• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Mag dumps are a waste of ammo. I'll take aimed rapid fire every time. Any decent quality rifle, if well maintained, will be suitable for the average rifleman. Some combat infantrymen, never fire their weapons in combat engagements. Today, heavy weapons, air strikes and artillery rule the battlefield.
    True, but a vast majority of those reading this thread are not infantrymen, nor are they likely to have air strikes and heavy artillery support should they be forced into going to war with their personally owned rifles.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    These threads always get sporty and are a good time.

List your brands of those AR manufacturers that are literally good enough to "go to war" with.

PSA / Anderson need not apply.

Not an exhaustive list, but I'll start:

SOLGW
    BCM
    Centurion
    LMT
    Hodge
    KAC
    Noveske
    White Label Armory
    FN
    Colt (some of them...apparently they've been trading on their name for eons YMMV)
    Potential honorable mention to Daniel Defense
    I'm appalled that you think my Anderson/PSA/SB3/whoknowswhatelse pistol build is inferior and not G2G.
    Edit: I guess this pic still shows the old blade 1.0 brace. I dont have a pic of it with the sb3 yet. Also why dont smilies work anymore? There was heavy sarcasm implied in this post.
    20200416_222055.jpg

Last edited:

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    What is going on with all the tape?
    Good eye, I guess that pic was right before I got the proper tool to install the bolt catch roll pin. The tape was to keep from marring the finish. That little pin was a PITA until I got the wheeler install punches. The first pin went flying, never to be seen again.
    Edit: An up to date pic 20210901_205354.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I really don't think it matters what lower or upper AR receiver is used as long as it is mil spec, and you use quality parts inside. The big difference will be the upper. Barrel, gas block, and tube, BCG, buffer and buffer spring. If those are high quality it will preform at a higher level.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What we know from comments made by nationally known carbine trainers is that if the have a rifle failure in class it is almost always a home built one. I would assume if the person is taking such a class, they are serious about guns, training and such because those classes are not cheap.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    What we know from comments made by nationally known carbine trainers is that if the have a rifle failure in class it is almost always a home built one. I would assume if the person is taking such a class, they are serious about guns, training and such because those classes are not cheap.
    I've heard that too, while standing at the line. I can't argue with their experience, but I've never had a failure in class. I have one or two with adjustable gas block, and those can get you in trouble. But it gets set to 'r' for reliable before any serious shooting.
    I think if you home build to save money, you could get in trouble. If you're serious, it can be better than average.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've heard that too, while standing at the line. I can't argue with their experience, but I've never had a failure in class. I have one or two with adjustable gas block, and those can get you in trouble. But it gets set to 'r' for reliable before any serious shooting.
    I think if you home build to save money, you could get in trouble. If you're serious, it can be better than average.
    That was part of my point. I would assume that most of the people running a home build in a carbine class at some national gun mecca, thinks he is serious. I doubt he cheaped out on anything. Most people including myself usually overestimate their own abilities at almost any endeavor they undertake. Whenever this comes up, everyone that has built their rifle at home, comes out of the woodwork to reassure everyone that their rifle is the exception. Theirs really is built correctly. I am certain some of them are right, but I am also certain some of them are wrong.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    So basically fighting like the Taliban?
    Well kinda but they are FAR better equipped...they dropped many of their own AKs for US-issued abandoned M4s, M16s and machine guns as well as NVGs. Biden equipped the "TallyBan" nicely but wants to take yours away!

I know I know...this is not the thread for that but I couldn't resist...being so pissed!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What is the difference between a rifle built at home with quality Tier 1 parts, and a rifle (upper/lower) assembled by a Tier 1 manufacturer?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "Builder QA".

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That was part of my point. I would assume that most of the people running a home build in a carbine class at some national gun mecca, thinks he is serious. I doubt he cheaped out on anything. Most people including myself usually overestimate their own abilities at almost any endeavor they undertake. Whenever this comes up, everyone that has built their rifle at home, comes out of the woodwork to reassure everyone that their rifle is the exception. Theirs really is built correctly. I am certain some of them are right, but I am also certain some of them are wrong.
    And some probably cut corners that they are not telling you about as to why they failed. I've ran mine 1k rds without lube or cleaning to test the reliability. I highly doubt in a combat situation I'll run over 1k rds without cleaning or lube thus the 1k rd test. If it doesn't make it I figure out what I did wrong. Luckily I haven't had that problem since my first build many years ago. The scratched up, debacle and learning rifle. After all the screw ups on it I learned what they like and don't like. I also am prone to try the new best x part or this new awesome bcg etc. This year I've cut down on such tests because of obvious reasons.
    I've ran my rifles hard and put up dry. Left over night or a week then brought back out to continue the test as time permits.
    I don't do mag dumps because no one does it real life saving situations. Fast aimed fire yes but no idiotic mag dumps.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Haha, and I fell for it, I’m that guy!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    True, but a vast majority of those reading this thread are not infantrymen, nor are they likely to have air strikes and heavy artillery support should they be forced into going to war with their personally owned rifles.
    In any scenario where a civilian would be "forced" into going to war with his/ her personally owned rifle, he/ she would only have a snowball chance if joining a force with these assets. Rambo wouldn't last a week. Although Walter Mitty might just win the war all alone!

Top Bottom