• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What is wrong with fundamentally disagreeing with eating meat? Why must people comply with your beliefs? What’s so difficult about living and let living? You kinda give that lip service while criticizing that people who eat this stuff are being inconsistent. That said, vegans are annoying because they can’t live and let live either.

This is not true. You act as if this is the only reason people might want to eat “fake” burgers. But even so, it’s a product on the market that many people like. They taste pretty good. Isn’t that good enough reason? People aren’t fooling themselves. They know what they’re getting. Just like they know what they’re getting with Turkey burgers.

You answered your own problem statement. Yes, it is keeping with their own religion. For example, a Hindu eating a veggie burger is in keeping with his religion. He can’t eat meat. Eating vegetables in the form of a patty in a sandwich is just a handy way to eat vegetables. Don’t you think that fits in the set of “any other sandwich is convenient, handy way to eat whatever is contained within? The limits of your imagination doesn’t mark the boundaries of ither people’s beliefs. They get to make their own judgements.

Sure. You’re free to express your opinions, albeit constrained within the limits of your own imagination.

This is ironic. No one said that you can’t express your opinion. But people get to express theirs in disagreement with your opinion, just as you’re asserting your right, right here, to to disagree with theirs.
    No one is required to comply with my beliefs nor did I say anything to that affect. Just noting the silliness of not complying with their own beliefs. It makes little sense to fundamentally disagree with eating meat, then eat a product designed to mimic that which you fundamentally disagree with. If eating meat is wrong, then why process veggies to imitate meat? For that matter, how do people that believe that eating meat is wrong even credibly create a product to mimic meat?

Sure it is. I don't care if people eat this stuff or not. However, maintaining that the practice of eating meat is inherently bad and then seeking food that imitates meat is logically inconsistent.

As I made perfectly clear the first time, neither my comments nor the marketing of these products are aimed at those with religious prohibitions against meat. My point is that there's a bit of a difference between eating a veggie sandwich and eating a product made to taste like and resemble meat.

I don't know, I can imagine a lot of things. For instance, I can imagine a world where reading comprehension is not a problem, where people stick to arguing points actually made, and avoid sophistry on principle. Alas, reality often demonstrates the folly of such a fanciful imagination.

Go back and read the post I was replying to and the preceding one which were suggesting people should not express opinions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It makes little sense to fundamentally disagree with eating meat, then eat a product designed to mimic that which you fundamentally disagree with. If eating meat is wrong, then why process veggies to imitate meat? For that matter, how do people that believe that eating meat is wrong even credibly create a product to mimic meat?
    I agree!

I have an analogy that has bugged me for years. All these people that claim not to use foul language then I hear them “shut the front door”. Really? All manner of words for GD, SOB, you name it. It is not okay to say them directly but just virginal peachy to use substitutes but have the same intent. I certainly use bad language, so not calling that out, but I am callout the hypocrisy of substituting words with the same intent.

So yes, most vegans are preachy ***holes that demonize eating meat and are happy for a meat substitute. Kind of like a cult that sacrifices a lifelike babies complete with fake blood. That is ****ed up…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Any difference between substituting "fake meat" for real meat and substituting diet soda for regular soda?
    Did the person doing so demonize regular soda as wrong, immoral, evil, or criminal? If so it is the same. If one says I love Coke but have to cut calories and now I drink Coke Zero, nope.

But you knew that…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did the person doing so demonize regular soda as wrong, immoral, evil, or criminal? If so it is the same. If one says I love Coke but have to cut calories and now I drink Coke Zero, nope.

But you knew that…
    But some people have said that they like the fake meat just because of dietary concerns (allegedly healthier, etc.). I'm not talking about anybody demonizing anything, although sugary drinks have certainly had their share of demonizing too.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But some people have said that they like the fake meat just because of dietary concerns (allegedly healthier, etc.). I'm not talking about anybody demonizing anything, although sugary drinks have certainly had their share of demonizing too.
    We were talking those that demonize meat, slaughter, and butchering to create meat but they want to copycat the end products. If a hamburger is, insert all bad names a confirmed vegan would call it, then it is sick to want a substitute just like that which is so bad.

