• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to moving fuel. We have a couple of pumps. 1 is a Holley electric unit for a carburetor car. Mounted on a board with an on/off switch and a cord with alligator clamps to tap into
    To the battery power to run the pump. It will empty a 5 in reasonable time. Reverse the hoses and you can pump your tank dry. We used this set up to fuel the drag cars between rounds.

The other is a chemical rated diaphragm pump. It will lift liquids 25 ft or more. And it is fast.

We have put some thought into all of this over time.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    As to moving fuel. We have a couple of pumps. 1 is a Holley electric unit for a carburetor car. Mounted on a board with an on/off switch and a cord with alligator clamps to tap into
    To the battery power to run the pump. It will empty a 5 in reasonable time. Reverse the hoses and you can pump your tank dry. We used this set up to fuel the drag cars between rounds.

The other is a chemical rated diaphragm pump. It will lift liquids 25 ft or more. And it is fast.

We have put some thought into all of this over time.

I have the ancient version of the click-clack type 12v pumps you're talking about. They work, but I honestly think the shaker tube is quicker. I timed it for the fun of it in the video and that tube dumped 2.5 gallons in just over a minute with about 2 feet of drop.

That diaphragm sounds interesting. My only complaint with the shaker tube is that it's short and you need at least some elevation change and my complaint with the click-clack is that it's slow. Sounds like that would fix both problems.

Also, of course I didn't mean to imply you hadn't thought about this over time. Just looks like maybe some of the other guys (and me for that matter) haven't achieved service station levels of spare gas yet so maybe they haven't gotten that far! ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the ancient version of the click-clack type 12v pumps you're talking about. They work, but I honestly think the shaker tube is quicker. I timed it for the fun of it in the video and that tube dumped 2.5 gallons in just over a minute with about 2 feet of drop.

That diaphragm sounds interesting. My only complaint with the shaker tube is that it's short and you need at least some elevation change and my complaint with the click-clack is that it's slow. Sounds like that would fix both problems.

Also, of course I didn't mean to imply you hadn't thought about this over time. Just looks like maybe some of the other guys (and me for that matter) haven't achieved service station levels of spare gas yet so maybe they haven't gotten that far! ;)

Being a racer has enlightened us on may levels. Running 2 cars when you get into the later rounds you have to be quick. Cool them down fuel them up and set tire pressures. Sometimes in the lanes. We came up with the pump thing
    G mounted on a pneumatic tire 2 wheel cart with a battery the pump and a place for the 5. Also a nitrogen cylinder (small and portable) all this strapped to a pit scooter. A mobile service rig so to speak.

When we stopped racing I kept the pumps.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Being a racer has enlightened us on may levels. Running 2 cars when you get into the later rounds you have to be quick. Cool them down fuel them up and set tire pressures. Sometimes in the lanes. We came up with the pump thing
    G mounted on a pneumatic tire 2 wheel cart with a battery the pump and a place for the 5. Also a nitrogen cylinder (small and portable) all this strapped to a pit scooter. A mobile service rig so to speak.

When we stopped racing I kept the pumps.

That sounds like a cool setup, indeed. I've always wanted to build something like that with an alternator, compressor/storage tank, and power it with a small gas engine just for wheeling out to stuff easily... Sounds like now I want a gas pump on it too as that could be pretty handy...

Now it sounds like it's becoming a trailer... or a service truck... a crane would be nice.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Jegs or summit. 5 gal. poly jugs. These are the ones racers use. We did. And we still do. They stash away readily and the positive seal on the lid is serious. Fuel will keep for a long time especially if you StayBil it.
    Yes there are a few bucks but some of mine are from 1998 and still viable. You get what you pay for.

These.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80213/10002/-1

Very reasonable for high quality + utility, especially considering the crap 5 gal at Rural King run $10.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Jegs or summit. 5 gal. poly jugs. These are the ones racers use. We did. And we still do. They stash away readily and the positive seal on the lid is serious. Fuel will keep for a long time especially if you StayBil it.
    Yes there are a few bucks but some of mine are from 1998 and still viable. You get what you pay for.

These.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80213/10002/-1

Thanks, CM ! I just purchased (2) of these to replace a couple of aging ones. :thumbsup:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Researching this awhile back led me to believe that if you go the metal 20L/5 Gal NATO Jerry Can route, Wavian/Valpro brand cans made in Latvia are the best quality route.

Because of the high price these high quality metal Jerry cans do not fit the OP’s request. That being said the Wavian cans are what I use for my storage/bugout needs. The Wavian cans are very well made and I have complete confidence in their structural integrity. While I know your not supposed to carry gas cans inside a car I would be comfortable with these inside my wife’s SUV. They seal shut and do not leak. The CARB compliant nozzle that comes with them is okay but I prefer a flexible metal nozzle.

With any fuel jug figure out how you are getting the fuel from the storage jug to the vehicle/equipment fuel tank. Some creative ideas above. Most of the CARB compliant nozzles supplies with fuel cans are finicky, leaky, and generally a pain in the butt. Find something after market, modify the shipped nozzle, or maybe get lucky and get a well designed one. How much fuel will you spill filling your lawn mower or generator? The other thing to consider is flow rate, how long can your wife hold five gallons of fuel chest high, at an awkward angle required by the nozzle to fill her gas tank?

With potential supply line/ shipping issues from Corona virus fears instead of buying toilet paper I ordered another Jerry can. My son lives in an apartment in hurricane alley and while not a prepper he stays prepared. So I just got him a couple 20L water storage jugs so he doesn’t have to wait in line to buy bottled water. The water jugs at the link below are high quality too although probably overpriced. The company has a big selection of storage containers and you could drive to Kentucky to pick up if shipping cost get too high.

https://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good point on the spouse using the 5's.
    We have smaller jugs for the lawn equipment.

People, keep you tanks full during this current insanity. For good reason. I see 3/4 tank and I am stopping. Especially at $1.99

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    People, keep you tanks full during this current insanity. For good reason. I see 3/4 tank and I am stopping. Especially at $1.99

I'm quoting you, not telling you (since I know you know :):) that with a little bit of effort, pumping the gas out of a modern EFI vehicle is child's play for anyone wise enough to be on INGO. For years I've considered my vehicles in the garage to be part of my emergency fuel. I'll probably go fill the Jeep up tomorrow now that I'm thinking about it...

So... Perhaps more reasons that are obvious on the surface to keep a full tank in your vehicles. In no more than 20 minutes you can have a vehicle pumped completely dry into cans if you need to run a generator or whatever else. I think most guys probably think of vehicle fuel in the opposite direction, but I'm more of the "bug-in" mindset... especially right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm quoting you, not telling you (since I know you know :):) that with a little bit of effort, pumping the gas out of a modern EFI vehicle is child's play for anyone wise enough to be on INGO. For years I've considered my vehicles in the garage to be part of my emergency fuel. I'll probably go fill the Jeep up tomorrow now that I'm thinking about it...

So... Perhaps more reasons that are obvious on the surface to keep a full tank in your vehicles. In no more than 20 minutes you can have a vehicle pumped completely dry into cans if you need to run a generator or whatever else. I think most guys probably think of vehicle fuel in the opposite direction, but I'm more of the "bug-in" mindset... especially right now.

Exactly. Both trucks have 30's under them. The daughters ford has a 35. That is a lot of reserves.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I cycled of 4 of the oldest jugs today that were well north of a year stored. Will fill them tomorrow on the Home Depot trip.
    Tested the fuel pump instead of dumping them. Put the extra battery for this on the smart charger.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Had all the cans empty till last night. Local station finally hit my price point under $2.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To the battery power to run the pump. It will empty a 5 in reasonable time. Reverse the hoses and you can pump your tank dry.

CM, Would you mind posting a photo of your pump cart? It sounds great!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I cycled of 4 of the oldest jugs today that were well north of a year stored. Will fill them tomorrow on the Home Depot trip.
    Tested the fuel pump instead of dumping them. Put the extra battery for this on the smart charger.

What are you treating your gas with to get it out that far in age? I'm not as flighty as some when it comes to fuel age, but anything beyond 18 months has me pretty nervous. I just ran some 2 year old, untreated, heavily diluted with fresh and everything went fine, but...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...with a little bit of effort, pumping the gas out of a modern EFI vehicle is child's play for anyone wise enough to be on INGO...

I'd love to hear your readily available solution?

I asked this question last year and didn't come up with any simple solutions. CM mentioned his custom built system, but otherwise the consensus is that moving fuel from vehicle to vehicle in modern cars is not simple. :dunno:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hing-gas-modern-cars.html?468381=#post7917724

Top Bottom