• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This no name skillet was my Grannies. She grew up on a dirt floor in rural Tennessee during the depression. She used it countless times for my mom, and a few for me.

It makes the best eggs and bacon you've ever had.

Rzv0V7k.jpg

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have found the Lodge "pebbly" surface unsatisfactory. Prefer the old stuff that is smooth.
    I tend to agree, but we've also got a lodge flat griddle that works. The more you use it the more the surface smooths out. Mom also found a goodwill large lodge skillet that we use a lot too for bigger stuff. Popcorn is a really nice way we use the bigger one; a great way to season it.
    My plan is to post pics as I use our pieces.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Aside from a couple pots I only cook with cast iron. I wish I had hand me downs from my grandparents but I never saw them use cast iron. I like to visit antique stores and the cast iron worth buying is always stupid expensive. One day I'll get my hands on a legacy skillet.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The only thing I won’t cook in cast iron is tomato based sauces. Otherwise I use cast iron exclusively. I have 2 lodge 12” skillets and another 8” as well as a Dutch oven. The pebbly surface was annoying at first but after several years of almost daily use they are incredibly smooth.

I just handed down my vintage pre-1942 10” skillet to my daughter. It will get some good use.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    These are two of my favorite pans.
    The round one just says 8 inch skillet on it with a five near the handle and an X underneath the handle. The square one has a symbol on it with 4 over an R.
    I acquired these at the friendship flea market years ago. All smooth bottom.
    Seasoned with flax seed oil.

Use them for eggs, bacon, hash browns, pancakes, searing meat, etc. Not for sauces as above though.
    IMG_4248.jpeg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have a glass cooktop I’m worried about scratching, but I do have a Lodge skillet that I’ll bake biscuits in. I’ve tossed it on the grill for steaks a time or two as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have found the Lodge "pebbly" surface unsatisfactory. Prefer the old stuff that is smooth.
    with an hour and some varying grits of sandpaper and an orbital sander, you too can have a mirror finish cheap cast iron skillet..
    And that reminds me of the "genius" that is my older cousin. Grandma had two cast iron pans. I got one, and my cousin wanted the other bigger one. I later learned that she just put it out in the unconditioned detached garage and forgot about it for several years. When she found it it was rusted, so she threw it away assuming it was ruined. :faint:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

And while I know mine is an antique, rumor has it the one she had was handed down and went almost back to the civil war.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    with an hour and some varying grits of sandpaper and an orbital sander, you too can have a mirror finish cheap cast iron skillet..
    And that reminds me of the "genius" that is my older cousin. Grandma had two cast iron pans. I got one, and my cousin wanted the other bigger one. I later learned that she just put it out in the unconditioned detached garage and forgot about it for several years. When she found it it was rusted, so she threw it away assuming it was ruined. :faint:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

And while I know mine was an antique, rumor has it the one she had was handed down and went almost back to the civil war.

The horror. I hope granny came back to haunt her.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A guy who was downsizing his storage unit gave me a Griswold chicken fryer set (I think that’s what they call it). One very deep skillet for deep frying, and a regular depth skillet. They have a sort of hinge connector that lets the shallower skillet sit upside down on top of the deep one kinda like a lid.

Anyway, I looked up the history of Griswold and was impressed, so I stripped both of them and re-season them. The Griswold and Wagner website was very helpful with this. Unfortunately, the shallow skillet has a slight concave to the bottom, so it doesn’t sit quite flat on a stove. Still quite usable, just annoying. The big one is perfect. We’re happy with them.

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I inherited one from my great-grandmother over 20 years ago when they were moving her into an assisted living center. I inherited two from my grandfather about five years ago after he passed and my grandmother was moving. Apparently, no one nabbed them! The man was meticulous in how he cared for EVERYTHING, they were in pristine condition and we use them often. I won't let the kids use them when they are cooking...I just don't trust them yet with proper care and conditioning. Once I'm convinced they 'get it' then maybe...just maybe...I'll let them know who inherits which one. Right now, I barely let IndyJohn touch them. I actually picked up a Griswold #3 for him recently for biscuits and small things and it's perfect for breakfasts (no matter what we're making). Throw some hashbrowns and eggs and crumbled sausage and cheese in it and pop it in the oven for 20-30 minutes or so and its a pretty good breakfast. Funny how no one in the 'good ole days' had iron deficiencies...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Forgot I had this Dutch oven too.
    IMG_4252.jpeg

I haven’t used it much since I’m not sure what/how to cook in it that won’t eat it’s seasoning away.

Made beer stew in it once, and good for rump roasts because it makes searing and browning easy.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

And while I know mine is an antique, rumor has it the one she had was handed down and went almost back to the civil war.

This breaks my heart.
    You should go cut donuts in her yard the next time it rains then leave a flaming dog poo bag on her porch.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    This no name skillet was my Grannies. She grew up on a dirt floor in rural Tennessee during the depression. She used it countless times for my mom, and a few for me.

It makes the best eggs and bacon you've ever had.

Rzv0V7k.jpg
    nice. I collect vintage cast iron. thankfully I started pre-pandemic before everyone & their mom did, so I have a few uncommon pieces.

if curious - post some closer, detailed photos and I may be able to identify. Or is it so old there is a gate mark on the bottom?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I wasn’t raised using cast iron only know what I know from trial and error. But I exclusively use it. Nothing else and yes the tomato sauces really muck them up lol since I don’t have any antiques I don’t feel bad learning the hard way.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    A guy who was downsizing his storage unit gave me a Griswold chicken fryer set (I think that’s what they call it). One very deep skillet for deep frying, and a regular depth skillet. They have a sort of hinge connector that lets the shallower skillet sit upside down on top of the deep one kinda like a lid.

Anyway, I looked up the history of Griswold and was impressed, so I stripped both of them and re-season them. The Griswold and Wagner website was very helpful with this. Unfortunately, the shallow skillet has a slight concave to the bottom, so it doesn’t sit quite flat on a stove. Still quite usable, just annoying. The big one is perfect. We’re happy with them.
    2 of the best.

Top Bottom