Just eat a bowl of beans or rice…

I have no problem with a normal person substituting for whatever reasons…

I still believe this is part of the reset that eliminates meat from our diets over time…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We were talking those that demonize meat, slaughter, and butchering to create meat but they want to copycat the end products. If a hamburger is, insert all bad names a confirmed vegan would call it, then it is sick to want a substitute just like that which is so bad.

Just eat a bowl of beans or rice…
    Right. There are two (at least) groups with differing reasons for eating it. That's all I'm saying.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well, there's the whole pineapple on pizza thing, so...
    You rang?

R.da38109fc8f0ec57b7396d49b42632bc

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No one is required to comply with my beliefs nor did I say anything to that affect. Just noting the silliness of not complying with their own beliefs. It makes little sense to fundamentally disagree with eating meat, then eat a product designed to mimic that which you fundamentally disagree with. If eating meat is wrong, then why process veggies to imitate meat? For that matter, how do people that believe that eating meat is wrong even credibly create a product to mimic meat?
    I'll have to disagree, many people believe that infidelity is bad. Many of those same people engage in fantasy/roll play to simulate such to add variety. This isn't really any different.

And most vegetarians/vegans used to eat meat, at least IME. There is a growing portion that have grown up in a vegan household that may never have though. So they do have experience with what meats taste/texture is.

I've also known some vegan/vegetarian households that have bought fake meat when they or their kids have guests over. It let's them serve something approaching what their guests are used to.
    Sure it is. I don't care if people eat this stuff or not. However, maintaining that the practice of eating meat is inherently bad and then seeking food that imitates meat is logically inconsistent.
    I'll again have to disagree.
    As I made perfectly clear the first time, neither my comments nor the marketing of these products are aimed at those with religious prohibitions against meat. My point is that there's a bit of a difference between eating a veggie sandwich and eating a product made to taste like and resemble meat.
    I can agree with this.
    I agree!

I have an analogy that has bugged me for years. All these people that claim not to use foul language then I hear them “shut the front door”. Really? All manner of words for GD, SOB, you name it. It is not okay to say them directly but just virginal peachy to use substitutes but have the same intent. I certainly use bad language, so not calling that out, but I am callout the hypocrisy of substituting words with the same intent.
    Lots of words have the same intent, some are "polite" and some are not. Please be quiet has the same intent as shut the **** up. One would be proper in church one would not. At least IMO. Or look at INGO, we can use all sorts of words to the same intent as the asterisked out one I used. Is that hypocrisy? And I use "bad language" as well.
    So yes, most vegans are preachy ***holes that demonize eating meat and are happy for a meat substitute. Kind of like a cult that sacrifices a lifelike babies complete with fake blood. That is ****ed up…
    Not IME, a few are and those are the ones you see/hear about. I've known several vegetarians/vegans that are nothing like that. My niece in law is one, I wouldn't have known it except my nephew mentioned it to me. I invited them over for dinner and was going to grill burgers, they accepted and my nephew later mentioned to me she was vegetarian/vegan so I would know why she wasn't eating the burgers when they came over. I picked up some vegan burgers for her, they didn't ask and didn't expect me to. She was very surprised and honestly grateful that I thought about it. She would have been happy eating salad and any sides that didn't contain meat and such. She would make meals with meat for him, but he's pretty much quit eating meat himself. Now that they have a young daughter, she does serve her meat because she thinks her daughter needs it for development.

Saying that most are "preachy ***holes" is like saying most gun owners are like these two.
    open.carry-cover.jpg

Or that most people that don't own guns are like the Mommies that need some action. Which is not my experience, the Mommies are just very vocal and get the attention. Just like the PETA activists. Or the difference between feminists and radical 3rd wave feminists.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom