• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    First and foremost, learn the 4 rules and follow them. Always. https://www.nssf.org/articles/4-primary-rules-of-firearm-safety/

Have some safe method of storing the weapon in your home when you're not carrying it. Something to prevent access by any kids or other unauthorized persons like a safe or gun lock is ideal. They make a lot of quick-access options these days that will enable you to get to it quickly if you need it, while still keeping unwanted hands off of it.

Take some time and learn your gun. Read the manual, learn how to take it apart and how it functions. Youtube is good for this. This will go along way towards making you confident in how to operate it safely and effectively.

Read up on the law and understand when and under what circumstances you are allowed to carry or utilize a weapon.

Once you are comfortable with safe handling practices and the function of your gun, you can start working dry-fire practice (I'd recommend getting some "dummy rounds" or "snap caps" for this, and always double and triple check the weapon to make sure it's unloaded, and keep any live ammo away from your work area when doing this). Your goal is to be able to press the trigger through the break without moving your sights off target.

Buy a quality holster. Something designed specifically for your gun that retains it, even if you turn it upside down and shake it. It should completely cover the trigger guard, and be rigid enough to prevent the trigger from being pushed or bumped by anything outside the holster. Those flimsy nylon sleeve holsters are junk and should be avoided. Quality leather or kydex is the way to go. A good heavy belt will assist greatly with supporting a heavier gun, make it easier to conceal, and much more comfortable to carry. I like mine from www.thebeltman.net, but there are lots of good choices out there.

Buy quality gear up front (buy once, cry once!), but don't get sucked into spending all your money on fancy gadgets and accessories that you don't really need. Once you have the basics covered, your time and money is best spent on instruction, range time, and ammo to get proficient with what you've got...especially at the beginning. Once you've got that down, then you can bankrupt yourself and starve your family by spending half your paycheck at the LGS, Midway, and Brownells :laugh: .

And yeah, if you can, take a class. If you can't, find somebody local who is more experienced than yourself and get them to mentor you. Older guys in particular have a ton of knowledge to share, and I'm blessed to have access to a bunch of shooting buddies who are over twice my age.

And read. You will gain a lot of knowledge by just reading this board and others. And if you have specific questions, ask. Somebody will be along eventually to answer them. As a whole, the gun community tends to be very welcoming and willing to help, in my experience.

There's a lot more than that, but this is the most I could come up with at 4:30am off the top of my head for such a broad topic, lol. If you have more specific questions, post them up and I'm sure folks will do their best to help you out.

Lpherr

Occupied
    First and foremost, learn the 4 rules and follow them. Always. https://www.nssf.org/articles/4-primary-rules-of-firearm-safety/

Have some safe method of storing the weapon in your home when you're not carrying it. Something to prevent access by any kids or other unauthorized persons like a safe or gun lock is ideal. They make a lot of quick-access options these days that will enable you to get to it quickly if you need it, while still keeping unwanted hands off of it.

Take some time and learn your gun. Read the manual, learn how to take it apart and how it functions. Youtube is good for this. This will go along way towards making you confident in how to operate it safely and effectively.

Read up on the law and understand when and under what circumstances you are allowed to carry or utilize a weapon.

Once you are comfortable with safe handling practices and the function of your gun, you can start working dry-fire practice (I'd recommend getting some "dummy rounds" or "snap caps" for this, and always double and triple check the weapon to make sure it's unloaded, and keep any live ammo away from your work area when doing this). Your goal is to be able to press the trigger through the break without moving your sights off target.

Buy a quality holster. Something designed specifically for your gun that retains it, even if you turn it upside down and shake it. It should completely cover the trigger guard, and be rigid enough to prevent the trigger from being pushed or bumped by anything outside the holster. Those flimsy nylon sleeve holsters are junk and should be avoided. Quality leather or kydex is the way to go. A good heavy belt will assist greatly with supporting a heavier gun, make it easier to conceal, and much more comfortable to carry. I like mine from www.thebeltman.net, but there are lots of good choices out there.

Buy quality gear up front (buy once, cry once!), but don't get sucked into spending all your money on fancy gadgets and accessories that you don't really need. Once you have the basics covered, your time and money is best spent on instruction, range time, and ammo to get proficient with what you've got...especially at the beginning. Once you've got that down, then you can bankrupt yourself and starve your family by spending half your paycheck at the LGS, Midway, and Brownells :laugh: .

And yeah, if you can, take a class. If you can't, find somebody local who is more experienced than yourself and get them to mentor you. Older guys in particular have a ton of knowledge to share, and I'm blessed to have access to a bunch of shooting buddies who are over twice my age.

And read. You will gain a lot of knowledge by just reading this board and others. And if you have specific questions, ask. Somebody will be along eventually to answer them. As a whole, the gun community tends to be very welcoming and willing to help, in my experience.

There's a lot more than that, but this is the most I could come up with at 4:30am off the top of my head for such a broad topic, lol. If you have more specific questions, post them up and I'm sure folks will do their best to help you out.
    I second the Beltman. He even has seconds, or returns for a discounted price. Sign up for his email specials too.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Any advice for someone just now getting into guns? Specifically advice for carrying and safety. Thanks!
    Training course would do you a lot of good.
    These guys are in Huntington.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If you`re going to carry, think about what that means. Really think about what that means. As best as you can, determine whether you`ll really have the will and courage to use that weapon if forced into that situation. Learn and know what situations are lawful for the use of lethal force, then, be certain you`ll be able to follow-thru should it ever come to that. Also, learn to be aware enough that you don`t even allow yourself to "get" into a lethal force situation. Learn what places to avoid, learn what the best, safest times are to be at the places you can`t avoid being at. Do anything and everything you can to avoid ever needing to use that weapon. It`s been said, the only gunfight you win is the one you never get into.

There`s a little book I would recommend you read: Principles of Personal Defense, by Jeff Cooper.

Good luck, and welcome to the fraternity.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I think Concealed Carry Magazine is a great resource for someone who likes to read. Put out by the USCCA, a great organization whose focus on safety and legal issues can really get a person tuned into healthy gun culture.

I think they lean toward the safety ninny side of the scale concerning use of force and castle doctrine type things, but they are selling insurance so are motivated to minimize claims.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Beware the man with one gun; He probably knows how to use it.

If you don't have a basement, fill a plastic bucket with playground sand and point your gun into it while loading and unloading. If you have a basement, fill a plastic bucket with playground sand and point your gun into it while loading and unloading.

Purchase a gun vault with guick access by numbers/touch and key to store your gun.

Carry is a difficult thing to figure. In addition to holsters, consider concealed carry pants/shorts, ccwbreakaways, using their skintight holster.

Anything bigger than a Sig Sauer P365 is difficult to conceal without printing.

If you go the holster route, consider Spencer Keepers, Keepers Concealment. This man knows how to conceal firearms.

If possible, rent a lot of guns to select your first firearm. Watch a lot of youtube videos concerning safety, shooting, and firearm reviews. Give DA/SA a serious consideration.

Today's market is plentiful with good quality guns.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

If you don't have a basement, fill a plastic bucket with playground sand and point your gun into it while loading and unloading. If you have a basement, fill a plastic bucket with playground sand and point your gun into it while loading and unloading.

Purchase a gun vault with guick access by numbers/touch and key to store your gun.

Carry is a difficult thing to figure. In addition to holsters, consider concealed carry pants/shorts, ccwbreakaways, using their skintight holster.

If you go the holster route, consider Spencer Keepers, Keepers Concealment. This man knows how to conceal firearms.

If possible, rent a lot of guns to select your first firearm. Watch a lot of youtube videos concerning safety, shooting, and firearm reviews. Give DA/SA a serious consideration.

I would take exception to your statement that anything bigger than a P365 is hard to conceal. This completely depends on body type, mass, shape, method of carry, etc. Many start small and work their way up; I’m carrying a full size appendix now.
    It is also worth noting here for the OP that Indiana is not a concealed carry state, your permit is to carry, and therefore if your gun shows it’s not any kind of offense like in some states.

Just curious, have you had an ND loading/unloading? Not faulting you for the sand at all, most just wouldn’t bother. I personally don’t unload that much.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I just conceal carried at church tonight. A 5" 1911 10mm with spare magazine.

It depends on the person and the training.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    A formal training class is a good place to start, no argument there. They are usually one and done events though. So my advice is to join a local gun club and sign up to shoot at regular club events such as IDPA matches or USPSA matches. Both are good handgun practice, including drawing from a holster, with IDPA being more self defense oriented. Don't be intimidated by the term 'matches' here though. Most club 'matches' are just fun get togethers with fellow enthusiasts. Let um know you're learning and the SO's (safety officers) at the events will guide you through safely. Loads of fun and the repeat exposure will build skills and confidence. Ask at your local gun stores about what local clubs are good to join. In some cases the store employees may be club members & also shoot at the club events. Welcome to INGO.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Where would i look to find these classes?

I can't speak highly enough of this group. I've taken several classes, both pistol and rifle. As has my wife and her closest friend and they were new at the game as well. Phenomenal group oriented on safety and marksmanship from beginning to advanced.

Top Bottom