• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'd love to hear your readily available solution?

I asked this question last year and didn't come up with any simple solutions. CM mentioned his custom built system, but otherwise the consensus is that moving fuel from vehicle to vehicle in modern cars is not simple. :dunno:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hing-gas-modern-cars.html?468381=#post7917724

More shameless self promotion, if you don't mind...

Also.. This is only slightly more difficult on a not ancient EFI Ford. You just have to jump the fuel pump relay instead of jump the diagnostic connector. If you really want to see what I'm talking about, this badly needs done on my Blazer since the fuel smells like a fart crapped its pants and it has no such handy EEC IV connector, so I'll have to do it the way probably 99% of guys do. I can probably commit to filming that this weekend and getting it up this coming week. My back isn't awesome right now (hence my radically increased INGO participation as of late) so... we'll see.

[video=youtube_share;Nveves9HZsc]https://youtu.be/Nveves9HZsc[/video]

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have several old style poly cans. (I should probably go fill them.) The new cans suck, but can be retrofitted for about $10. With the spouts out of the kit the poly cans store very well, almost zero loss to evaporation.

Has anyone stored fuel in a 30 or 55 gallon barrel? I've contemplated contacting my supplier at work to see if they will deliver a barrel or two with ethanol free gas for me.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone stored fuel in a 30 or 55 gallon barrel? I've contemplated contacting my supplier at work to see if they will deliver a barrel or two with ethanol free gas for me.

Steven Harris is a frequent contributor on the "The Survival Podcast". He recommends 15 gal. water storage barrels. You can finds the links to his fuel storage preparedness episode as well as other topics like generators, battery banks, etc. at Steven Harris Radio Show Website.

There are also links to most of the items he recommends. The link to the 15 gal. barrels shows them out of stock, but I found several other sellers on Amazon that appear to sell identical barrels. I have been considering switching to these as the red 5 gal. cans I bought at Menards start to leak.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll just say that even tho I kinda hate buying their stuff I have two metal 5 gal cans from HF. The nozzles are junk but for just plain storage it works for me, my first one I bought about 3 years ago no problems.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My research years back led me to steel cans over plastic. Plastic is slightly porous, thus exposes fuel to oxygen that a sealed steel can will not.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was lucky in the sense that I bought my jerry cans before they started mandating the worthless california compliant nozzles be on every order. Back in the day on lexingtoncontainer and a few other places like SOE they were in the $50 - $75 per can range to your door. Gasoline is an insurance policy for me. My gas powered generator, and other tools run on it. If we need to leave home I'd do so assuming we won't get resupplied. I have a "few" of the metal jerry cans and during a year of mowing several acres it's not a big deal for me to cycle them out. Toss in the stabil, with every container and at least you have something on hand that'll work.

Along the topic of fuel comes with tools & equipment that take fuel getting gummed up if we make a mistake. Ask me how I figured this next part out..... Anyway, look at your equipment and do an ebay & amazon search for that make & model carburetor. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that for $20 ish shipped to your door you will have all the spare parts you could need to get a machine up and running again. However, this is also one of those things that if you didn't already have it on hand it may be too late since the latest rumor mill is that state lines will be shut down and that may or may not include shipping companies.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy some of those Jegs CM was mentioning. I have some of the typical 5 gallon gas cans that have the spill proof nozzles and they suck. Regularly when I use them I find myself swearing and remembering the good old days of when the nozzles didn't make you spill gas or be a nuisance. If anyone has an answer for that I'm all ears.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I was lucky in the sense that I bought my jerry cans before they started mandating the worthless california compliant nozzles be on every order. Back in the day on lexingtoncontainer and a few other places like SOE they were in the $50 - $75 per can range to your door. Gasoline is an insurance policy for me. My gas powered generator, and other tools run on it. If we need to leave home I'd do so assuming we won't get resupplied. I have a "few" of the metal jerry cans and during a year of mowing several acres it's not a big deal for me to cycle them out. Toss in the stabil, with every container and at least you have something on hand that'll work.

Along the topic of fuel comes with tools & equipment that take fuel getting gummed up if we make a mistake. Ask me how I figured this next part out..... Anyway, look at your equipment and do an ebay & amazon search for that make & model carburetor. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that for $20 ish shipped to your door you will have all the spare parts you could need to get a machine up and running again. However, this is also one of those things that if you didn't already have it on hand it may be too late since the latest rumor mill is that state lines will be shut down and that may or may not include shipping companies.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy some of those Jegs CM was mentioning. I have some of the typical 5 gallon gas cans that have the spill proof nozzles and they suck. Regularly when I use them I find myself swearing and remembering the good old days of when the nozzles didn't make you spill gas or be a nuisance. If anyone has an answer for that I'm all ears.

Can confirm on the spare parts. A straight up new carb for my generator was like $22. I bought one as a spare just to have it, as well as a rebuild kit.

I answered your final question in post 20.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a couple of the cheap Jerry cans, bought on Amazon a few years back. They seem solid and seal well, but the stupid ventilation tubes in the spouts won't let a conventional commercial gas nozzle enter the hole. It makes for sloppy and slow filling, if you don't want to wear gas home. :xmad:

I wonder if one cannot pound or pry those vent tubes out, without destroying or messing up the spout seal?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I answered your final question in post 20.

I've seen the air vents before and I'm not that interested in them. I'm more focused on the nozzle itself like the one you had in the video. The nozzles I have are the spring loaded junk types and I'd much rather have the old school type with the air vent already in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And also to evaporation and vapor build up in the storage area. I've noticed this with my plastic cans.

I have well north of 100 gallons of fuel stored in the 5 gallon poly jugs listed up stream in my shop. Even on the hottest days in the summer there is never evidence of loss as to evap or pressure building from 95# temps in the closed shop. And some of these jugs are 16 years old. You will get exactly what you pay for in this.
    Ethanol is a moisture magnet. Unless you have a well sealed metal can with the lining rust "Could" be in your future.

Now before you guys jump on me I said "Could" as I have seen this.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've seen the air vents before and I'm not that interested in them. I'm more focused on the nozzle itself like the one you had in the video. The nozzles I have are the spring loaded junk types and I'd much rather have the old school type with the air vent already in it.

The shaker tube solves all of the above problems... But, I gotcha. Those are pretty readily available. I personally had bad luck with the EZ pour brand, but they are but one of many out there. The nozzle on one of my cans I just got off of eBay after being frustrated by the EZ Pour debacle and I just wanted to put my next money on a sure thing, so I did.

I would also suspect you could just break the goofy mechanism off of what you have or drill the guts out? :dunno:

I'll also say that restoring it back to proper 1965 venting operation is well, well, worth the time. Not sure why you'd want a goofy self venting neck. But, to each their own.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I saw the racing poly cans @ Rural King today for $20.

I bought one yesterday. Can't tell a difference unless the Jegs cap has a significant rubber gasket. The RK model has what appears to be a small one that will likely do the job.

ebb825c33f5f646e1cdbf8b0f3535794243ca9ca_21636003_21636003_image_21636003.jpg

Top Bottom