• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think some counties (maybe most?) do require registration of orv’s to use on county roads. That’s probably ignored by most though.
    Not sure how registration changes anything though.

That's the problem with the ORV's. Once you let them on the road, it's carte blanche. The door is open to foolishness. I have watched helmetless little kids on four wheelers blast around with total disregard for traffic laws, signs, etc. The riders and their "parents" all know that cops are spread so thin these days that there is never an officer on patrol just to watch for traffic violations. Even if the cops come, (which they don't,) they are so far out that the perps are long gone. And or they all look the same as the rest of the ORV's.

Registration points to who is responsible for the vehicle. Everyone has a camera in their pocket, sometimes already mounted up to capture traffic problems.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That's the problem with the ORV's. Once you let them on the road, it's carte blanche. The door is open to foolishness. I have watched helmetless little kids on four wheelers blast around with total disregard for traffic laws, signs, etc. The riders and their "parents" all know that cops are spread so thin these days that there is never an officer on patrol just to watch for traffic violations. Even if the cops come, (which they don't,) they are so far out that the perps are long gone. And or they all look the same as the rest of the ORV's.

Registration points to who is responsible for the vehicle. Everyone has a camera in their pocket, sometimes already mounted up to capture traffic problems.

It seems from my reading registration is required, and travel on public roads is prohibited unless specifically allowed by the county. Registration comes with 2 sets of stickers.

Here was my jumping off point, lots of links, even to IC.

So a law requiring registration is not required, it already exists. It’s obviously not enforced, which is the problem (for some).

It just seems like gun control to me. Not very effective from a top down approach, without increasing the number of police to an inordinate amount. That’s where I got my big government comment from.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Good to know on the insurance. Thanks for the info!

It's not big government, it's just equal gov't. The rest of us need to register our vehicles to use the roadways, so should everybody. Especially those who are notorious for impeding traffic, without concern. Vehicle registration brings some accountability to that problem.

:twocents:
    Nah. Unnecessary government involvement. If you get stuck behind a tractor it’s because you’re driving in farm country. Farm equipment’s primary purpose is not driving on roads. There is no reason to tax, register, and plate them.

Should cyclists have to plate their bikes to ride on roads?

Oh how bout this? There’s a subdivision down the street from me. A guy I know who lives there does the mowing of common areas. He drives his lawn tractor on the neighborhood streets to get to the different areas to mow. Does his lawn mower need to be taxed, registered, and plated? Does he have to have turn signals and break lights too?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bear!

(I think)

Grizzly. I thought it was, but showed pics to a park ranger to confirm it wasn't a black bear. I thought so based on the claws but he said the amount of curve under the toes is the easiest tell. Also, I can now confirm that bears do, in fact, sh.. in the woods. And in greater quantity than I would have expected.

We've hit up Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Been a really beautiful trip.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Ok, I'm a total noob to this other than being a passenger in @ditcherman 's awesome rig last summer. (See up thread a page or so).

I'm bumping the thread to announce I just found out "Expedition Overland" is now on Amazon. It's from like 2014ish. Encouraging other noobs to watch because, you know, addicts like company.
    Finished season 1 and apparently other seasons are available also.
    I have a feeling this is going to effect me, financially. Keep an eye out for good deals from me in the classifieds. :-)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ok, I'm a total noob to this other than being a passenger in @ditcherman 's awesome rig last summer. (See up thread a page or so).

I'm bumping the thread to announce I just found out "Expedition Overland" is now on Amazon. It's from like 2014ish. Encouraging other noobs to watch because, you know, addicts like company.
    I have a feeling this is going to effect me, financially. Keep an eye out for good deals from me in the classifieds. :-)
    Remember you don’t need all the Toys to do it. A rig that is dependable and a place to sleep. Doing It will let you know what you need more than watching it. The one thing to emphasize is having gear inside the vehicle secured as I have seen a couple injuries with flying equipment.

A six inch lift 37’s and re gear plus a supercharger looks nice but a would rather have dependable than super rock crawler with all the bells and whistles. Heck I did well with a 1980’s ford ranger 4x4 as far as getting on trail and having some fun.

Personally I just want to get away from the crowds and maybe find a nice fishing spot. If the better half does not come along I can sleep pretty well about anywhere and don’t mind eating a PB And J or three. When she goes I feel like the only thing that would make her happy is if we could tow the house with us.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

Hey you drove some too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Anybody have any feedback on these diff guards:

I did a Carli up front but I don't see where they make a rear diff guard for a PW.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Anybody have any feedback on these diff guards:

I did a Carli up front but I don't see where they make a rear diff guard for a PW.
    Hey somebody's getting serious about rock crawling now aren't we!

I don't have any feedback on those, but I have feedback on them in general.
    I was talking to someone about them for my latest build ('73 FJ40 4 door with a 6BT cummins) and they suggested that when you hit those they will crack and you'll lose all your fluid. When you hit a sheet metal one, it will dent and you may rub a hole in it but you may not lose all the fluid. Guy wasn't an off-roader but was a mechanic for a lifetime.

I'm not sure the one you linked would crack! And they look cool!

Lights before lockers, right?

ETA Whoa I just looked closer at that link and saw that's actually a guard that goes over the OEM. That's a really good design!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lights before lockers, right?

ETA Whoa I just looked closer at that link and saw that's actually a guard that goes over the OEM. That's a really good design!

Factory lockers, so covered there.

Yeah, the guard I have up front is similar, it just bolts over the OEM diff cover. I don't think I'm going to drop on anything hard enough to crack the factory cover, but even something relatively minor could crumple it enough to push it into the gears if I were to reverse in to it accidentally.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Rock crawling a $100K power wagon. On the surface it sounds crazy. But if you buy something like that, you’re not getting your money’s worth not using it. Might as well bleed every ounce of enjoyment out of it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Rock crawling a $100K power wagon. On the surface it sounds crazy. But if you buy something like that, you’re not getting your money’s worth not using it. Might as well bleed every ounce of enjoyment out of it.

I'm sure there's plenty of people in this thread doing a lot more hardcore stuff than me, I just know I'm alone most of the time and want to minimize the risk of being stuck due to breakage. Being stupid as smartly as possible, I guess.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sure there's plenty of people in this thread doing a lot more hardcore stuff than me, I just know I'm alone most of the time and want to minimize the risk of being stuck due to breakage. Being stupid as smartly as possible, I guess.
    That’s kinda the way I think about it. I’m really not into hardcore rock crawling for the sake of rock crawling. I just like to go places and see things I couldn’t see from the road. So maybe I have to crawl over some rocks to get there. And usually the journey makes the destination more enjoyable.

The better equipped I am the more places I can go. Whether you buy a vehicle that already has the big tires, bead-locks, lift, lockers, rock rails, winch, skid plates, etcetera, or build it up yourself, you make it less likely you’ll strand yourself.

Top Bottom