• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I bought one yesterday. Can't tell a difference unless the Jegs cap has a significant rubber gasket. The RK model has what appears to be a small one that will likely do the job.

ebb825c33f5f646e1cdbf8b0f3535794243ca9ca_21636003_21636003_image_21636003.jpg

That RK jug isn't anywhere near the quality of race fuel jugs. I have no experience with the Jegs brand but I know my RCI and VP fuel jugs are far superior to the 1 RK jug I own.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Jegs or summit. 5 gal. poly jugs. These are the ones racers use. We did. And we still do. They stash away readily and the positive seal on the lid is serious. Fuel will keep for a long time especially if you StayBil it.
    Yes there are a few bucks but some of mine are from 1998 and still viable. You get what you pay for.

These.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80213/10002/-1

I used to store my fuel in these jugs (and just pulled some down to pad my supply) and you need to be careful of the caps. Every single cap has failed and cracked. We have had the same issue with the fuel jugs we use at work. We have replaced all of the white caps with the black VP Racing caps and it seems we are good to go. I am guessing it's crappy white plastic, but I would look into ordering VP jugs with the black caps or ordering/buying black caps to replace the white ones. RacerPartsWholesale downtown carries them at a reasonable price.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Anyone know where I can get spouts for surplus poly 5 gal cans? I have several of the previous style with the interior of the opening threaded. I can find a homebuilt version on amazon but really would like to have a couple original spouts.

ETA: I've been told you shouldn't / can't use the metal spouts on the poly cans.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So Jegs jugs come in all different colors.

I have some BLACK ones for when they might be sitting in the sunshine. IDK. I guess that might help with evaporation? And they disappear nicely in the garage or trailer. (as in hard to see)
    I thought of getting some RED WHITE or BLUE ones just so I can see better on how much is in them. (honestly that doesn't much matter to me)

What colors would you guys recommend and what are the advantages and disadvantages to them? :dunno:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    So Jegs jugs come in all different colors.

I have some BLACK ones for when they might be sitting in the sunshine. IDK. I guess that might help with evaporation? And they disappear nicely in the garage or trailer. (as in hard to see)
    I thought of getting some RED WHITE or BLUE ones just so I can see better on how much is in them. (honestly that doesn't much matter to me)

What colors would you guys recommend and what are the advantages and disadvantages to them? :dunno:

For me, I would get the color that is typically used for the fuel you are going to store. Red for gas. Blue/Yellow for kerosene/diesel. White, if you want, for gas, I suppose.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Where have YOU BEEN MAN...???

I wish I could tell you. I don't get on the computer much any more. Been busy with work although not so much right now. Everything has been postponed through May 1st, our next race isn't until Detroit at the end of May. The wife and kid have been keeping me busy too.

Are you still doing HVAC? I may need to call on you to help move a line set for a project in the basement.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish I could tell you. I don't get on the computer much any more. Been busy with work although not so much right now. Everything has been postponed through May 1st, our next race isn't until Detroit at the end of May. The wife and kid have been keeping me busy too.

Are you still doing HVAC? I may need to call on you to help move a line set for a project in the basement.

Yes I am. Do you still have my info.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If you're anywhere near Greenfield you can get sturdy jugs at Comet Kart Sales on US40 just West of town. I've been racing 120mph go-karts since the 70's and have used the jugs sold at Comet for at least the last 15 years. They've held up well banging around in the trailer and in the pits. I use the smaller jugs with built in spout shown on their website for weekly fueling of things like the lawn mowers. I have a number of the 5 gallon jugs for storage with Sta-Bil. They also have spare parts like fill tubes, gaskets for the caps, etc. I also have a few of the VP jugs and they've been great so far.
    Comet Kart Sales

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    That RK jug isn't anywhere near the quality of race fuel jugs. I have no experience with the Jegs brand but I know my RCI and VP fuel jugs are far superior to the 1 RK jug I own.

Ok well I must redact my statement about the RK can. It seems as if they have a new brand in house. I bought two of them the other day and will state that so far I'm impressed with them. The "old" RK can I have is not U-line brand.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I got to thinking that if we all assume gas is about 1/2 price right now (which... it pretty much is), something like this becomes pretty compelling (basically 30% off, the way I'm looking at it).

If I had the space for such a thing, I'd strongly consider it. Even just using the vehicle fuel tanks as a transportation means to fill it would only take me a couple of hours. You guys with property might consider it.

Less ridiculously, I'm actually considering one of these... Same logic applied, it comes in right at a C-note.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Thought about those. For me, the 5 gallon cans are easier to handle right now. If I had space, there would be a 500 gallon tank being filled up.

I've been looking at the roll around guy for ages. My plan would be to fill 5s and then use them to fill the bigger guy, then refill the 5s. Wash, rinse, repeat. Kind of a bit of hassle, but I would really like the end result in practical usage to have gas on tap with no pumps or anything. That is the plan in the absence of a pickup anyhow. With a truck, I'd just fill it up and then wheel it down ramps, full, to store where ever.

Anyhow... It hadn't actually occurred to me until today that with gas prices falling into the basement, that it's a de facto discount on fuel storage vessels.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've been looking at the roll around guy for ages. My plan would be to fill 5s and then use them to fill the bigger guy, then refill the 5s. Wash, rinse, repeat. Kind of a bit of hassle, but I would really like the end result in practical usage to have gas on tap with no pumps or anything. That is the plan in the absence of a pickup anyhow. With a truck, I'd just fill it up and then wheel it down ramps, full, to store where ever.

Anyhow... It hadn't actually occurred to me until today that with gas prices falling into the basement, that it's a de facto discount on fuel storage vessels.

I just bought the roll around caddy from Northern. One of the gas cans I bought from RK is yellow so I will empty it into that first so I can then have a 5 gallon can for diesel. It will be nice having that much spare gas on hand if needed.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I just bought the roll around caddy from Northern. One of the gas cans I bought from RK is yellow so I will empty it into that first so I can then have a 5 gallon can for diesel. It will be nice having that much spare gas on hand if needed.

Cool! Let us know what you think of it. If they're still on sale come pay day, and I'm not dead by then, I may get one myself... It's been on the "that would be nice" list for years now.

Top Bottom