• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Last one. A modern Lodge. Mom found this at goodwill. Gunked up a ton. Does the job now though. This is just after some popcorn. Said above making a bunch of buttery popcorn leaves a nice season on it.
    1MQQ2TA.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I tend to agree, but we've also got a lodge flat griddle that works. The more you use it the more the surface smooths out. Mom also found a goodwill large lodge skillet that we use a lot too for bigger stuff. Popcorn is a really nice way we use the bigger one; a great way to season it.
    My plan is to post pics as I use our pieces.

I have a cast iron flat griddle that does double duty on a stove and a charcoal grill.....Lobe that piece!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Season and use.
    There are various methods to get them ready to use on google. Basically
    1 - get it hot
    2 - put on some kind of oil
    3 - wipe the oil off (I know it seems weird)
    4 - bake it hot for like an hour
    5 - repeat (the more you repeat the easier it will be to use)

Can't recall the exact temps. 200-300 for the wiping of the oil, around 400-500 for the baking on. I've used just regular vegetable oil and grape seed oil. Doesn't make a huge difference IMO.

I also cook bacon or some other fatty stuff in it for a few weeks to get some use.

After that, you're golden.

And NEVER wash them with soap.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There is nothing like cast iron!

For stews and such that contain acidic ingredients like tomatoes, I use an enameled cast iron.

Cast iron gives a great even heat.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    here is a couple favorites from my collection. the SHW because of the age (1886-1897) and history - part of the reason I collect cast iron is i get lost in the thoughts of how many meals have been cooked with it, what cooktops & fires it has seen, the good feelings it has brought former owners, etc etc. the Erie pan is a favorite because it has a sentimental memory from finding it on one of my now-wife and I’s early dates. It’s how she learned I’m a collector and a dork. And so far it’s the only Erie I have found in the wild that wasn’t from a collector and $$$.

IMG_0165.jpeg

Last edited:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    There is nothing like cast iron!

For stews and such that contain acidic ingredients like tomatoes, I use an enameled cast iron.

Cast iron gives a great even heat.
    it’s a shame Lodge enameled is made in china. Otherwise it’s big money for fancy French ones and such, or cheap Asian ones that don’t last. I use mostly Lodge enameled since you can find them on sale or clearance at the big box stores pretty often. My mother in law bought some Amazon Basics and they’ve started to crack after a couple years

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    here is another favorite. I’ve not seen another like it and have not been able to ID it in the slightest. my mystery dish was found in a literal pile of old pans and random iron pieces at a small town antique shop years ago. The owner was so excited someone even wanted it, I think they asked only $20 or so. I stripped it bare but have never seasoned it, hence the light rust you see.

IMG_0167.jpeg

IMG_0169.jpeg

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Season and use.
    There are various methods to get them ready to use on google. Basically
    1 - get it hot
    2 - put on some kind of oil
    3 - wipe the oil off (I know it seems weird)
    4 - bake it hot for like an hour
    5 - repeat (the more you repeat the easier it will be to use)

Can't recall the exact temps. 200-300 for the wiping of the oil, around 400-500 for the baking on. I've used just regular vegetable oil and grape seed oil. Doesn't make a huge difference IMO.

I also cook bacon or some other fatty stuff in it for a few weeks to get some use.

After that, you're golden.
    Crisco 500
    Clean the cast iron of any rust, dirt etc
    Heat the oven to 500*
    VERY lightly cover the inside and out of the pot(while the piece is hot) skillet etc with Crisco while using a lint free rag
    Place the cast iron piece upside down in the oven, leave it in for 1 hour.
    I like to do this for 5 to 10 coats of seasoning.

Last edited:

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I don't see any markings at all on it. There is a ring around the bottom of the skillet part.
    Many good name companies made budget lines by leaving the marks off, a lot of times you can figure out who made it by comparing the handle styles, some have numbers that match etc.

• Love
    Reactions: Mij

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    My wife and I have over 200 pieces and have cleaned and restored probably around 500 pieces
    Here is a pan I restored for a friend, before you couldn’t see the logo so to build up over the years but I knew what it was, stripped it down and 10 coats of seasoning. Didn’t get a before picture

16817F1E-92DA-40D4-91F6-06980CFD02B5.jpeg
    4F8D1621-A157-4C92-8959-3ADBB5D5D62F.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom