Not open for further replies.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Nothing better than a tree on the ground!
    This one had me worried with the split in the middle and the lean in the opposite direction ... I was cutting about should high and that 046 gets a little heavy! I also had a dog on the saw break and couldn’t get any leverage. Just ordered 2 new ones

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    These days when dropping a tree, my strategy is to use the tractor and front loader to get a push in the direction I want it to go. I cut while under the bucket which gives me some protection from branches falling. Best of all is what John says, get at them after the good Lord puts them on the ground for you.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Finished cutting the last dead oak that I had felled a week ago. Stacked all the small stuff in the shed, splitting pieces out of the way. Done with wood for the season, but will probably take a load to a buddy. Pays with good foreign brewski’s, and some cash.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This one had me worried with the split in the middle and the lean in the opposite direction ... I was cutting about should high and that 046 gets a little heavy! I also had a dog on the saw break and couldn’t get any leverage. Just ordered 2 new ones
    Man! How do you manage to break a dog? I've had a couple of scrapes where I was worried that I was going to bend the bar, but those dogs seem to be pretty sturdy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not sure but it broke at where it mounts on the saw. It’s an older 046 but runs/works great.

I use an 046 as my primary saw, I'll keep an eye out for that. It's a great saw, but I'll have to get a longer bar in the future or another saw, as my forest ages the trees are getting bigger around at the base.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I use an 046 as my primary saw, I'll keep an eye out for that. It's a great saw, but I'll have to get a longer bar in the future or another saw, as my forest ages the trees are getting bigger around at the base.
    At 3 1/2 hp my 271 is a pretty good all around consumer saw. But I noticed in my last video more than a couple times it bogged on that heavy oak. Since I'm cutting mostly hardwoods I'd like to get something like the 462 with nearly twice the horsepower (and more than twice the money!).

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At 3 1/2 hp my 271 is a pretty good all around consumer saw. But I noticed in my last video more than a couple times it bogged on that heavy oak. Since I'm cutting mostly hardwoods I'd like to get something like the 462 with nearly twice the horsepower (and more than twice the money!).

That beech tree in some of your videos looks like it's about 2" in diameter.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That beech tree in some of your videos looks like it's about 2' in diameter.
    Every bit of 2 ft. But I am suspicious that it is hollow. Some Saturday this winter I'm going to try and cut the base and let the root ball drop back into the hole it made. It fell across the lane to the target area of the 50 yd range. So I have an incentive to cut it up.
    099.jpg

100.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I agree, beech trees like that I've cut up in the past are usually hollow. You may find varmints inside.

I can say that anything I've cut like that with a tipped up root ball, stayed tipped up. Cut up a pig nut hickory last month that was that way.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I agree, beech trees like that I've cut up in the past are usually hollow. You may find varmints inside.

I can say that anything I've cut like that with a tipped up root ball, stayed tipped up. Cut up a pig nut hickory last month that was that way.
    Yep, it may stay in place. It went down in April of 2019 and a lot of the dirt from the root ball has washed into the hole.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom