Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A full day of firewood harvesting. The last load out of the woods for the day and you want a pic for posterity. That look your teenager gives you when you say smile for the camera.

006.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Was she just along for the ride? Maybe the picture is misleading, but she doesn't look dirty, let alone skinned up, bruised or bleeding?

Good for you all if you got some work out of the young lady. If so, it will benefit her beyond most other learning.

76caprice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2020
    Franktucky
    Did the same thing only on a bigger scale. Full car trailer full and bed of pickup!

Attachments

• 6F814FE2-1E35-4D7A-A529-2B24D030B6E6.jpg
      6F814FE2-1E35-4D7A-A529-2B24D030B6E6.jpg
      141.5 KB · Views: 96

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Was she just along for the ride? Maybe the picture is misleading, but she doesn't look dirty, let alone skinned up, bruised or bleeding?

Good for you all if you got some work out of the young lady. If so, it will benefit her beyond most other learning.

Dirty? Skinned up? Bruised? Bleeding? That sounds like the "just returned from cutting wood" checklist to me!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Experiences she will remember her entire life and tell her kids about how grandpa used to drag her out to the woods to cut firewood.

Dirty? Skinned up? Bruised? Bleeding? That sounds like the "just returned from cutting wood" checklist to me!

LOL, the girl is pretty versatile. She usually drives the Gator and runs the winch pulling logs into the open for rounding. I was driving this trip because there was about 750 lbs of logs in the bed that you can't see from this angle. Our land is fairly hilly and some spots on the trail get dicey.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Started hitting heavy. Working on a dead red oak that must be 4.5 ft across.. can only imagine how old it is. Top blew out and my 25” bar doesn’t go thru on one pass. What a great weekend to be in the woods. Had the grandkids out helping and that was worth it to hear them talk..

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, in the four years we've owned our property, we have learned so much about trees in general and therefore firewood. We cut oak, walnut, hickory, beech, sassafras.

Today, some pre-firewooding chores. Playing with my new-to-me Christmas present to myself. Then later we tried to cut rounds off that 32" oak log behind me. That resulted in ground contact and rendering my chain completely useless.
    009.jpg

Here's an old pic of the fruits of our labor. That all went to a good friend.
    002.jpg

It was just pointed out to me that I have posted another pic featuring RBF.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Started hitting heavy. Working on a dead red oak that must be 4.5 ft across.. can only imagine how old it is. Top blew out and my 25” bar doesn’t go thru on one pass. What a great weekend to be in the woods. Had the grandkids out helping and that was worth it to hear them talk..

Holy smokes. That was a mature tree when Mad Anthony and the boys were burning villages in the neighborhood....

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    My dad has a ton of down trees in his woods with a bunch already cut up and stacked. He cannot get anyone to take it. Is there that many people who burn wood still for heat?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My dad has a ton of down trees in his woods with a bunch already cut up and stacked. He cannot get anyone to take it. Is there that many people who burn wood still for heat?

There are. People that supplement their HVAC with their fireplace, people that run a wood stove and try to not use their furnace, people that enjoy a fire pit. They are out there and will pay money for decent and dry split wood. Some folks like small pieces that are 12" long, most though like 16" long pieces.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Here’s a picture that does it no justice..
    7830057-C-04-BA-43-C5-BB33-1-B852-A851071.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

The bottom log is 31’ and 27” at the fat end. We were using a 1 ton diesel truck to pull them out and the black smoke was rolling!

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    He has been trying to get people for years to cut it up and take it. I don’t think he is even trying to sell it for money. Just cannot get people interested. Lots of people say yeah I will come get it and never show up. He has tried word of mouth and places like FB marketplace and CL. If you know anyone interested in the NE corner of the state let me know.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Depends on what kind of wood it is, if it's pine or cottonwood or other crap it may just be campfire wood

QFT.

This is why we have started a new pile - burnable wood you wouldn't want to bring in the house and put in your stove/fireplace. Full disclosure - it was suggested by the mouse, and we have plenty of it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom