• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I tend to agree, but we've also got a lodge flat griddle that works. The more you use it the more the surface smooths out. Mom also found a goodwill large lodge skillet that we use a lot too for bigger stuff. Popcorn is a really nice way we use the bigger one; a great way to season it.
    My plan is to post pics as I use our pieces.

Soak overnight in Easy Off oven cleaner (yellow) in a kitchen garbage bag...

rinse well.....

start with 80 grit and finish with 100-120 grit inside the pan with a palm sander...sides as well....

clean skillet well.....

heat oven to 200 degrees with skillet in it...

take out and season with grape seed oil (all over) then pop back in oven at 440 degrees for and hour....let cool.....

repeat four times.....

perfection......

Only do this with new Lodge skillets that you are wanting to cook with soon....leave old ones as be....

Oh and if you luck into one of these 80s Lodge skillets DO NOT DO THE SANDPAPER TRICK!!!! lol..... 1702340257698.png 1702340236641.png

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Buddy of mine cooked a brisket for last night and let me take home some leftovers. I re-heated the pieces in the lodge griddle I have. After a big pool of beef brisket fat was leftover in my griddle.
    Like any cast iron afficionado would do, I used that pool to put some seasoning on all my pieces.
    Never let good fat go to waste!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    In addition to the brisket fat last night, today I used a nice amount of smoked bacon grease from brinner last night to gave all the pieces another good round of seasoning.

yHE3T8k.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    cast iron dutch ovens are the gift that keeps on giving. you’ll be happy too.

mine is out for delivery today so I’ll post beauty pics when I’m cooking chili or stew or whatever tomorrow
    I got sooo lucky 30 years ago. I got mailer that said a liquidator had Le Cruset enameled cookware in limited quantities. I was standing in a line of over 100 women waiting on the doors to open and fretting my mission was for naught, because of so many people.

When the doors opened I was shocked to be the only person in the cookware isle and got one of every piece they had, which was a lot, including every one off they had, my bill was $340. When I got home, (pre-internet) I called a cookware store that had the exact same items even the same colors, the cost to duplicate there was over $3500. The coolest item is an oval roasting pan that looks like a baby bathtub it is so huge?

Oh, by the way all the ladies were there to fight over collectible dolls, wish I now knew what they were and value now. My cookware has been used 30 years, looks like new to this day, and I have beef stew in the big one and chicken velvet soup in the medium size right now…

Top Bottom