• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I've had one pull my pistol off of me from the drivers door opening while it was holstered on my right hip. He didn't ask anything about it, such as model, safeties, IS IT LOADED, etc. He just fumbled his hand around until he found it, then drew it out and over my lap. Swept with my own pistol. So I am needless to say, in favor of leaving it safely holstered where it belongs.

I thought that we had no way to combat such behavior, since this power is left to officer discretion?

An officer can only take a concealed handgun that he knows about. If he doesn't ask, don't tell. If he does ask, ignore the question or tell him you have nothing illegal in the car.

In an open carry state such as Indiana there's not much you can do about officer illegal behavioiur in taking the gun except complain afterwards.

and any open carrier who doesn't also carry a small video camera with him at all times is just a victim waiting to happen.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Is this just an Indiana thing? :dunno:
    In Va. when with LEO's for whatever reason, I 'declare' and the only issues that arise are "What are you carrying?" "Are you planning on shooting me/us?" "A 6906?? WoW, can I see it?" Once in a wile, I'll be asked if I have a permit. Much rarer is the need to even show the permit.
    Once when in a police car after an accident, the LEO requested it and he laid it on the dash, still in C1, or C0, which ever it's called. When we finished, he just handed it back to me.:) Several others never even requested it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Perhaps they are viewed as impartial since they aren't from the same department?:dunno:

Hmmm, I understand calling a supervisor...that's cool. A supervisor can ORDER the stopping officer to give the gun back immediately, etc. A Trooper will show up and there is NOTHING they can do other than give advise. I would say that I would ask for a supervisor to the scene.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    From the article
    and that I am going to place your firearm in the back seat and the magazine a few feet away from it.
    FREE SEARCH WITHOUT A WARRANT anyone?
    Cops should be treated like vampires, don't invite them in for any reason.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    It is an all over thing. Do you want some Virginia incidents?

Well, I mentioned a few of my interactions with PD. Many were in other towns and counties in the state. Could it just be my smiling face?

Here's another. I became exposed while eating at a resturant one day. A lady crossed the room and pointed me out to three LEO's at a nearby table.
    After bending there heads around and studying me, they told her it looked like I had a S&W on me and it was a good gun, so she shouldn't worry about it. They went back to eating. This the typical reaction I'm used to.

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Well, I mentioned a few of my interactions with PD. Many were in other towns and counties in the state. Could it just be my smiling face?

Here's another. I became exposed while eating at a resturant one day. A lady crossed the room and pointed me out to three LEO's at a nearby table.
    After bending there heads around andd studying me, they told her it looked like I had a S&W on me and it was a good gun, so she shouldn't worry about it. They went back to eating. This the typical reaction I'm used to.

Hmmm ... exposing yourself to a lady in a restaurant with cops present? Frank, you do live life on the wild side ... :D

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    This is one 'cop thing' that I'll never get. Why in the hell would you want a weapon out (and for lack of a better phrase) and in play during a traffic stop? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or, more appropriately, if the trigger ain't exposed, don't expose it.

picture.php

My thoughts exactly.

In addition, I see the following possibilities when someone is pulled over:
    1) The person is law-abiding and has no intention of shooting the officer. Asking about / confiscating the firearm accomplishes nothing, and as mentioned previously, could end badly if the firearm is mishandled.

2) The person is otherwise law-abiding, but could be angry and might shoot the officer. Asking about a firearm is unlikely to elicit an honest response.

3) The person is not law-abiding (warrants, carrying illegally, etc.). Does anyone think they will answer truthfully?

I'm just glad it's not my job to meet random people at the side of the road, and thanks to the folks who do that job.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    It's not an IC, it's your 5th Amendment right. Don't answer, or make a statement other then answering (I have nothing illegal.) is legal although I would guess it could **** the cop off and might end in more trouble then just answering.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    really i thought you were obligated to tell him if he asked you if you have weapons. does the IC say anything about this?

The IC says nothing which means you don't.

A few years back, my wife and I were walking in our neighborhood at three in the morning. I had just gotten off work, so this was actually normal for us. As we are walking, a police officer pulls up.

Officer: what are you doing?
    Me (without missing a step): walking
    Officer: where are you going?
    Me (pointing in front of me): that way.
    Officer: where are you coming from?
    Me (pointing behind me): that way.
    Officer: where do you live?
    Me (pointing behind me again): that way.
    Officer: Uh, ok. And she drove off.

At no point, did I stop walking. Do you, for a second, think the answers I gave was what she was looking for? No, but she had no probable cause and couldn't require me to answer her.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    cops routinely ask questions looking for a bigger bust than a traffic citation. "do you have and drugs, can i search your vehicle" etc, are examples of a Terry stop. you are not obligated to allow search of anything, but they're often very persuasive. as i understand, Indiana does not have a requirement to declare. (i think?)

that all said, i've not ever been stopped whilst carrying. i'd suppose its at least courteous to declare, and that my friends, in reality, gets you farther than your rights. hell, i've declared a pocket knife before.

Top Bottom