Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The saw was about half way through a branch about a foot in diameter. It pinched the bar solidly so I didn't even try to work it loose. The high lift jack rolled the tree back just enough to remove it without a struggle, but I'm not sure if the jack was going any further, got lucky in that respect. Tried the front loader on the tractor first, no go, so I went back to the barn for the jack.

Working in the crown area of a big downed tree is a little spooky as they roll. I try and work from the top down.
    Always small stuff to the larger. Remove the leverage as much as possible.
    This is exactly what we have with that big beech. The crown is massive, we've taken so much from it and half of it is left. What remains we are reluctant to cut on because it is what is keeping that big trunk off the ground. With multiple limbs touching the ground, one can't be certain which one carries the bulk of the load. If that trunk rolled at you, it wouldn't end well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Going to be windy in the woods tomorrow, but I'm going to collect and split some of the wood we cut Friday. Did find another stand right on my southern border.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Going to be windy in the woods tomorrow, but I'm going to collect and split some of the wood we cut Friday. Did find another stand right on my southern border.
    Same thing. Headed out tomorrow morning for a bit. Dropping a good sized hard maple and maybe a beech. Hoped the wind would take down the widow maker for me but it’s staying there..

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I didn't process it as it was not my property... Did stop and pull it down and get it outta the way though before dark. Lol, I think state property.....

Attachments

• IMG_20211115_112405001.jpg
      IMG_20211115_112405001.jpg
      4.9 MB · Views: 12

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I no longer have a wood stove or the health to run one, but I do like cutting wood.

If any of you guys cut a black locust or osage orange, I would gladly pay you for some pieces. I make mallets and those are my two favorite woods to work with.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Same thing. Headed out tomorrow morning for a bit. Dropping a good sized hard maple and maybe a beech. Hoped the wind would take down the widow maker for me but it’s staying there..
    And wet too.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Nice looking UTV!
    It has served me well. Broke my strobe bar off throwing logs in it a few weeks ago if you look real close its just hanging because I have not got to it yet lol.

Its got a lot of aftermarket goodies on it. ECU has even been custom flashed this past spring runs on premium only now and is flat out scary when I put my right foot in kill mode.:nailbite:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Someday I'm going to get a UTV like you and John have to take guests around in my woods. Right now the ATV's and the tractor get every job in the woods I want done accomplished.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Its got a lot of aftermarket goodies on it. ECU has even been custom flashed this past spring runs on premium only now and is flat out scary when I put my right foot in kill mode.:nailbite:
    The Gator is supposed to make 45 mph but I've never seen that in it (although I suspect one of my teenagers has :bat:). I rarely get it to 10 mph toolin' around in the woods.

Someday I'm going to get a UTV like you and John have to take guests around in my woods. Right now the ATV's and the tractor get every job in the woods I want done accomplished.
    I need a tractor. :crying:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Gator is supposed to make 45 mph but I've never seen that in it (although I suspect one of my teenagers has :bat:). I rarely get it to 10 mph toolin' around in the woods.

I need a tractor. :crying:

The front rack of my 95 Honda has a big dent in it from a tree collision, I was lucky to be wearing a helmet as I was catapulted over the front of the ATV directly into the tree. My younger days running ATV's at speed in the Perry County woods with equally drunk friends. Crashes and injuries only brought laughter, today things are different.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The front rack of my 95 Honda has a big dent in it from a tree collision, I was lucky to be wearing a helmet as I was catapulted over the front of the ATV directly into the tree. My younger days running ATV's at speed in the Perry County woods with equally drunk friends. Crashes and injuries only brought laughter, today things are different.
    Trust me, I know from what you speak. It was motocross bikes for me & my friends. And I can guarantee you the trees in Putnam County are just as hard as the ones in Perry!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    And wet too.
    Dropped this last weekend and it went right where I I wanted to go.. hit the earth on the first try! About 70’ tall and another on right beside it that is coming down soon..
    I know.. it thawed and not going muck up my trails.. might go out cut on Saturday. Have to work on Sunday.. either way in the woods is a good day! 3E296320-72C9-47C7-934F-C19462E5501E.jpeg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Dropped this last weekend and it went right where I I wanted to go.. hit the earth on the first try! About 70’ tall and another on right beside it that is coming down soon..
    I know.. it thawed and not going muck up my trails.. might go out cut on Saturday. Have to work on Sunday.. either way in the woods is a good day! View attachment 170878
    Do you know your trees well enough to name that variety? I would call that Oak, maybe Pin Oak.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom