• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Here’s a twist. Jesus never said remember my birth, he said remember my death. Jesus never called Mary his mother. He called her “woman.” And when people praised her and she wanted to see Him. Jesus said who is my mother? All who come after me is my mother and my brothers……there no place for Mary worship. And at death he said to John, behold your mother. And to his mother, woman, behold your son. (John).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Here’s a twist. Jesus never said remember my birth, he said remember my death. Jesus never called Mary his mother. He called her “woman.” And when people praised her and she wanted to see Him. Jesus said who is my mother? All who come after me is my mother and my brothers……there no place for Mary worship. And at death he said to John, behold your mother. And to his mother, woman, behold your son. (John).
    Your underlying premise is EVERYTHING Jesus said is in the Bible.

I would reject that premise.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What is the origin of these terms?
    There are likely several meanings, and thus origins, of those terms. My use here is that general revelation is the Bible: God revealing Himself through Scripture in a way that is applicable to all mankind; whereas specific (or special) revelation is God revealing Himself in a way that is applicable to a specific person or group (e.g. dreams, visions, "words", tongues w/interpretation, etc.)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There are likely several meanings, and thus origins, of those terms. My use here is that general revelation is the Bible: God revealing Himself through Scripture in a way that is applicable to all mankind; whereas specific (or special) revelation is God revealing Himself in a way that is applicable to a specific person or group (e.g. dreams, visions, "words", tongues w/interpretation, etc.)
    I think I understand what you mean by those terms, but I would like to know where you learned them from or first heard them simply from a curiosity standpoint. I have probably heard them at one point or another and forgotten. Your response was one of conviction so i thought perhaps you knew the history of the terms better. My google foo did turn up the term Special Revelation with General Revelation when I searched for Specific.

It brought up some questions, again from a curiosity standpoint that I couldn't figure out using only those two terms as a dichotomy. So then I thought well there must be more than Special and General categories applied and if I knew the history of the terms, I might be able to better understand their use.

Do you use them as a dichotomy or are there other categories? What are some of the other categories if so that you would use?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think I understand what you mean by those terms, but I would like to know where you learned them from or first heard them simply from a curiosity standpoint. I have probably heard them at one point or another and forgotten. Your response was one of conviction so i thought perhaps you knew the history of the terms better. My google foo did turn up the term Special Revelation with General Revelation when I searched for Specific.

It brought up some questions, again from a curiosity standpoint that I couldn't figure out using only those two terms as a dichotomy. So then I thought well there must be more than Special and General categories applied and if I knew the history of the terms, I might be able to better understand their use.

Do you use them as a dichotomy or are there other categories? What are some of the other categories if so that you would use?
    It's part of the teaching of the independent Christian church movement - part of the non-essentials ("In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.") I don't know the specific origin, beyond that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's part of the teaching of the independent Christian church movement - part of the non-essentials ("In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.") I don't know the specific origin, beyond that.
    I thought they arose with systematic theology.

However, I don't see those terms in the index of Wayne Grudem's book of that name.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can't tell if you're denying the virgin birth or just the veneration of Mary.

I'll agree on the latter, but not on the former.

As to celebrating Christmas, it's certainly a storied path to arrive where we are today.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I thought they arose with systematic theology.

However, I don't see those terms in the index of Wayne Grudem's book of that name.
    It sounded Roman. I was going with Aquinas but no luck. It certainly feels scholastic in origin

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Here’s a twist. Jesus never said remember my birth, he said remember my death. Jesus never called Mary his mother. He called her “woman.”
    This is the part I must not be understanding. I agree no one should worship Mary.

Are you saying that there is no instance of Jesus saying "remember my birth" or calling Mary mother in scripture or are you saying he never did those things at all?

Top Bottom