• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    I've been using pinto beans as a filler. They help to fill you up, they are nutritious, natural fiber, low in calories, so a large bowl along with a small meal, not only keeps me regular, but it has my boobies developing nicely.

(Insert purple to your liking)

giphy.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No one is required to comply with my beliefs nor did I say anything to that affect. Just noting the silliness of not complying with their own beliefs. It makes little sense to fundamentally disagree with eating meat, then eat a product designed to mimic that which you fundamentally disagree with.

You keep saying it's inconsistent without explaining how it's inconsistent. In the simplest terms I can muster, eating something that is not meat is not in consistent with not eating meat. It doesn't matter what it looks or tastes like. It's not meat. There's nothing inconsistent about that.

I'll agree with you that it's kinda silly to make fake fish look like real fish. No one is fooled by that. I've never tried it. I kinda don't think it tastes like fish. Same with the fake bacon. They even color it to look like it has fat. That's kinda silly. Don't call it fish or bacon. And for **** sake don't put fake coloring in it and pretend it's fat.

But that's the reason it's silly and not because there's anything inconsistent with someone's professed beliefs to eat meat analogs.

"Burgers?" Now that's more of a practical matter. Having some kind of patty in a sandwich is convenient to prepare and eat.

If eating meat is wrong, then why process veggies to imitate meat? For that matter, how do people that believe that eating meat is wrong even credibly create a product to mimic meat?

I think this may be the most informative about your whole problem with it. That some people think that eating meat is wrong. Why care? It's what they believe. So what? That doesn't make it wrong for you. They have to live with their belief. Not you. Is that part of it? You think there's nothing wrong with eating meat and some people think there is?

Sure it is. I don't care if people eat this stuff or not. However, maintaining that the practice of eating meat is inherently bad and then seeking food that imitates meat is logically inconsistent.

There you go again. And once again, tt does not follow logically that not eating meat is inconsistent with not eating meat. It doesn't have to make sense to you for it to be consistent for them.

As I made perfectly clear the first time, neither my comments nor the marketing of these products are aimed at those with religious prohibitions against meat. My point is that there's a bit of a difference between eating a veggie sandwich and eating a product made to taste like and resemble meat.
    Veggies are veggies, other than the over-processing that happens with some of the meat analogues. There are so many diverse reasons for people to chose to be eat this stuff. And yeah, there is a difference between eating some vegetable based food and eating something made to taste like and resemble meat. The ones that try to resemble meat, in my experience, don't taste as good as those that just try to taste good. But the difference really ends there other than the silliness of all the processing that goes into making it resemble meat. So, like I said, I'll give you that much.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You keep saying it's inconsistent without explaining how it's inconsistent. In the simplest terms I can muster, eating something that is not meat is not in consistent with not eating meat. It doesn't matter what it looks or tastes like. It's not meat. There's nothing inconsistent about that.

I'll agree with you that it's kinda silly to make fake fish look like real fish. No one is fooled by that. I've never tried it. I kinda don't think it tastes like fish. Same with the fake bacon. They even color it to look like it has fat. That's kinda silly. Don't call it fish or bacon. And for **** sake don't put fake coloring in it and pretend it's fat.

But that's the reason it's silly and not because there's anything inconsistent with someone's professed beliefs to eat meat analogs.

"Burgers?" Now that's more of a practical matter. Having some kind of patty in a sandwich is convenient to prepare and eat.

I think this may be the most informative about your whole problem with it. That some people think that eating meat is wrong. Why care? It's what they believe. So what? That doesn't make it wrong for you. They have to live with their belief. Not you. Is that part of it? You think there's nothing wrong with eating meat and some people think there is?

There you go again. And once again, tt does not follow logically that not eating meat is inconsistent with not eating meat. It doesn't have to make sense to you for it to be consistent for them.

Veggies are veggies, other than the over-processing that happens with some of the meat analogues. There are so many diverse reasons for people to chose to be eat this stuff. And yeah, there is a difference between eating some vegetable based food and eating something made to taste like and resemble meat. The ones that try to resemble meat, in my experience, don't taste as good as those that just try to taste good. But the difference really ends there other than the silliness of all the processing that goes into making it resemble meat. So, like I said, I'll give you that much.
    I really can't make it any simpler for you. If you hold the position that something is wrong, then seek to imitate what you hold to be wrong, you're not being very consistent. To believe that it is inherently wrong to eat a dead chicken but to want your veggies to look and taste like a dead chicken is not being consistent.

The over the top level some products go to imitate meat is silly but it's not the start of the silliness, it's just carrying the silliness to the last degree.

I think most of the reasons people give for not eating meat are rather silly and are not supported by the facts they claim. It is their choice though and I do not begrudge them that. Again, that is not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about the ones that take the next step and conclude that eating meat is bad but have no problem with imitating it. However, that doesn't stop them from promoting their inconsistency nor me from noticing it. I'm sorry but "why care" is a pathetically weak and silly argument to attempt to make. The clear and obvious counter argument, why care that I care? It seems to bother you much more that I have an opinion contrary to your own than it bothers me that people choose not eat meat or even that people who believe eating meat is wrong are inconsistent.

There are different reasons someone might choose to eat this stuff but I'm only commenting on one of those reasons. No, it doesn't have to make sense to me but neither does their self justification preclude me from noticing or commenting on it.

gemihur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By our design, we are omnivores.
    Eat what gives you joy and ignore that which does not. Do not frustrate yourself with trends that don't appeal to you, but embrace and appreciate the diversified tastes of others.
    Since my marriage to a wonderful woman, 20 years my junior, I've been offered a broad range of dishes that would have otherwise never been my choice. Some were fabulous and others disappointing. My health overall is much improved and will be maintained by her gifted addition to my life.
    Boys will be boys and left to our own devices won't be around as long.
    Eat hearty, fellas!
    Jimmy

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I really can't make it any simpler for you. If you hold the position that something is wrong, then seek to imitate what you hold to be wrong, you're not being very consistent. To believe that it is inherently wrong to eat a dead chicken but to want your veggies to look and taste like a dead chicken is not being consistent.

The over the top level some products go to imitate meat is silly but it's not the start of the silliness, it's just carrying the silliness to the last degree.

I think most of the reasons people give for not eating meat are rather silly and are not supported by the facts they claim. It is their choice though and I do not begrudge them that. Again, that is not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about the ones that take the next step and conclude that eating meat is bad but have no problem with imitating it. However, that doesn't stop them from promoting their inconsistency nor me from noticing it. I'm sorry but "why care" is a pathetically weak and silly argument to attempt to make. The clear and obvious counter argument, why care that I care? It seems to bother you much more that I have an opinion contrary to your own than it bothers me that people choose not eat meat or even that people who believe eating meat is wrong are inconsistent.

There are different reasons someone might choose to eat this stuff but I'm only commenting on one of those reasons. No, it doesn't have to make sense to me but neither does their self justification preclude me from noticing or commenting on it.
    No one is saying that you’re nit free to comment on it. But then obviously people are equally free to push back on those comments.

Maybe I can say it this way. By eating meat analogs People aren’t seeking to emulate the thing they hold as wrong. They see it just as an acceptable substitute for the thing they think is wrong. Regardless of whatever is their moral reasoning. I don’t think people eating the fake chicken, fish, bacon, think they’re getting away with a technicality, lol.

I think that’s most obviously the part you don’t get about the people who do it. And I think you’re judging them with your own standards instead of theirs. And that’s the thing that has underlaid my points. In their moral beliefs they are consistent. They’re just not consistent with yours.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No one is saying that you’re nit free to comment on it. But then obviously people are equally free to push back on those comments.

