• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What we know from comments made by nationally known carbine trainers is that if the have a rifle failure in class it is almost always a home built one. I would assume if the person is taking such a class, they are serious about guns, training and such because those classes are not cheap.
    That's likely a faulty assumption. Given the number of people that spend far more $$$$$ on a guided hunt and then take a rifle that doesn't work reliably, has poor glass, which they haven't shot nearly enough and that they can't shoot well, I have no problem believing that less than serious people pay for training classes.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    One thing that people forget is having spare parts to keep their rifles running. I have a spare BCM bolt for each of my rifles. Also have extra gas rings, springs, pins and the special tools needed to do any repairs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think it's funny people automatically think the military rifles are so combat ready. The one I was issued failed to eject every other round because of the lack of proper service. As I said up thread thinking back I do believe the buffer spring was totally worn out. Yet it was combat ready for the US Army at that point in time. I wonder how many "combat ready " military service rifles are in poor maintenance now days? Or has the military stepped up it's maintenance program?

I got a very healthy hate of all things marked Colt from that experience and it's hard for me to shake it off.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    20 inch barrel.
    I have better options for close quarters work so I would want to be able to use all of the speed the 556 round would provide compared to the 16 or 14 inch versions.

I will also take simple over having lots of stuff hanging on the rifle. A light maybe a red dot. Nothing else.
    So what many would call an A2 setup would be fine.

back to the overall point I think the AK is better suited for what I want. Thus having a few of them to chose from. I have always been told “don’t **** where you eat.” I will take the piston system.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think it's funny people automatically think the military rifles are so combat ready. The one I was issued failed to eject every other round because of the lack of proper service. As I said up thread thinking back I do believe the buffer spring was totally worn out. Yet it was combat ready for the US Army at that point in time. I wonder how many "combat ready " military service rifles are in poor maintenance now days? Or has the military stepped up it's maintenance program?

I got a very healthy hate of all things marked Colt from that experience and it's hard for me to shake it off.

I think people are assuming you'll buy a new one and properly maintain it. Every machine is eventually useless, and 'eventually' is sooner if it's not properly maintained. The difference is how long 'eventually' takes.

But I get it. I had a mistrust for the Beretta due to my experience with the M9, but later found out the issue wasn't even the pistol's fault, it was the magazines they had purchased to replace the Beretta supplied ones.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think people are assuming you'll buy a new one and properly maintain it. Every machine is eventually useless, and 'eventually' is sooner if it's not properly maintained. The difference is how long 'eventually' takes.

But I get it. I had a mistrust for the Beretta due to my experience with the M9, but later found out the issue wasn't even the pistol's fault, it was the magazines they had purchased to replace the Beretta supplied ones.
    That's why I said if we are invaded I'll use my weapons until I can use the enemies. Makes more sense to use what is readily available to me in such a situation. If an invader makes it to Indiana I'm sure the ammo supply and many other things will be very short on supply. So the enemy weapons ammunition etc will have to be used.

About that M4 I really think it was just a bad buffer spring. It probably would have been fine with several spring replacements. I know many that have high praise for Colt M4.

Indiana Ed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Bloomington / South
    That's why I said if we are invaded I'll use my weapons until I can use the enemies. Makes more sense to use what is readily available to me in such a situation. If an invader makes it to Indiana I'm sure the ammo supply and many other things will be very short on supply. So the enemy weapons ammunition etc will have to be used.

About that M4 I really think it was just a bad buffer spring. It probably would have been fine with several spring replacements. I know many that have high praise for Colt M4.
    Just like the original Red Dawn. Except for Jed with his SAA and sniper rifle. The AK was the go to.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    One thing that people forget is having spare parts to keep their rifles running. I have a spare BCM bolt for each of my rifles. Also have extra gas rings, springs, pins and the special tools needed to do any repairs.

How do you keep all those "extras" from turning into new rifles???

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Military gear is usually never properly cared for.
    In all likelihood, it'd be a significant downgrade. In that situation just give the ATF a middle finger and run quality kit.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Military gear is usually never properly cared for.
    In all likelihood, it'd be a significant downgrade. In that situation just give the ATF a middle finger and run quality kit.

That's my general opinion, I would not even swap for a .mil lower in this "scenario" honestly.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Everybody wants to play operator, until its time to operate; accordingly, I suspect there will be plenty of "Tier I" ARs laying on the ground if the balloon actually ever goes up.

Any AR that 1. is appropriately gassed, 2. has good magazines, 3. has important bits that can work loose staked, and 4. has a quality bolt with spare would likely be plenty reliable. You can pay for those things, or do/test them yourself if halfway competent...most would probably manifest themselves within the first few hundred practice rounds anyway.

Because you practice with your "going to war" rifle....right?
    I was in the Marines, long time ago, and playing "operator" sucks.

Top Bottom