• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Someone help me understand the impossible burger. Apparently this thing is supposed to taste like a real hamburger but is made of vegetables (or some other "plants").

My question is why.

If you want "plants" then eat plants.

If you want a burger, then eat a burger.

If you have the eating disorder of vegetarianism and are "craving" a burger then that is probably your body telling you that you need the nutrients provided by delicious beef.

Seriously, what marketing genius decided this was worth the money to make and then spend more money on advertising. What was the purpose? Virtue signaling? Warping reality?

As an aside, what is the revenue from the sales of the fake burgers and fake sausage? [insert high school joke here]

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You will be surprised how many people end up buying this. Veganism is still in its "Shaker" phase; it's an anthropocentric social contagion-slash-religion that spreads by conversion. Super sincere, really earnest people who are sucked in by emotional true-believing passion...but since they spent the first part of their lives eating meat, they still want it. You'd be surprised how much effort some of them put into making things like almond milk that imitate the real thing.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You will be surprised how many people end up buying this. Veganism is still in its "Shaker" phase; it's an anthropocentric social contagion-slash-religion that spreads by conversion. Super sincere, really earnest people who are sucked in by emotional true-believing passion...but since they spent the first part of their lives eating meat, they still want it. You'd be surprised how much effort some of them put into making things like almond milk that imitate the real thing.
    I'm not a vegan, and have no plans to be a vegan, but there is some pretty compelling evidence that suggest it is by far the best overall diet (as in food consumption, not weight loss) for cardiac health.

I do veggie burgers pretty often because I like burgers but red meat destroys my stomach. It sure doesn't taste the same but it's as close as I can get. If the impossible meat stuff really tastes like meat I'll be all over it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not a vegan, and have no plans to be a vegan, but there is some pretty compelling evidence that suggest it is by far the best overall diet (as in food consumption, not weight loss) for cardiac health.

I do veggie burgers pretty often because I like burgers but red meat destroys my stomach. It sure doesn't taste the same but it's as close as I can get. If the impossible meat stuff really tastes like meat I'll be all over it.
    Why am I not surprised for you to post this?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    TPTB want to stop meat consumption.

Just read what they publish from their jet set meetings, they don’t want the unwashed masses eating meat,,,
    Yes...and it's absurd because the whole world could stop meat consumption tomorrow and it wouldn't hardly move the needle on anything climate or pollution related. Meanwhile they import goods from smog covered China and ride around on their private jets as you alluded to.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Don't know if you ever tried them but morningstar farms spicy black bean burger is pretty damn tasty. Not saying it tastes like meat but it is good. I'm not vegan/vegetarian/whatever. I'll eat just about anything once. But I will buy them on occasion because they are tasty. Haven't really tried any of their other stuff so don't know if it's good or not.

A while back someone gave me iirc 15 lbs of the impossible burger in commercial 5 lb packs. It was okay, close to meat just not quite there. Meat adjacent maybe? It dries out quick, don't go over "medium".

I've ran into quite a few like you describe. I've also ran into a few that aren't. They just think it's healthier and in all honesty it might be. And there is vegan and vegetarian and a couple of others. Vegans IME tend to be the worst.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are we sure that it's not the consumption of soy and grains that actually cause the long term heath issues, making folks fall for the idea that humans aren't carnivores?

Last edited:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Don't know if you ever tried them but morningstar farms spicy black bean burger is pretty damn tasty. Not saying it tastes like meat but it is good. I'm not vegan/vegetarian/whatever. I'll eat just about anything once. But I will buy them on occasion because they are tasty. Haven't really tried any of their other stuff so don't know if it's good or not.

A while back someone gave me iirc 15 lbs of the impossible burger in commercial 5 lb packs. It was okay, close to meat just not quite there. Meat adjacent maybe? It dries out quick, don't go over "medium".

I've ran into quite a few like you describe. I've also ran into a few that aren't. They just think it's healthier and in all honesty it might be. And there is vegan and vegetarian and a couple of others. Vegans IME tend to be the worst.
    Those are actually my go to. I'll put a little salsa and Mexican cheese on them sometimes and have a quesadilla burger. Good stuff. No, not a hamburger, but I definitely enjoy them.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Are we sure that it's not the consumption of soy and grains that actually cause the long term heath issues, making folks fall for the idea that humans aren't carnivores.

Grains and soy definitely carry their own issues. Veganism may be good for cardiac health, but you make a good point as far as other possible health issues. I guess like everything else, balance is key. The normal American diet isn't known for balance though lol...mine sure as hell isn't.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Dude I don't even know what that means lol.

Vegans annoy the **** out of me. I'm not a vegan. I don't care what people eat. It was just a comment about why some people might be into it even if they aren't a crazed animal rights loving vegan.
    Just a guess here, as I'm not him but I think he is referring to your line about "pretty compelling evidence" in support of a Vegan diet. That "evidence" is only compelling if you take it at face value without critical review. IMO, that "compelling evidence" is chocked full of caveats, evasions, and obvious manipulations once you really dig into it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Who cares? If you want to eat it, eat it. If you don't, don't. Be happy for the observant Hindus and orthodox Jews who can now see what all the fuss is about with cheeseburgers.
    To a certain extent you are correct. If people are dumb enough to fall for fake meat, then let then. "A fool and his money will soon be parted"... one way or another and frequently consequence is the best teacher. On the other hand, not promoting the truth and withholding the ridicule things like fake meat need and deserve, doesn't help anyone learn from those consequences or even recognize them.

Also, the OP makes a valid point, if you're going to be a Vegan, be a Vegan but if you're dedicated to Veganism why make and consume fake meat? Of course, fake meat is not really supposed to be targeted at dedicated Vegans, it's supposed to be targeted at getting converts. The pursuit of converts, apparently, is a valid justification for the fundamental dishonesty of the product.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To a certain extent you are correct. If people are dumb enough to fall for fake meat, then let then. "A fool and his money will soon be parted"... one way or another and frequently consequence is the best teacher. On the other hand, not promoting the truth and withholding the ridicule things like fake meat need and deserve, doesn't help anyone learn from those consequences or even recognize them.

Also, the OP makes a valid point, if you're going to be a Vegan, be a Vegan but if you're dedicated to Veganism why make and consume fake meat? Of course, fake meat is not really supposed to be targeted at dedicated Vegans, it's supposed to be targeted at getting converts. The pursuit of converts, apparently, is a valid justification for the fundamental dishonesty of the product.

It's no more dishonest than turkey bacon or beef pepperoni.

People have different reasons to be vegetarian. If you don't believe in killing animals or your religion prohibits certain foods but still want to eat a cheeseburger, here you go. The Filet-o-fish exists because Catholics exist. It's a fish based burger substitute, giving people who could not eat a burger on certain days an option to spend money on a different sandwich instead. Do you sit around and wonder why people eat fish but won't eat beef on a given day and why they have to consume it in a burger-esque setting? Probably not. What's it to you what a vegan eats or doesn't eat? Do we really need to tribalize based on menu choice now?

Top Bottom