    Up in Copper Harbor, on lake Superior. Where Hwy 41 begins, or ends I guess depending on how you look at it. Is a trail that takes you out on a peninsula in Lake Superior.
    Trail is pretty easy, most spots you don't really need 4x4. There is (was) a washed out section and 1 creek crossing.
    The view was worth the trip through the woods. That was the second time I've made the trip.

Some of the other lighthouses we went to see along Lake Superior were on 2 tracks but nothing special as far as trails.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Haven't really off roaded since I was in my 20's, and then it was more of mudding.

But a few years ago we went to the U.P so we (the wife) could see some light houses.
    Up in Copper Harbor, on lake Superior. Where Hwy 41 begins, or ends I guess depending on how you look at it. Is a trail that takes you out on a peninsula in Lake Superior.
    Trail is pretty easy, most spots you don't really need 4x4. There is (was) a washed out section and 1 creek crossing.
    The view was worth the trip through the woods. That was the second time I've made the trip.

Some of the other lighthouses we went to see along Lake Superior were on 2 tracks but nothing special as far as trails.

That's part of the 7 Hour Plane Crash Trail I mentioned up thread.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the PW was probably the right choice if it’s between two trail whales. It’s got more off road goodie’s than the Tremor, since that seems to be the priority.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Not much of an overlander or off-roader. Now I would like to try things out. Just like easy trails so I don’t have to replace anything ( the cheap ass in me) or tear anything up. I do like to get out of cell phone range and like the backwoods.
    I would be interested.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I remember that thread.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I'm interested, but it's claiming 2-3 days...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I'm interested, but it's claiming 2-3 days...

That's if you stretch it to camp intentionally. Just driving it is a 7 hour ish trip.

Top Bottom