• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Everybody wants to play operator, until its time to operate; accordingly, I suspect there will be plenty of "Tier I" ARs laying on the ground if the balloon actually ever goes up.

Any AR that 1. is appropriately gassed, 2. has good magazines, 3. has important bits that can work loose staked, and 4. has a quality bolt with spare would likely be plenty reliable. You can pay for those things, or do/test them yourself if halfway competent...most would probably manifest themselves within the first few hundred practice rounds anyway.

Because you practice with your "going to war" rifle....right?
    Anyone in their right mind does not want this threads scenario to play out. Me especially at my age and a bummed up knee, and hearing loss. No sir it would be a living hell on earth.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anyone in their right mind does not want this threads scenario to play out.. No sir it would be a living hell on earth.
    Yep this. I think hypotheticals are well and good to discuss. But no one is really going to go full Red Dawn and all rag tag commando on an invading force unless you're former or current LEO/Military. My plan is keep my head down and get out of town without drawing unwanted attention to myself and my family. Only engaging enemy combatants if absolutely necessary until I meet up with the rest of my family at our predetermined spot.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Yep this. I think hypotheticals are well and good to discuss. But no one is really going to go full Red Dawn and all rag tag commando on an invading force unless you're former or current LEO/Military. My plan is keep my head down and get out of town without drawing unwanted attention to myself and my family. Only engaging enemy combatants if absolutely necessary until I meet up with the rest of my family at our predetermined spot.
    For the most part, I think that's what most of us would be doing. Me by myself? Probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but with a determined group? Yeah, that would work.

As far as a "combat worthy" AR? The one I have would do just fine for the time being, and just as someone said above, it a bad scenario like that, you would probably come across a number of rifles and such to choose from, laying on the ground.

I can understand what the OP is asking, but even standard "run of the mill" AR's are really not that bad, as long as your not fighting a fast and furious, prolonged gunfight, all at one time. Most of them are more durable, at least in my experience, than they get credit for....as long as you have a solid BCG. JMHO.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am really enjoying all of the comments about just using a random battlefield pick up.

How many of you have actually run drills with someone else's rifle? Have you ever even swapped ARs with a buddy and then run drills on timer? If so, how did it go? Were you as fast as with it as you are with your own rifle? Was it set up the way you like? Was it comfortable to run? Did you know how to use the optic? Did you know at what distance it was zeroed? Did you know the hold overs?

As much as we say an AR is an AR is an AR, there are more accessories and configurations than Baskin Robbins has flavors. If SHTF, I am fighting with the rifle I know and have trained with. I'm not counting on just scooping up Bubba's rifle and expecting it to work the way I want it to.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am really enjoying all of the comments about just using a random battlefield pick up.

How many of you have actually run drills with someone else's rifle? Have you ever even swapped ARs with a buddy and then run drills on timer? If so, how did it go? Were you as fast as with it as you are with your own rifle? Was it set up the way you like? Was it comfortable to run? Did you know how to use the optic? Did you know at what distance it was zeroed? Did you know the hold overs?

As much as we say an AR is an AR is an AR, there are more accessories and configurations than Baskin Robbins has flavors. If SHTF, I am fighting with the rifle I know and have trained with. I'm not counting on just scooping up Bubba's rifle and expecting it to work the way I want it to.

Agreed, at the shoot I went to last week the "pick up gun" for the match was a bone stock MP-15-22 and that gun threw me off. Been a long time since I had used standard iron sights on a rifle. Then as you pointed out everyone would have different zeroes (if the one you pick up is even zeroed property) , and different ammunition as well. I can still shoot other rifles , but not nearly to the level of my own personal rig.

Kneedeep87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2021
    Fort wayne
    I think most standard uppers are capable of going to war. Quality is becoming pretty high in the market for all of the known companies. Really just depends on whether the barrel and bolt are going to be put through sustained full auto fire. We used to to war with much worse.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Not to mention the fact that the rifle may have been the reason that the original owner is no longer carrying it

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Who says you don't shoot in what you pick up? That would be kind of stupid in the first place. Who would actually pick up a rifle and not check it for functionality and if it's on or not before they went into another battle?

Think of it as being issued a different rifle because your rifle became inoperable . You would naturally check it out completely and shoot it in.
    Even the old shoot the dirt at 50yd out and adjusting sights according is better than nothing.

Come on guys think outside the box...

The only enemies of the United States I can think of with the capability of attacking would be China and Russia most likely at the same time. They don't use M4 Carbines.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Who says you don't shoot in what you pick up? That would be kind of stupid in the first place. Who would actually pick up a rifle and not check it for functionality and if it's on or not before they went into another battle?

Think of it as being issued a different rifle because your rifle became inoperable . You would naturally check it out completely and shoot it in.
    Even the old shoot the dirt at 50yd out and adjusting sights according is better than nothing.

Come on guys think outside the box...

The only enemies of the United States I can think of with the capability of attacking would be China and Russia most likely at the same time. They don't use M4 Carbines.
    I think everyone has a different scene playing in their head in this little game of make believe. The details make a difference.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    An invading army is the last thing I worry about. As much as I like post-apocalyptic movies and books, the results of the COVID shutdowns and last summers "peaceful protests" are probably the closest we will ever see to the kind of scenario this thread is talking about. In the case of society unrest, I am not going out looking for trouble. I am not physically capable anymore of going out patrolling or whatever. I will do my best to get me and mine to my bug out property and bunker up. As far away from the major towns that it is, I imagine it will take awhile for the refugees from the cities to make it out to me. I will be more worried about food, water, and trying to not get injured/sick than dealing with the refugees in that case.
    My home built ARs will do fine, and if one goes down, I have several replacements and alot of spare parts. Not to mention my handguns, shotguns, bolt guns and whatever else I have there.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I've seen quite a few quality manufacturers listed here and suprised (well not really as I know most of Ingo is highly opinionated) I havnt seen Barrett or Seekins. Not that I think there will be a mainland invasion but if there is a need, I'm sure my Rec7 gen2 will suffice. Havnt had a single issue with it but have extra parts in case one should arise.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    In a group chat with range buddies today:

Hey we should grab each other’s rifles and see if we can shoot them just as good as we shoot our own, next time we’re all out. I read it on INGO.

Group: yea good idea

AK guy (out of 2): y’all ain’t ready for AK perfection

Me: yea I’m sure your right, I probably can’t hit anything with an AK. *goes back to work making holes touch at 100

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    These threads are cancer lol. The right answer is always born in Indiana Centurion with vetted metal magazines, a quality optic, high quality light.

Top Bottom