• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some of you may recall I have mentioned an uncle who is institutionalize do to developmental/neurological issues. My mom (his sister) got a call last night around 8pm that there had been an "accident." Turns out he didn't show up at the nurse's office to get his meds (he never forgets to do this) so they went looking for him. He his high-functioning and has a large degree of autonomy in the campus. He also has "his" shed where he tinkers on stuff. He was found on the shed floor, unresponsive but breathing. He was rushed to the hospital.

So far results show no massive heart attack but some evidence for a small event, no bleeding in the brain but they can't rule out a stroke until he wakes; his carbon monoxide levels in the blood were 4 times normal (but decreasing as the night progressed), possible aspiration. All other vitals good and normal.

He hasn't awakened since they found him, though on 2 occasions he has been conscious enough to squeeze the doc's hand on command.

He is 60 years old. His name is Jim. For those so inclined, you know what to do (gotta keep this within the rules). First for something more definitive in diagnosis. Second, for a recovery. And third for sleep for me ;). It's 4 hours from Indy and I have had 4 hours of fitful sleep in the last 32 hours.

thanks.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If he was tinkering on a small engine, I'd think CO could build up and knock him out, then it would decrease like it's doing. I can't imagine where else he would have gotten it. Hemoglobin attaches CO preferentially and holds onto it longer than O2. That's why it can be fatal. I hope that's all it was; no lasting effects like with a heart attack or stroke. I'm not one to do... that thing you're not talking about, but he has my best wishes. You get some sleep. Frazzling yourself won't do him any good.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    As a father of a young man with autism these stories always hit home. Prayers for Jim, prayers for his sister, and of course prayers for the smartest girl in the room.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Good news!!!

since I posted, he's been having intermittent moments of (very, very brief--like 4-5 seconds at a time) consciousness. He's responding to familiar voices. Even squeezing hands on demand occasionally.

Its looking like like a classic case of carbon monoxide poisoning. And prognosis is guardedly optimistic; we'll have a better viewpoint tomorrow.

What at we still don't know is the source of the CO. He does tinker on lawn tractors but there was no evidence that it was running when he was out there yesterday. We may never know either.

But ptl he IS improving. Thanks everyone.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sincerely hope Jim suffers no long term ill effects from the CO poisoning, and 88 recovers from sleep deprivation. Prayers for all involved.

Top Bottom