• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Well, I mentioned a few of my interactions with PD. Many were in other towns and counties in the state. Could it just be my smiling face?

Here's another. I became exposed while eating at a resturant one day. A lady crossed the room and pointed me out to three LEO's at a nearby table.
    After bending there heads around and studying me, they told her it looked like I had a S&W on me and it was a good gun, so she shouldn't worry about it. They went back to eating. This the typical reaction I'm used to.

lol fantastic

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    This from Utah,

"An excerpt, "If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.
    If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer may assume you are carrying the gun illegally and may take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is recommended to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen."
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html#2

I think this explains my attitude toward PD. Never had any issues either. ( 9 out of 10 don't even bother checking my permit after the declaration and hardly even give me a glance it I'm walking around in the area.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Many people confuse the written word of human laws with how the law and law enforcement work in reality. They are NOT the same.

And why do you think LEOs should be allowed to make up their own laws on the spot in contravention of written law?

I listened to a youtube audio the other day where a LEO accosted an OCer waiting outside the DMV by his car for his wife. The OCer was legal and minding his own business, but the LEO cited him for "brandishing" and berated him as one of those "open carriers" who "knew their rights", etc. He then stated if the OCer did not cover his weapon he would arrest him and put him in jail.

Yeah, I'm real impressed by how LEOs make up their own laws.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Well, I only read part of this, but I have an opinion about it. Being a cop may in fact be a very dangerous job, but it's a part of the job. Every cop knew that from the start. So he takes away something that you possess legally just so he can feel all warm and cozy about it? What's next? Will he take away your phone because he is afraid that you will text and drive? How about a Marine that won't go into a hot area until there are no threats? Or a fire fighter that won't leave the firehouse if something is on fire? Sure, it's dangerous, but it's the JOB!!!!!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, I only read part of this, but I have an opinion about it. Being a cop may in fact be a very dangerous job, but it's a part of the job. Every cop knew that from the start. So he takes away something that you possess legally just so he can feel all warm and cozy about it? What's next? Will he take away your phone because he is afraid that you will text and drive? How about a Marine that won't go into a hot area until there are no threats? Or a fire fighter that won't leave the firehouse if something is on fire? Sure, it's dangerous, but it's the JOB!!!!!

Nice plane! ;)

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I have had interactions with lots of legally armed citizens during my 19 years as an LEO. The vast majority of these interactions have been positive and respectful. I have unfortunately also seen some really stupid things done by legally armed citizens. The only times that I have taken control of a firearm from a licensed CCDW carrier was when I believed there is/or may be a legitimate possibility of trouble (usually because of the demeanor or actions of the citizen) or if there was a possibility of an arrest or extended detention for investigation.
    I always appreciate it when a CCDW holder informs me they are armed. Once I have been informed I will ask a few questions about where the firearm is and set a few simple ground rules for both our safety but as long as they are legal and act in a courteous and respectful manner I have no problems with armed citizens and will reciprocate the courtousy and respect.
    Bottom line is that in any interaction between LEO's and legally armed citizens everyone needs to use good judgement and throw in a large helping of courtesy and respect.
    :twocents:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I have had interactions with lots of legally armed citizens during my 19 years as an LEO. The vast majority of these interactions have been positive and respectful. I have unfortunately also seen some really stupid things done by legally armed citizens. The only times that I have taken control of a firearm from a licensed CCDW carrier was when I believed there is/or may be a legitimate possibility of trouble (usually because of the demeanor or actions of the citizen) or if there was a possibility of an arrest or extended detention for investigation.
    I always appreciate it when a CCDW holder informs me they are armed. Once I have been informed I will ask a few questions about where the firearm is and set a few simple ground rules for both our safety but as long as they are legal and act in a courteous and respectful manner I have no problems with armed citizens and will reciprocate the courtousy and respect.
    Bottom line is that in any interaction between LEO's and legally armed citizens everyone needs to use good judgement and throw in a large helping of courtesy and respect.

LW, you sound like an exemplary, stand up guy who is a role model for other leos. However, the problem is that we never know who is approaching our car door, a "latewatch type of cop" or a type that was in the OP. I wish you guys wore "good guy badges" and "bad guy badges" so we could tell the difference and react accordingly ourselves. :)

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Good for you!

And what is CCDW?

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    LW, you sound like an exemplary, stand up guy who is a role model for other leos. However, the problem is that we never know who is approaching our car door, a "latewatch type of cop" or a type that was in the OP. I wish you guys wore "good guy badges" and "bad guy badges" so we could tell the difference and react accordingly ourselves. :)

Jack when you guys start wearing good guy/bad guy signs so will we.....LOL

:ar15:
    Good for you!

And what is CCDW?

Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon, it's a Kentucky thing........

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This from Utah,

"An excerpt, "If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

In Oklahoma, it is required.

TITLE 21 § 1290.8 (C) It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.

Any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. In addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this subsection, the licensee shall be subject to a six-month suspension of the license and an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Bureau that the person is in violation of the provisions of this subsection.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2011.pdf

I don't know if the SDA covers reciprocity in a way that makes it a requirement for out-of-staters, but that might be worth looking into if you ever come to visit.

Then there's this interesting bit:

TITLE 21 § 1290.8 (E) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Only had this done to me once. Officer took my USP back to his car, "ran a check" for about 35 minutes (no exagguration), and brought it back. He put the magazine (loaded) on my front seat, and the USP on the backseat. He still gave me a citation for 15 over.

Other than that one time, all other officers have been pretty nice about it, they've never had me remove it or give it to them, and most of them thank me for letting them know about it (if I let them know for some reason, such as reaching for my wallet)

You must get stopped a lot. I have lived in Indiana now for 9 1/2 years, and have yet to be stopped. And that includes OCing while riding my motorcycle.

Top Bottom