• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Having been an IPD officer for 10 years ( im not anymore ) you are best to inform them you have a gun and a gun permit. Most likely they will ask for your gun and return it moments later with the mag unloaded and tell you to load when they are gone.
    Do you really want to keep your mouth shut and some how surprise the officer by him seeing your concealed weapon? do you enjoy staring down the barrell of a loaded gun? What if the officers training failed and he accidently fired a round in the moment?
    yea go ahead and excersize your rights to carry a gun and keep it a secret during a routine traffic stop. See how long it stays routine.
    Some people amaze me with stupidity.

Surely you must be friends with this guy.

I welcome the multitude of opinions and there is nothing wrong with a little controversy. I respect this and appreciate that I can enjoy the freedom of it. I guess it is an individual decision if you carry open or concealed. There are pros and cons and everybody decides by weighing it.
    I am fortunate to see both sides, as a citizen with the need to protect myself and my loved ones and also as a police officer who doesn't know you but can clearly see that you are armed. The questions is, how are we dealing with the situation. As long as I don't feel threatend by the fact that you carry openly and your actions don't create a situation that I would see as a tnreat, we should be able to get along pretty good. But keep in mind, that I switch gears the moment you are becoming confrontational just for the heck of it and because you don't like cops. If that is actually your problem then I would suggest that next time you are in desperate need of help, just call your local crackhead and leave me alone.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Note the wording on the law carefully. It says the endorsement must be shown to the officer if the officer asks about it. It says nothing about telling the officer that you have a gun with you. If the officer specifically says, do you have a gun (firearm) then it appears that you don't have to say a word or show anything.

YUP, I believe we are in agreement. NO DUTY TO INFORM. The officer is enforcing a made up rule, and ignoring the actual law.

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    think i posted this before. the last time i was pulled over in my city they officer took my hand gun apart the mag apart and placed all the parts and munition in to a bag and when all was done he handed the bag to me and told me not to assemble till i get home. btw this was about 10 years ago not sure what they do now i don't tent to speed as much as i did back then.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    think i posted this before. the last time i was pulled over in my city they officer took my hand gun apart the mag apart and placed all the parts and munition in to a bag and when all was done he handed the bag to me and told me not to assemble till i get home. btw this was about 10 years ago not sure what they do now i don't tent to speed as much as i did back then.

WTF? The state says you can carry it assembled and loaded. The officer says you have to go home and assemble/load it at home but remain unarmed until you get there. That is, simply put, bullcrap.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Did you have a valid LTCH? If so the confiscation is questionable, legally speaking, and telling you when you can reassemble a legally owned and carried firearm is definitely not within their scope of authority..

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Having been an IPD officer for 10 years ( im not anymore ) you are best to inform them you have a gun and a gun permit. Most likely they will ask for your gun and return it moments later with the mag unloaded and tell you to load when they are gone.
    Do you really want to keep your mouth shut and some how surprise the officer by him seeing your concealed weapon? do you enjoy staring down the barrell of a loaded gun? What if the officers training failed and he accidently fired a round in the moment?
    yea go ahead and excersize your rights to carry a gun and keep it a secret during a routine traffic stop. See how long it stays routine.

we've all seen the ohio cruiser vid.
    what we're basically discussing here, is an armed person vs an armed person. each knows they are armed. the CCW knows the LEO is armed, the LEO doesn't know the CCW is.
    now, legal rights not withstanding, whats likely to happen? whats the worst that can occur from have your weapon taken away. i go home and get another, and spend months getting the first one back. the situation brewing is basically a mexican stand off. if you pull your legally owned CCW on a cop, and you're shot, he's right. if you get off the first round, and he goes down, he's right. our rights be damned, if some **** goes down during a confrontation like the ohio vid, two things would have happened.
    A - the CCW got the needle as a cop killer
    B - the cop got fired for a bad shoot, and you're still dead.

i gotta tell ya guys, i'll be the first to defend myself when the UN marches down my door, but in a F2F confrontation versus one guy that has legal authority, i'm gonna play nice. i'm willing to give my life against a horde of Gestapo. against a single dickweed with a badge, not so much.

Yes, really, I do.

I've had IMPD take one of my pistols off me and look at it like an ape from 2001 as he flagged soccer moms and Broad Ripple bikers.

I respect your honesty in admitting that this happens, too frequently and we talk about it here.

1. I would hope the officer would not point the gun at me, but that happened too as he looked at it like a thigh bone.

2. How about we train the officers not to do that stupid crap like coonfingering guns on the roadside or in Broad Ripple like some low gun skill pudknocker?

Don't ask, don't tell, don't get your own gun pointed at you.

I agree!
    One of my guns was forcibly taken from me and thrown on top of my van after "flagging" my wife and me!
    The genius thought he was so much safer, but he didn't even consider the BUG I had on me, the 5-6 handguns in my range bag and the rifle within reach when he turned his back on me and went back to his car to write my ticket.

Because of that incident, I will NEVER inform another officer of my carry status.
    It is not to "disrespect" the officer, but to avoid having MY OWN gun pointed at me!

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    WTF? The state says you can carry it assembled and loaded. The officer says you have to go home and assemble/load it at home but remain unarmed until you get there. That is, simply put, bullcrap.

Police lie. In other news, water is wet. News at eleven.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Sure, that's why I bought it FTF because I want the serial number associated to my name at every possible opportunity!

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Yeah, they try this all the time....blow kisses at them and ask for a supervisor or state police officer immediately. In fact, INSIST on it.

State police officers have no special authority over county and local officers. But given my experience during my almost 30 years of driving, if you are concerned that your local or county officer isn't being enough of a douche, a request for a trooper might be in order.

:):

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    It sounds like the stuff you see on TV ,'Cops', when in Boston, Jersey, NY, etc, not the farmlands of Ind.

Another question, does it happen when you expalin your rights to the LEO? Resaon for the question is my step brother and I would get in trouble an dhe would educate the LEO's while I just said yessir, nosir. I always went home, he almost always went to jail.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    State police officers have no special authority over county and local officers. But given my experience during my almost 30 years of driving, if you are concerned that your local or county officer isn't being enough of a douche, a request for a trooper might be in order.

:):
    I've found the state officers to be FAR better educated in the gun laws...

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne

What amazes me is cops who do not enforce the law, rather break it themselves... especially the Constitution.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Having been an IPD officer for 10 years ( im not anymore ) you are best to inform them you have a gun and a gun permit.
    Why should anyone have to tell anyone that there's an inanimate object in the car? Should I also tell them that I'm carrying a pocket knife? A lighter? A GPS unit? These objects are all inanimate objects that won't hurt someone when they're not coonfingered.
    Most likely they will ask for your gun
    Can I ask them for their gun too? You know, for my safety. How would YOU personally react if you pulled someone over, asked for their gun, and they told you no? Just curious.
    and return it moments later with the mag unloaded and tell you to load when they are gone.
    Then when they give me mine back, they can have theirs back. Same condition.
    Do you really want to keep your mouth shut and some how surprise the officer by him seeing your concealed weapon?
    Yeah, I'll take my chances. I doubt they'll be surprised seeing a gun in a car. Especially, since it now pops up in the system that I have a LTCH when they run my license.
    do you enjoy staring down the barrell of a loaded gun?
    Why would they draw their gun? Are all cops as afraid of guns as you apparently are? Does ILEA train that into you guys? Does the department issue that when they issue you your firearms?
    What if the officers training failed and he accidently fired a round in the moment?
    My family will be well taken care of. A ND by an officer for a non-hostile traffic stop never looks good.
    yea go ahead and excersize your rights to carry a gun and keep it a secret during a routine traffic stop.
    :yesway:Thanks. Glad I got your permission.
    See how long it stays routine.
    The entire time? As a matter of fact, I was pulled over a week or two ago, they ran my license and no guns were ever mentioned. Didn't even ask if there was one in the car.
    I agree. People with a superiority complex are usually the ones who amaze me with their stupidity.

By the way, :welcome: to :ingo:!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Karatejoe, I thought the police were supposed to ENFORCE the law. I must have been mistaken.

And why would you feel safe checking a gun out, when there is another on the ankle, one in the center console, one in the glove compt., and one in the trunk. Not including the 2 knives on me.

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    Did you have a valid LTCH? If so the confiscation is questionable, legally speaking, and telling you when you can reassemble a legally owned and carried firearm is definitely not within their scope of authority..

yup i have had my ltch since i was 21

Top Bottom