• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have heard that cold water can crack a hot pan. Don't know if it is true so always used hot water so as not to chance it.
    Like you I don’t know, but I do know, myself, my wife, and about a million chefs deglaze a hot pan with room temp or even cold wine. I’ve seen steel smith’s dip red hot metal in water or oil. Just my thoughts. **** and I’m wrong about 50 times a day. :thumbsup: :runaway:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A thought just occurred to me. Myself, My mom. My grandmother, My wife. Have all poured ice cold milk onto fried sausage in a darn hot skillet with flour on it to make a rue for “Biscuits n Gravy “ :oldwise:, but that’s old time stuff. We don’t get it in a can.:stickpoke:

Hey, we are all Hoosiers after all….:wavey:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Like you I don’t know, but I do know, myself, my wife, and about a million chefs deglaze a hot pan with room temp or even cold wine. I’ve seen steel smith’s dip red hot metal in water or oil. Just my thoughts. **** and I’m wrong about 50 times a day.

I feel your pain!

I am married also.:laugh:

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Wow. I need a waffle iron and baking sheet now. Stuff I didn’t even know I needed..

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Am going to post a picture of ours (finally somthing the ATF won’t care about), but it’s gonna take a moment, got a bunch of stuff going on.

Seasoning, cook stuff in your skillet, take food out. Splash some water in the pan n deglaze the crap while the pan is still hot.

Gently wash in warm soapy water, now put pan on the stove burner n heat till dry. Now wipe with bacon grease or spray with pan spray n wipe clean with paper towel. Do this for about 20 years, it’s amazing….:thumbsup:

@pitbulld45 you got some nice stuff.
    I doubt in 20 years I will be able to lift it.

• Haha

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Here's my 'family photo'. With the exception of the Lodge griddle, all of these came down from family before me. Most still have heavy smoke 'crust' around the bottoms. Not shown are two Dutch ovens, a pancake griddle, two 6" skillets, and another 'Krispy Corn' cornbread mold. When we moved mom's estate out here to California, I gave the huge ( 10" x 20" ) cast iron deep fryer/roasting pan (the lid had griddles molded into it) to the moving truck driver. My great uncle used to fry fish in it at the Broad Ripple Armory.

The spoon rack, on the wall, is also old family 'commemoratives'... the oldest piece is from the World's Columbian Exposition, held in 1893 in Chicago.

1683573996478.png

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Whats the trick to make them non stick? I have tried them and always just had a mess of stuck food. I would like to give it another shot though.
    Season them well with a high heat oil. It will not be perfect “non stick” from the beginning. It gets better with use. Clean well with water only and a scratcher after use. heat to evaporate the moisture from cleaning and give a coat of oil while hot. Wipe out the excess and store.

first seasoning is a process of 4 or 5 oilings and heating in an oven. It must completely cool naturally between oiling and heating At 400 to 450 upside down in the oven. You will see some oil residue after heating. It will increase and eventually cover the entire cooking surface as you keep cycling the seasoning process. Acidic liquids will remove seasoning when you cook. More so on newly seasoned than on older seasonings. Avoid tomato sauces or other acidic dishes when you start out for a few dozen meals. I have 2 wagners and they are used for ever meal.

Lpherr

Occupied
    We broke down and purchased a 12" Lodge.
    It came pre-seasoned from the factory, but the Mrs. did an additional seasoning to it.
    I can't say I'm fully impressed with it.
    It had a little sticking of the sausage, but the pan cleaned up well with hot water and a plastic scratch pad.
    Heated it on the stove right after washing and oiled it while it was still hot. Looks like new.
    The reason I'm not impressed, is I was expecting much better flavor, like something grandma would serve from cast iron.
    It was slightly better tasting, but not notably better than the Calphalon I normally use, that doesn't require
    tedious care.
    I'll keep with it for a while, to see if the flavor improves, but it could possibly end up in the bottom of the cabinet.
    I think when it's time to re-season, I'll sand the texture off the inside bottom beforehand. I hate sanding cast iron; I
    will taste metal for several days. Even with using a respirator.

Top Bottom