• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    New mower delivered yesterday, and it was empty.

I pulled out the 5 gallon Jegs can I filled up when fuel was cheap. This is the only one I didn't put stabil in.

I have a hose and valve attachment on a different cap. I put it on and then the trouble started.

Stupid I know, but I popped the relief valve and started dumping fuel, only to have the excess start spilling out of the relief valve. What a let down. Didn't consider this when I bought five of these. I have to dump it in so slow it makes me wonder if it is worth it.

So someone who is in the know let me in on the secret to getting fuel out of these 5 gallon containers in a reasonable amount of time. If I just have to put a big funnel in the mower I guess I will. There is no way my spouse would hold the jug up for as long as it took to drain it.

Guess I can just fill it with some stabil and put it up for longer storage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    New mower delivered yesterday, and it was empty.

I pulled out the 5 gallon Jegs can I filled up when fuel was cheap. This is the only one I didn't put stabil in.

I have a hose and valve attachment on a different cap. I put it on and then the trouble started.

Stupid I know, but I popped the relief valve and started dumping fuel, only to have the excess start spilling out of the relief valve. What a let down. Didn't consider this when I bought five of these. I have to dump it in so slow it makes me wonder if it is worth it.

So someone who is in the know let me in on the secret to getting fuel out of these 5 gallon containers in a reasonable amount of time. If I just have to put a big funnel in the mower I guess I will. There is no way my spouse would hold the jug up for as long as it took to drain it.

Guess I can just fill it with some stabil and put it up for longer storage.

I put a ball valve and hose on the extra cap so I can control the flow. I also do not use a 5 gallon reserve storage jug to fill a lawn mower. I have a 1 gallon and a 2 gallon jug for these things that I transfer the fuel from the 5's into. It is a hell of a lot easier to control. I take the smaller ones with me when I have to use my on site genny. I never take the 5's.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I put a ball valve and hose on the extra cap so I can control the flow. I also do not use a 5 gallon reserve storage jug to fill a lawn mower. I have a 1 gallon and a 2 gallon jug for these things that I transfer the fuel from the 5's into. It is a hell of a lot easier to control. I take the smaller ones with me when I have to use my on site genny. I never take the 5's.

My mower has a 12 gallon tank. That's why I used (tried) the 5 gallon jug. I have the hose and valve in the new cap for flow control. I just thought (before looking) that I could dump a lot of fuel at one time from them.

How did you use these with the race cars? Maybe I bought the wrong jugs. I was hoping to be able to dump more on demand than I can with this set up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My mower has a 12 gallon tank. That's why I used (tried) the 5 gallon jug. I have the hose and valve in the new cap for flow control. I just thought (before looking) that I could dump a lot of fuel at one time from them.

How did you use these with the race cars? Maybe I bought the wrong jugs. I was hoping to be able to dump more on demand than I can with this set up.

OK now that's a lawn mower. I was thinking the half gallon tank on mine....:):
    These are not speed fill jugs. We used them exactly like they are set up now but we had a 2 wheel cart with an battery and a High Volume Holley pump that we used to fill the cars. Saved my back swing 5 gallons of fuel in the trunk.

Made life more easy.....:):
    M5PJwEa.jpg

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Ok, so now we are onto something. I need to figure out a better way to dump the fuel.

Some asshat figured they needed my 18' dovetail trailer and my 72" commercial mower more than I did. Just got a replacement mower (trailer not covered). It holds a little more fuel than a push mower or residential rider. I am lazy and want to not deal with refuels that take too long. I am not in the lawn biz, but I value my time.

Used to be able to fuel the old mower's two tanks and the truck while I pulled the trailer. Now I only have enclosed trailers so that's not an option.

Anyone with fast, efficient and not overly complicated ideas?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

My scag has a 6" gas cap so I just pour it in from the mouth of the 5 gallon. Smaller tanks get the hose and the ball valve and a gentle stream I can control. I rarely open the air valve until about 1/2 the can is empty. Air bubbles up into the can quite nicely from the ball valve and hose contraption that Jeg's sells

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ok, so now we are onto something. I need to figure out a better way to dump the fuel.

Some asshat figured they needed my 18' dovetail trailer and my 72" commercial mower more than I did. Just got a replacement mower (trailer not covered). It holds a little more fuel than a push mower or residential rider. I am lazy and want to not deal with refuels that take too long. I am not in the lawn biz, but I value my time.

Used to be able to fuel the old mower's two tanks and the truck while I pulled the trailer. Now I only have enclosed trailers so that's not an option.

Anyone with fast, efficient and not overly complicated ideas?

Funnel always worked for Grandpa. People without patience should not screw around with highly flammable liquids.

Just sayin'.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My scag has a 6" gas cap so I just pour it in from the mouth of the 5 gallon. Smaller tanks get the hose and the ball valve and a gentle stream I can control. I rarely open the air valve until about 1/2 the can is empty. Air bubbles up into the can quite nicely from the ball valve and hose contraption that Jeg's sells

Will see about just a straight pour. Not by the mower now but I think the cap is set back into the machine a bit.

I tried running the hose with the air valve closed. It trickled in that way. If it was a push mower that would be fine.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Jegs or summit. 5 gal. poly jugs. These are the ones racers use. We did. And we still do. They stash away readily and the positive seal on the lid is serious. Fuel will keep for a long time especially if you StayBil it.
    Yes there are a few bucks but some of mine are from 1998 and still viable. You get what you pay for.

These.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80213/10002/-1

Are these fuel cans the same as your "Jegs"? I want to make sure I'm getting the real thing and not a knockoff.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fu...l+can&qid=1595862983&s=automotive&sr=1-3&th=1

Top Bottom