Not open for further replies.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Every bit of 2 ft. But I am suspicious that it is hollow. Some Saturday this winter I'm going to try and cut the base and let the root ball drop back into the hole it made. It fell across the lane to the target area of the 50 yd range. So I have an incentive to cut it up.
    View attachment 169027

View attachment 169028
    I have a beech or two like that size that need to come down.. pilated woodpeckers have nest in them and hate to disturb them. About too big to mess with now.. save it for later in the winter. I have a good sized hard maple that is closer to the top of the list
    Need to mix some other wood with the ash as it gets colder is the plan. Hope to cut and drag out logs on Saturday and Sunday.
    I too use the 046 for most cutting purposes and it just works good and quickly.. I have a couple of other saws that need to have carbs replaced that I use but with buying a ms331 I’m not missing them. It’s not as thirsty as the 046.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a beech or two like that size that need to come down.. pilated woodpeckers have nest in them and hate to disturb them. About too big to mess with now.. save it for later in the winter. I have a good sized hard maple that is closer to the top of the list
    Need to mix some other wood with the ash as it gets colder is the plan. Hope to cut and drag out logs on Saturday and Sunday.
    I too use the 046 for most cutting purposes and it just works good and quickly.. I have a couple of other saws that need to have carbs replaced that I use but with buying a ms331 I’m not missing them. It’s not as thirsty as the 046.
    See, I get into that mess too. Absolutely LOVE having pileated woodpeckers around, they are a lot of fun to watch -- big birds! The OG always says that if the tree is not posing a clear and present danger, it can wait another season.

I have not had many opportunities with hard maple. But the beech is a good stove wood.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cut 2 truck loads Saturday and 2 more Sunday from the piles the tree service dumped out behind my barn. Just the small stuff that doesn't need to be split. Should get me through December.

Came home Monday to the water temp in boiler down to 75 degrees, set point was 165.:scratch:

Took the back cover off to find the draft blower DOA. The boiler uses a Dayton 1tdn7. These seem to last me somewhere between 3-5 years. When I started it up a few weeks ago, the blower sounded like it was on its last leg. Noisy and noticeably down on RPMs. But I like to have spare parts around so I had a new one in inventory.

I had bought it on Amazon last year, but I didn't buy a Dayton. Bought a NBK on Amazon. It was about $10 cheaper and had Prime delivery. It lasted 3 weeks.

I put the old one back on and ordered a new Dayton from Grainger. Wife picked it up yesterday and now we're back to running like a champ.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Cut 2 truck loads Saturday and 2 more Sunday from the piles the tree service dumped out behind my barn. Just the small stuff that doesn't need to be split. Should get me through December.

Came home Monday to the water temp in boiler down to 75 degrees, set point was 165.:scratch:

Took the back cover off to find the draft blower DOA. The boiler uses a Dayton 1tdn7. These seem to last me somewhere between 3-5 years. When I started it up a few weeks ago, the blower sounded like it was on its last leg. Noisy and noticeably down on RPMs. But I like to have spare parts around so I had a new one in inventory.

I had bought it on Amazon last year, but I didn't buy a Dayton. Bought a NBK on Amazon. It was about $10 cheaper and had Prime delivery. It lasted 3 weeks.

I put the old one back on and ordered a new Dayton from Grainger. Wife picked it up yesterday and now we're back to running like a champ.
    Had that issue and keep a spare motor and assembly on hand. Have to check on the website name but all they sell is wood boiler/wood stove products.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Had that issue and keep a spare motor and assembly on hand. Have to check on the website name but all they sell is wood boiler/wood stove products.
    Grainger always has that blower and the damper door solenoid in stock. It's just a pain for me to get out to that side of South Bend. It was nice when they had an Elkhart store I drove past everyday. Now I just keep one of each on the shelf.

This reminded me, I have never replaced my circulator pump. Same one has been on since 2009, running 24/7 during heating season. Probably need to get one of those ordered.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have found its best to just step up to what you know works for you . Especially when it comes to these parts/pieces and situations. $10 less and in hand 24 hours later is tempting but.....:dunno:
    Glad you have it back up and running.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Great video, elderberries do in fact make very good, unique wine. Not sure if that's what you have, I usually gather earlier and you can also make wine from the flowers.
    Those berries have been on the vine since it was warmer. The OG just noticed them since the leaves dropped and she asked what they were. My reply was practically off the cuff since I wasn't entirely sure. As per her usual, she did some diligence and found that there are true elderberries and false elderberries that will make you sick. I asked, and yes, she explained how to tell the difference. I asked the obvious follow up question, and no, they aren't poisonous per se but they will make your innards very unhappy if you consume a good amount.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Those berries have been on the vine since it was warmer. The OG just noticed them since the leaves dropped and she asked what they were. My reply was practically off the cuff since I wasn't entirely sure. As per her usual, she did some diligence and found that there are true elderberries and false elderberries that will make you sick. I asked, and yes, she explained how to tell the difference. I asked the obvious follow up question, and no, they aren't poisonous per se but they will make your innards very unhappy if you consume a good amount.
    So if the guy that put Andy's gun down his pants lives to a ripe old age... would he have "elder berries"? ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cut odd and end trees today, mostly hard maple and one sassafras. Worked on the big hickory and pinched the saw badly when the top rolled slightly. Times like this make the high lift jack worth it's weight in gold.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Worked on the big hickory and pinched the saw badly when the top rolled slightly. Times like this make the high lift jack worth it's weight in gold.
    I did something similar a couple weekends ago. After I freed the saw and went back to work, the chain jumped. I've never had it do that before. I was mostly done for the day and put the chain back on the bar and put it away. The following weekend I pulled the saw out to sharpen the chain when I discovered it was binding badly at certain points of rotation but loose at others. Concerned I had bent the bar, I put a brand new chain on and the problem went away. I've not stretched a chain that badly before. :whistle:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The saw was about half way through a branch about a foot in diameter. It pinched the bar solidly so I didn't even try to work it loose. The high lift jack rolled the tree back just enough to remove it without a struggle, but I'm not sure if the jack was going any further, got lucky in that respect. Tried the front loader on the tractor first, no go, so I went back to the barn for the jack.

Working in the crown area of a big downed tree is a little spooky as they roll. I try and work from the top down.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The saw was about half way through a branch about a foot in diameter. It pinched the bar solidly so I didn't even try to work it loose. The high lift jack rolled the tree back just enough to remove it without a struggle, but I'm not sure if the jack was going any further, got lucky in that respect. Tried the front loader on the tractor first, no go, so I went back to the barn for the jack.

Working in the crown area of a big downed tree is a little spooky as they roll. I try and work from the top down.
    Always small stuff to the larger. Remove the leverage as much as possible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom