• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Any advice for someone just now getting into guns? Specifically advice for carrying and safety. Thanks!
    As other posters have said, safety is paramount. A single mistake is all it takes to end a life, so take your time. My father started teaching me basic firearm safety around 5, followed by weapons handling and dry fire practice. I was 8 before I ever fired a live round.

That said, I’m going to jump ahead and touch on what to do when you’re ready to purchase and carry a gun. First off, don’t count on a gun store employee to make the right decision for you. Generally speaking, their goal is to make a sale and many won’t think twice about giving bad advice if it gets you to open your wallet. Do your research and have an idea of what you’re looking for before you go in the shop.

Secondly, don’t shop on a tight budget. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Spend the extra 3 or $400 for a higher quality firearm that will hold up to training and function properly if you need it. Remember, you’ll only ever (legally) have to use that gun in a life or death situation, so the gun shop isn’t the place to skimp.

Third, train on practical drills with your carry weapon as often as possible. You want to get to the point where operation of that firearm is muscle memory, because fractions of a second count in a self-defense situation. And by practical drills, I mean real life scenarios (e.g. front sight acquisition, shooting from the hip, weak hand unsupported, double taps, etc.) If you go to a range, you’ll usually see people shooting slowly at the bullseye with their arms fully extended. That isn’t realistic. Most shootings occur within a distance of 15 feet and the assailant isn’t going to wait for you to get in your stance, line up your sights, and squeeze off rounds one at a time. Your goal in a close quarters encounter is to put as many rounds on target as quickly as possible.

Finally, with regards to carrying, my advice is to hold off until you’re proficient with the weapon. Otherwise, you’re a danger to yourself and others. Once you’re proficient, get a good belt/holster and practice your draw regularly. It also helps to build your wardrobe in a way that makes accessing your weapon easier. For example, I live in a state that only allows concealed carry, so I wear t-shirts one size up. This allows me to easily move the shirt with my support hand or the thumb on my strong hand.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Whatever you practice becomes your default, In high-stress situations, or just careless moments, you`ll resort back to your default.
    Keep in mind that most individuals (law enforcement included) in times of high distress, resort to a 'natural' or default defensive position type shooting...so learn to shoot in a 'neutral' and 'natural' position (isosceles stance) vs a weaver stance, which is better used for target shooting and accuracy!
    There are several videos out there that demonstrate the difference and proper technique for each stance...just keep in mind that the Iscosceles Stance allows for better rotation (up to 90 degrees in either direction without moving the feet) vs the Weaver Stance which has a much lower radius of rotation, without moving the feet. That being said, and while stance and balance are important, be sure to "Get off the 'X'" in any shooting situation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom