• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Poor Deputy Mike... about 50 comments on his essay at the site and not a single agreement. That must have gobsmacked him.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    He, and officers like him, are the specific reason I don't disclose jack squat.

I have better things to do than sit there and reload mags after I've been stopped.

Plus, I don't need some jackanape who thinks he's the only one professional enough to handle a 1911 handling my 1911. I don't care if some idiot shoots HIMSELF in the leg, but I don't want him to do it with MY pistol. I'd probably never see it again.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    After reading this article, I am so glad that Indiana does not put a LTCH endorsement on our drivers license.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but many departments (if not most of them, by now) pull that info up when they run your license. Same thing as an endorsement, just takes them a few seconds longer.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Hate to burst your bubble, but many departments (if not most of them, by now) pull that info up when they run your license. Same thing as an endorsement, just takes them a few seconds longer.

I know but hopefully after the Leo runs my information I will get a warning/citation and sent on my way. There should be no reason to disarm me when the stop is technically over.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I always have a spare loaded mag / speed loader stashed within reach just in case, I hate not being prepared.

Me too. But that isn't the point. I'm sitting there with a handful of bullets and an empty mag. Sure the gun's loaded quickly enough but I still have to reload that mag.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Me too. But that isn't the point. I'm sitting there with a handful of bullets and an empty mag. Sure the gun's loaded quickly enough but I still have to reload that mag.

I understand, but I like to chamber a round and reholster before the Officer gets back to their car.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I believe this would be one of those times where you refuse to accept the weapon and require him to take custody of it while providing you a receipt.

"Sorry, officer, I relinquished to you a functional, loaded, Glock Model 23. What you are holding is not the item I gave you. Understandably, I cannot take what you are offering, please provide a receipt so I may pick up my weapon and ammunition from the property room downtown at my earliest convenience."

I agree. I know some would not even think about letting that happen but think of the extra paper work and explaining he would have to do when he got back to the station. He couldn't (shouldn't ) keep it with him the whole shift.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I know but hopefully after the Leo runs my information I will get a warning/citation and sent on my way. There should be no reason to disarm me when the stop is technically over.
    IMO the point is neither of the above but rather that since...
    ...I'd rather they not record the serial number too.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    Left this.....

Mike sez: That being said if I find out you have a CCW from dispatch or some other way I will not be very happy when I do ask you and find out that you are carrying a weapon. It is ALWAYS best to be straight forward about having a weapon.

And when you do find out and it is not mandatory for me to tell you in the first place what are you going to do? I havn't broken any laws but I am sorry you're not happy today.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Left this.....

Mike sez: That being said if I find out you have a CCW from dispatch or some other way I will not be very happy when I do ask you and find out that you are carrying a weapon. It is ALWAYS best to be straight forward about having a weapon.

And when you do find out and it is not mandatory for me to tell you in the first place what are you going to do? I havn't broken any laws but I am sorry you're not happy today.
    Blow kisses;).

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I've been pulled over recently, and I have my routine for when I do:

pull shade back on sunroof (turn on dome light if at night)
    roll down my window completely
    grab license/registration/insurance and place in lap
    place both hands on the wheel in at 11 & 1

when LEO walks up and asks for it I pass out my paperwork and say, "Just so you know, I have a weapon in the car". Both times I've been pulled over they've asked where it is and if I have a LTCH and have both thanked me for making them aware.

...they also both proceeded to give me my speeding ticket shortly thereafter.

I've had my issues with LEO in the past just like everyone else, but I don't understand some peoples desire to be so abrasive/standoffish concerning their CC/OC. All I know, is there's another human being doing their job, walking up to me that also has a gun, and he's the last person I want to surprise. Just my 2 pennies.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I've been pulled over recently, and I have my routine for when I do:

pull shade back on sunroof (turn on dome light if at night)
    roll down my window completely
    grab license/registration/insurance and place in lap
    place both hands on the wheel in at 11 & 1

when LEO walks up and asks for it I pass out my paperwork and say, "Just so you know, I have a weapon in the car". Both times I've been pulled over they've asked where it is and if I have a LTCH and have both thanked me for making them aware.

...they also both proceeded to give me my speeding ticket shortly thereafter.

I've had my issues with LEO in the past just like everyone else, but I don't understand some peoples desire to be so abrasive/standoffish concerning their CC/OC. All I know, is there's another human being doing their job, walking up to me that also has a gun, and he's the last person I want to surprise. Just my 2 pennies.

:koolaid:Baaaaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hey this is ALMOST as fun as an OC/CC debate!!! :laugh:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had it happen to me when I was pulled over for speeding my a Boone County Deputy a few years ago.

NO, I don't think he had the legal power to do it.
    But saying "No" and resisting out in the middle of BFE wasn't the time or place to make a stand.

This issue will likely take lawsuits to ever change.

Top Bottom