• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Interesting. The results aren’t exactly counterintuitive though.

What a detailed job he did!
    I was kind of surprised by some of the results.
    I wish he would have done it on the front end, I think they would have flexed more with the engine weight and he would have seen a bigger difference. Or have used a load range c or d tire.

As someone who has only dealt with A LOT of mud but no real rock crawling, if the vehicle is light enough to float, wide is great. If you have a heavy truck, you almost need to cut down through the mud to a supporting layer. Until there’s not one.

I can definitely say that sidewall lugs can get you though a lot of mud.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I made a terrible decision when I switched tires on my tundra. Went with 20x10 wheels on the advice that that’s what would look cool.
    Well they do, unless you know what’s up, like to actually want sidewall flex and contact patch.
    I’ll air down to 10 or 12 on an extended dirt road out west or in the UP and the ride is amazing, but still wish I had some real rubber.
    Oh well, next time is approaching hopefully.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think the main deal for me is I still need gas mileage more than bigger tires. FJ's have small gas tanks and alcoholic thirsty engines. 16 plus gallon storage plus 16 miles to a gallon. Drop 32/33pn it and that should drop MPG to 14 or under without regear. For now I will go with what the Japanese engineers said will work well.

I love the look but I am driving highway also. Plus the chances of me crawling rocks are far less than the normal person following this thread. I am more of a get to the out of the way fishing spot camp type than the let's get to the end point this way type. I could and have done this in a Pontiac vibe well with a few recovery periods and several times the car would never make it. Then I walked.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the main deal for me is I still need gas mileage more than bigger tires. FJ's have small gas tanks and alcoholic thirsty engines. 16 plus gallon storage plus 16 miles to a gallon. Drop 32/33pn it and that should drop MPG to 14 or under without regear. For now I will go with what the Japanese engineers said will work well.

That's one reason I'm sticking with 35" and not 37". Luckily it's easy to carry jerry cans in a pickup, but I'm driving long highway miles to get to a lot of the places I want to go. 37" would mean a lot more gas stops, they are significantly more expensive when they wear out, and I'd have to do some minor modifications (trim a pinch weld area, remove mud flaps up front) the 1" in height difference isn't really worth it. They look sweet, though.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I

I love the look but I am driving highway also. Plus the chances of me crawling rocks are far less than the normal person following this thread. I am more of a get to the out of the way fishing spot camp type than the let's get to the end point this way type. I could and have done this in a Pontiac vibe well with a few recovery periods and several times the car would never make it. Then I walked.
    I drove my tundra home from Cleveland and got 18-20 mpg.
    The poor tundra didn’t stand a chance, I immediately put more aggressive tires on it and then a lift and I average 12 it seems.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Dang. Yer getting EV range. :):

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    View attachment 336077

I’m interested. Used to overland a lot in the west coast and was bummed that it’s not really a thing out here. Most I do now is driving on a dirt trail to my hunting spot. I miss it.
    You can still overland here!
    It's just flatter and more boring.
    And you have to pretend that the corn is pine trees.
    And that the humidity is a nice cool breeze.
    Use your imagination!

Top Bottom