Elon Musk Becomes Twitter’s Largest Shareholder…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think INGO and Twitter are a conduit to what might be valid news sources, but in and of themselves aren't really. Twitter was designed as a social media platform and nothing else. It was originally limited to 140 characters per post, but it has morphed into something more lax. How people use it is another story.
    Then you just don’t know how it works. People are still living like Walter Cronkite is the official newscaster. He. Is dead and thankfully the lie that he was fair and neutral is dead too. News is media. Social media is news and opinion by the people, whether that be the news of your new baby or car, or things of more import like the President falling off a bike or leaks of information that those with a big megaphone don’t want you to know. I guarantee you that in the last few years the news conservatives need to hear was on twitter before anywhere else…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In 2019, there were 17 million cars sold.
    2020- 14.5 million (yes, we all know why)
    2021- 15 million.
    for 2022, the annualized rate using May's numbers is under 13 million (but projections also point to the 15 million range again, depending upon who you listen to).
    Cannot sell what you do not have. Saw a 2018 120k+ mile truck at over $60k. If new were available they could sell them. A contractor friend ordered 6 new trucks, they came back and canceled his order and told him he could order 2 then…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, maybe
    So please consider this simple question; what platform really broke this news, the choices are ESPN.com, ESPN Sports center, or twitter? A reporter hears that xxxx happened, tweets out at 2pm that xxxx has happened, then writes a detailed article about xxxx happened that is posted on ESPN.com at 3pm, xxxx is the lead story on Sports Center at 6pm. To me twitter broke the news. This happens everyday.

I believe many folks just have too restrictive of a definition of news, and the left uses that against conservatives. Before the the leftists took over twitter, conservatives got out news that the MSM did not want out, which is why this thread was started when Musk was potentially going to let that resume.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Might just make it more difficult for Twitter to conspire with other big tech and government to flood the country with ******** propaganda to impact an election?
    Nah man, this guy is also shady, considering his steps in life we would never know what to expect from him

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It's a great hope that he can influence Twitter to actually allow free speech, instead of only allowing one side (the Dem talking point side) in each debate. I certainly don't agree with Mr. Musk about everything, but he certainly believes strongly in free speech.
    Well, the question is what are you actually considering as free speech? It's like "you can say whatever you want as freedom, but nobody says that there would be no consequences" Same here, you might tweet something, but what is the cost for that?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, the question is what are you actually considering as free speech? It's like "you can say whatever you want as freedom, but nobody says that there would be no consequences" Same here, you might tweet something, but what is the cost for that?
    Steps, we did not lose it in one step, we likely will not get it back in one step. Unfortunately it takes imperfect warriors to fight a war that most republicans lack the balls to fight, that is what guys like Musk and Trump are.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Steps, we did not lose it in one step, we likely will not get it back in one step. Unfortunately it takes imperfect warriors to fight a war that most republicans lack the balls to fight, that is what guys like Musk and Trump are.
    I have nothing against Musk, I'm, just saying that looking at his biography and lifestyle I am concerned to trust in what he is doing

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Ask Musk how he feels about the same standard apply to his car.
    Background checks to buy.
    Background checks to be allowed to drive them.
    Common sense speed control (<10 mph) and range (<50 miles)

After all, CARS KILL.
    Yeah, saw meme couple weeks ago where guy was prohibited to charge his tesla because he posted doing something funny at that exact station, would be funny if one day he woke up and realized his Tesla left him and drove itself back to dealer because he joked something about Musk on Twitter

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What do you consider free speech that you think Musk might get wrong? There's always a cost to saying things people find offensive, or controversial. Who gets to decide what is too offensive or controversial? Whoever gets to decide that gets to put their thumb on the scale. Control the conversation. Let the conversation control itself and the rest will sort itself out.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    What do you consider free speech that you think Musk might get wrong? There's always a cost to saying things people find offensive, or controversial. Who gets to decide what is too offensive or controversial? Whoever gets to decide that gets to put their thumb on the scale. Control the conversation. Let the conversation control itself and the rest will sort itself out.
    I'm not Musk, I can't really tell what he won't like, but as you know 100% of free speech is simply impossible, there are as many opinions as how many people live

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of course, Twitter will become much better than now, the question is what exact changes he wants to apply and how they going to affect us
    I listened to the entire leaked Q&A session with Musk and Twitter employees. He said he intends to follow the law. And otherwise, people can say what they want. And something to the effect that people who say offensive things don't have to be amplified.

Of course, he could get hold of Twitter and do the exact opposite. I suspect he'll do what he says, but yeah, the devil is in the details.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not Musk, I can't really tell what he won't like, but as you know 100% of free speech is simply impossible, there are as many opinions as how many people live
    No one said, including Musk, that it's 100% free speech. As I said. He said he'll follow the law, and otherwise, people can say what they want. I'm not sure what he meant by people who are mean don't have to be amplified, or however he said it. Just speculation, but I suspect it might be something similar to how the rules of conduct are here. You can say pretty much what you want here, but you can't personally attack another poster.

The way Twitter operates now, they moderate ideas. It looks to me like you can bully, insult, and hurl as many personal attacks on people as you want, as long as it's on one side.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    People will always buy cars, but how many?

2021- 15 million.
    for 2022, the annualized rate using May's numbers is under 13 million (but projections also point to the 15 million range again, depending upon who you listen to).

This is with a growing population each year meaning that there should always be growth in sales if the same rate of people buy cars.

A couple of things are going on- 1) the left is finally getting what it wants, people are using ride companies (Uber, etc.) and public transportation, 2) the prices are just too high (limited supply has a lot to do with that). Also, maybe people are finally getting the message that even the lowest end car will reliably last over 100,000 miles and most will reliably get to 200,000.

The number of households with two or more cars has increased substantially, from about 20% in 1960 to close to 60% now. We may start seeing that trend reverse. 90% of households have cars, but the number with multiples could drop. (We currently have 5 at the Houghmstead; my daughter's car and 4 owned by my wife and I; 2 older ones used by the younger kids).

It's not good for the auto industry and how many other industries and companies depend upon the auto industry?
    I think the biggest thing going on is a year-long retraction in the demand side of the economy (despite the Fed's insistence that consumer demand continues to increase).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the biggest thing going on is a year-long retraction in the demand side of the economy (despite the Fed's insistence that consumer demand continues to increase).
    I think we can't deny that the supply side has caused problems which allows dealerships to sell cars to the highest bidder. That has really driven inflation in the automotive industry. And that tends to have a high impact on demand. But so does the economic uncertainty. Point is, there are several factors that are generally ****ing up the economy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    People will always buy cars, but how many?

2021- 15 million.

This is with a growing population each year meaning that there should always be growth in sales if the same rate of people buy cars.

A couple of things are going on- 1) the left is finally getting what it wants, people are using ride companies (Uber, etc.) and public transportation, 2) the prices are just too high (limited supply has a lot to do with that). Also, maybe people are finally getting the message that even the lowest end car will reliably last over 100,000 miles and most will reliably get to 200,000.

The number of households with two or more cars has increased substantially, from about 20% in 1960 to close to 60% now. We may start seeing that trend reverse. 90% of households have cars, but the number with multiples could drop. (We currently have 5 at the Houghmstead; my daughter's car and 4 owned by my wife and I; 2 older ones used by the younger kids).

It's not good for the auto industry and how many other industries and companies depend upon the auto industry?

Population is flattening in the US. Contrary to the human-loathing progressives, this is not a good thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

1657254919227.png

Top Bottom