• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Here here! I agree 100% on the BCMs...so reliable, lightweight and a nice complete factory build. Have you seen some of the crazy asking prices for new and used BMC RECCEs on GunBroker lately? Wow...and they continue to SELL at those prices.

Yea its ridiculous...

Most of my uppers were purchased around the tune of $800, and the lowers were probably around $300.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yea its ridiculous...

Most of my uppers were purchased around the tune of $800, and the lowers were probably around $300.
    My last BCM complete upper (14.3" fluted mid-weight barrel) came in at just over a grand. But that was with bolt carrier group, charging handle, tax and shipping.

This would have been right around a year ago I think.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    $1500 rifle? Is that WITH optics? Bushmaster M4 at $800+ is more than enough to satisfy rugged use. I bought my XM15 back in 2005 and I still use it as my patrol rifle. Maybe 10k rounds with only 1 issue (extractor spring O ring needed replaced). I did just recently replace the gas rings as preventative maintenance. I've beaten the snot out of it in training, same with the EOTech 551 that has been on it since 2008. Soaked in rain, snow, ice, mud, never missed a beat. Paid $500ish for it in 2005 ($700 now). AR with a quality optic and a light source for $1500, ok. But damn, $1500 for a plain rifle? I think we overestimate what it takes for a rifle to run reliably.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    $1500 rifle? Is that WITH optics? Bushmaster M4 at $800+ is more than enough to satisfy rugged use. I bought my XM15 back in 2005 and I still use it as my patrol rifle. Maybe 10k rounds with only 1 issue (extractor spring O ring needed replaced). I did just recently replace the gas rings as preventative maintenance. I've beaten the snot out of it in training, same with the EOTech 551 that has been on it since 2008. Soaked in rain, snow, ice, mud, never missed a beat. Paid $500ish for it in 2005 ($700 now). AR with a quality optic and a light source for $1500, ok. But damn, $1500 for a plain rifle? I think we overestimate what it takes for a rifle to run reliably.
    Maybe it's an AR-10:dunno:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    bUt iS iT rEaDy tO "gO tO wAr??!!"

:):

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Welcome to 2021. A quality rifle Is going to cost 1500 to 2k bare. An entry level light around 200, a good light is over 300. Red dots can be had pretty affordable though, eotech exps2s can still be found for 500ish of you know who to watch for sales. Holosun if you don't mind china has some ok options that have been vetted.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Please forgive the brief thread jack, I didn't want to start a whole new thread for what I suspect to be a short answer. Are the preferred high quality AR-10/.308 manufacturers pretty much the same as the preferred high quality AR-15 manufacturers mentioned here. I've built a couple but am not real happy with the mix master builds.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Please forgive the brief thread jack, I didn't want to start a whole new thread for what I suspect to be a short answer. Are the preferred high quality AR-10/.308 manufacturers pretty much the same as the preferred high quality AR-15 manufacturers mentioned here. I've built a couple but am not real happy with the mix master builds.

Basically!

With KAC being widely regarded as being the absolute best.

In regards to the platform as a whole however - a FAL is probably a better overall platform for the cartridge (and should've been adopted by the USA back in the day over the M14, but that's another story)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

If you look at the new prs gas gun division aero precision receiver sets are all over the top 10. Their m5 upper is one of the strongest large frame uppers available and makes an outstanding base for a precision build.

Prs is not going to war** just passing along info

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely not in the KAC ballpark but I'm thinking I may want to go to the next step above AP.
    In large frame receivers there isn't really a step up more a step across. If I were going to get into a large frame I'd take aero receivers over anything else. The rest of the gun wouldn't be aero.

chiraqi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Chicago but not for long
    An invading army is the last thing I worry about. As much as I like post-apocalyptic movies and books, the results of the COVID shutdowns and last summers "peaceful protests" are probably the closest we will ever see to the kind of scenario this thread is talking about. In the case of society unrest, I am not going out looking for trouble. I am not physically capable anymore of going out patrolling or whatever. I will do my best to get me and mine to my bug out property and bunker up. As far away from the major towns that it is, I imagine it will take awhile for the refugees from the cities to make it out to me. I will be more worried about food, water, and trying to not get injured/sick than dealing with the refugees in that case.
    My home built ARs will do fine, and if one goes down, I have several replacements and alot of spare parts. Not to mention my handguns, shotguns, bolt guns and whatever else I have there.
    Current Chicago resident, but in process of selling. We fled during the peaceful protests. Police openly informed the public that they couldn't respond to 911. They were setting up police barricades on major roads here. I debated trying to work with neighbors to block our roads and hang out with guns vs. just taking my family out of town. I elected the latter. Plus we saw what happened to people who brandish or use ARs to protect property in blue areas. It's not worth it.

Luckily only local businesses got hit that time. But you could watch on Twitter the Chicagoans posting that people should burn down homes in my neighborhood while they're at it.

I think the closest we'll see to civil unrest or collapse is 2020 but on a larger scale. I don't think they'll send American troops to American rural areas. They'll use riots as a paramilitary measure to keep metropolitan areas in line.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Current Chicago resident, but in process of selling. We fled during the peaceful protests. Police openly informed the public that they couldn't respond to 911. They were setting up police barricades on major roads here. I debated trying to work with neighbors to block our roads and hang out with guns vs. just taking my family out of town. I elected the latter. Plus we saw what happened to people who brandish or use ARs to protect property in blue areas. It's not worth it.

Luckily only local businesses got hit that time. But you could watch on Twitter the Chicagoans posting that people should burn down homes in my neighborhood while they're at it.

I think the closest we'll see to civil unrest or collapse is 2020 but on a larger scale. I don't think they'll send American troops to American rural areas. They'll use riots as a paramilitary measure to keep metropolitan areas in line.
    Wow, scary experience for sure. Hope you're able to sell and make the retreat to somewhere more stable and secure.

Top Bottom