Maybe I can say it this way. By eating meat analogs People aren’t seeking to emulate the thing they hold as wrong. They see it just as an acceptable substitute for the thing they think is wrong. Regardless of whatever is their moral reasoning. I don’t think people eating the fake chicken, fish, bacon, think they’re getting away with a technicality, lol.

I think that’s most obviously the part you don’t get about the people who do it. And I think you’re judging them with your own standards instead of theirs. And that’s the thing that has underlaid my points. In their moral beliefs they are consistent. They’re just not consistent with yours.
    Sounds like a lot of moral relativism going on…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sounds like a lot of moral relativism going on…
    There are moral absolutes. But beyond those moral thinking is relative. It’s not morally wrong to eat meat. But it is for some people. It’s not morally wrong to **** standing up. But it is for some people.

The morals that are consistent across time and cultures are what I’d call moral absolutes. The ones that differ are relative. Can you wipe your ass with the same hand you eat with? In some cultures you can’t.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

See, that's where you're mistaken. I'm judging them, if having an opinion is a judgement, by what they claim to believe compared to how they act.

Lpherr

Occupied
    There are moral absolutes. But beyond those moral thinking is relative. It’s not morally wrong to eat meat. But it is for some people. It’s not morally wrong to **** standing up. But it is for some people.

The morals that are consistent across time and cultures are what I’d call moral absolutes. The ones that differ are relative. Can you wipe your ass with the same hand you eat with? In some cultures you can’t.

Not at the same time.:dunno:

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Someone help me understand the impossible burger. Apparently this thing is supposed to taste like a real hamburger but is made of vegetables (or some other "plants").

My question is why.

If you want "plants" then eat plants.

If you want a burger, then eat a burger.

If you have the eating disorder of vegetarianism and are "craving" a burger then that is probably your body telling you that you need the nutrients provided by delicious beef.

Seriously, what marketing genius decided this was worth the money to make and then spend more money on advertising. What was the purpose? Virtue signaling? Warping reality?

As an aside, what is the revenue from the sales of the fake burgers and fake sausage? [insert high school joke here]

I quit going to BK because of the company's anti-gun efforts. But that was just after the Impossible Whopper was introduced, and I really liked it. It doesn't taste like a real hamburger at all, but since I was raised in the Seventh Day Adventist Church, I'm used to the taste of soy meat substitutes, I even like some of them. Fast food is great for its convenience, but fast food burgers are made from some really poor quality meat. The 'IW' was a burger-like sandwich without all the salt and gristle. I love good burgers but those aren't to be found in drive-throughs, an IW was a decent substitute.

Does BK still offer the Impossible Whopper? It would be interesting to know how it's been selling since its introduction. Anyway, I ate them as an alternative to BK's wretched hamburger meat. I used to love McDonald's cheeseburgers too, but they have too much salt now, if they didn't always. For me vegetarian meat substitutes are preferable to cheap meat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See, that's where you're mistaken. I'm judging them, if having an opinion is a judgement, by what they claim to believe compared to how they act.
    But you’re judging them by your rules and not theirs. Why does it matter, in any context of moral judgement, what they eat if they think they shouldn’t eat meat and dont. It’s you who is imposimg a requirement that they don’t.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    But you’re judging them by your rules and not theirs. Why does it matter, in any context of moral judgement, what they eat if they think they shouldn’t eat meat and dont. It’s you who is imposimg a requirement that they don’t.
    I guess that's in keeping with today's logic where one decides their gender, species, etc. I think I'll stick to avoiding such mental gymnastics.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess that's in keeping with today's logic where one decides their gender, species, etc. I think I'll stick to avoiding such mental gymnastics.
    It’s not that at all. It’s not mental gymnastics to believe you shouldn’t eat meat. And then not eat meat. You’re imposing the additional requirement not to eat anything that’s made to look like meat on them. And it’s not a logical issue anyway. Morals aren’t logically derived. Yours aren’t logically derived. Neither are mine. And that’s not a knock on your moral beliefs or mine.

Top Bottom