• ...and so much more!
  • pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Pro Tip
    If you have stuck on food and or just want to make sure your pan is clean you can boil water in it, lightly scrape the food and it will remove.

I dont like to use salt (but have) simply because it can speed up rusting and or strip your seasoning off.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Pro Tip
    If you have stuck on food and or just want to make sure your pan is clean you can boil water in it, lightly scrape the food and it will remove.

I dont like to use salt (but have) simply because it can speed up rusting and or strip your seasoning off.
    you've got some super nice stuff. love the waffle irons.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife has used it once, her cake was fine but the cleaning was not fun
    I remember one that Mom tried had to be turned into an "Easter bonnet" (her idea) after it fell apart. :): The thing is, the batter for a regular cake doesn't work very well because the cake is too soft to remove from the mold, so it has to be firmer. Looks better but doesn't taste as good.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    There's a cast iron collection for sale on Facebook marketplace right now somewhere nearby... Shelbyville.... Sheridan... Somewhere. Hundred bucks!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There's a cast iron collection for sale on Facebook marketplace right now somewhere nearby... Shelbyville.... Sheridan... Somewhere. Hundred bucks!
    Read the description. The good stuff is gone already. When I first saw it I was thinking about driving down but after reading it I decided it's not worth the drive to the very cosmopolitan town of Shelbyville.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Well I decided to take the leap and try some cast iron. Probably low grade but we will see
    I wouldn't worry about "grade". Cast iron is cast iron. The new stuff is supposedly pre-seasoned, but in my experience it needs at least a half dozen coats of new seasoning before its ready to use. Spend a whole day seasoning it and you should be good to go.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I wouldn't worry about "grade". Cast iron is cast iron. The new stuff is supposedly pre-seasoned, but in my experience it needs at least a half dozen coats of new seasoning before its ready to use. Spend a whole day seasoning it and you should be good to go.
    Yea it said pre seasoned but I knew that was bull. Thanks for the advice. I will do just that. I'm thinking about using my gas grill to season it. It has a sear burner that I think would work well.
    What temperature do you season at?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Yea it said pre seasoned but I knew that was bull. Thanks for the advice. I will do just that. I'm thinking about using my gas grill to season it. It has a sear burner that I think would work well.
    What temperature do you season at?
    I usually season at 500 degrees with a very thin coat of oil. Let it bake upside down for an hour then let it cool on its own. Rinse and repeat. Just make sure the heat is indirect if you do it on the grill. You don't want flames burning the oil in the pan.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Am going to post a picture of ours (finally somthing the ATF won’t care about), but it’s gonna take a moment, got a bunch of stuff going on.

Seasoning, cook stuff in your skillet, take food out. Splash some water in the pan n deglaze the crap while the pan is still hot.

Gently wash in warm soapy water, now put pan on the stove burner n heat till dry. Now wipe with bacon grease or spray with pan spray n wipe clean with paper towel. Do this for about 20 years, it’s amazing….:thumbsup:

@pitbulld45 you got some nice stuff.

Top Bottom