• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sta-Bil is still in play. I see a lot of content about how ethanol breaks down small engine fuel systems. So if we're going to store fuel for long periods I want to protect my chainsaws, log spliters, other small engines from deterioration over the long term.

Ethanol is a moisture magnet. It is also very hard on fuel system components. Store the unleaded fuel you get from the pump in heavy Poly/plastc containers if possible. Steel works but make sure the seal is intact and is actually sealing.
    Cycle the stored fuel out as you can. We tray and turn ours over every year. Catch prices low (right now) and fill the vehicles with it and re-fill the jugs. Add StayBil and seal it up. Never had issues with fuel 2 years old stored this way.

We are cycling ours out right now with prices as they are.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Do you do anything special to store your jugs more safely than some other way? When I was a home owner I had a shed I kept the extra in, but here I just have them in the attached garage. If even the relatively small amount of spare gas I have ever went off, it would be a total loss.

I bought one one of the plastic storage boxes from Sams and put it near the deck. Keeps everything outside, but is lockable if I decide to.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If you guys live near Trafalgar the Phillips 66 sells ethanol free. It’s $4.99/gallon even right now. It’s the only fuel I use in all of my powered equipment even my zero turn.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Fishing Shed down here near Lake Monroe sells ethanol free fuel. The CountryMark in town does not.

I borrowed a relatively new tiller from a friend a few years back that had sit in a shed for 2-3 years. It wouldn't start so I started examining it. Fuel tank was almost full, 50/50 fuel to water.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This afternoon I ordered five of the 5 gallon Jegs cans in red.

Got a call a little bit ago from an Ohio number. Figured it was spam so let it go. Listened to the voicemail and it was Jegs calling to get a physical address. Amazing that they are working on a Sunday as well.

Having them shipped to my jobsite so maybe I can take advantage of the price drops on gas.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This afternoon I ordered five of the 5 gallon Jegs cans in red.

Got a call a little bit ago from an Ohio number. Figured it was spam so let it go. Listened to the voicemail and it was Jegs calling to get a physical address. Amazing that they are working on a Sunday as well.

Having them shipped to my jobsite so maybe I can take advantage of the price drops on gas.

Came in today. Unfortunately I didn't wait around for them. Filled a couple fives and a 2.5 plus my truck which was almost on vapor. Gas was 1.64 a gallon for the low octane stuff.

Will go fill the new jugs tomorrow and grab some stabil for four of them.

Do you still use the low octane for storage? I do, but only because I am cheap.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Came in today. Unfortunately I didn't wait around for them. Filled a couple fives and a 2.5 plus my truck which was almost on vapor. Gas was 1.64 a gallon for the low octane stuff.

Will go fill the new jugs tomorrow and grab some stabil for four of them.

Do you still use the low octane for storage? I do, but only because I am cheap.

All grades can contain up to 10% ethanol, so, may as well go cheap if that's all your stuff needs. I also skip the Stabil and just cycle the gas out twice a year. Not a big deal for me to dump the cans every 6 months.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I just bought the roll around caddy from Northern. One of the gas cans I bought from RK is yellow so I will empty it into that first so I can then have a 5 gallon can for diesel. It will be nice having that much spare gas on hand if needed.

Alright gentlemen (and ladies, if there are any present) my FedEx man dropped off my Duramax Flo-go 14 gallon gas tank. It comes almost completely assembled, all you have to do is put the hose on. It took 14 gallons easily and that is the max it will take. When I stood it up the gas was right at the filler neck. One thing I did read is that since it’s a gravity tank it has to be above what your filling. Not a problem for me but lifting a can with 14 gallons of full in it may not be an easy task for some. If you read the reviews there is a guy that shows what he calls a fatal flaw. His tank has the wheels rubbing the body. That’s not at all the way mine is. It rolls nice full and empty. When I get my “shelf” built for it I’ll post pics. I’m hoping to build it today but the wifey wants to put in flower beds so I have to go get dirt and plants.

As far as was it worth it? So far I would buy it again. I wish they had a yellow one to store diesel in.

I only store the ethanol free stuff. If we have left over gas at the end of the season it goes in my wife’s car, mix fuel and all. Obviously not all at once but here in there it doesn’t hurt a thing.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I get my “shelf” built for it I’ll post pics.

Maybe you can rig up a ramp for your shelf since this is on wheels. That would help my spouse in getting things filled.

As it is now I have to keep small jugs for her because lifting is an issue with the five gallon versions.

Slow start today, but I am headed out to fill mine. Hope gas didn't sky rocket as I was lazy yesterday and didn't go.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Maybe you can rig up a ramp for your shelf since this is on wheels. That would help my spouse in getting things filled.

As it is now I have to keep small jugs for her because lifting is an issue with the five gallon versions.

Slow start today, but I am headed out to fill mine. Hope gas didn't sky rocket as I was lazy yesterday and didn't go.
    A ramp is a good idea, but where it has to go there is zero room.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Anyone know where I can get spouts for surplus poly 5 gal cans? I have several of the previous style with the interior of the opening threaded. I can find a homebuilt version on amazon but really would like to have a couple original spouts.

ETA: I've been told you shouldn't / can't use the metal spouts on the poly cans.

Lot of knowledge here. An alternative I found is an adapter but would prefer to have a proper spout.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Filled four of the jugs with 5 gallon each and stabil. Just as a test I guess. The other I put a little more in since I plan to use it. Also filled a couple more generic cans I already had and my truck again even though it was only two days.

Gas here for the low octane is 1.64 (best price) so I have my longer term storage fuel in at $33.

Plan to fill the mowers up and re-stock the generic cans while the price is low. I keep seeing more green in the lawns I have to deal with. Only problem with spring I can think of.

Glock1230

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2020
    Hamilton County
    Ive been buying the briggs and Stratton 5 gal plastic cans and using fuel stabilizer. I rotate them out through the summer and fill them up when they are used...then rotate them to the back of the line. I have also been trying to find some metal cans, but too many fakes out there makes me nervous to buy

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If you guys live near Trafalgar the Phillips 66 sells ethanol free. It’s $4.99/gallon even right now. It’s the only fuel I use in all of my powered equipment even my zero turn.

JEEZ thats high! $2.39 at countryman this week in Elwood.

Is demand for ethanol-free really that high? Or, is this a make believe value because not every station sells it and it's "scarce"?

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Is demand for ethanol-free really that high? Or, is this a make believe value because not every station sells it and it's "scarce"?

My mower warranty is void if I use ethanol fuel. It’s beyond worth it to me. I also do t have all the issues others do with my power equipment keeping ethanol fuel out of those tanks.

Top Bottom