Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm going to jump in late on this one and after not reading the entire thread. A few questions

Have they proven that the Covid vaccines prevent someone from spreading it?

If not, how does the vaccines stop the spread?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm going to jump in late on this one and after not reading the entire thread. A few questions

It’s a fair question, and I’d like to know the answer as well. From what I’ve seen, the CDC is still recommending the wearing of masks even if you have had the vaccine. So I think I have a good guess to what the answer is to your question, but I’m not entirely sure.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I’ve gathered from the cdc you could still get it, it’s less probable. And if you do, the reaction will be a lot less severe. :dunno:

but I’m not a scientist or medical personnel and according to mbills not educated enough to discuss the topic. :twocents:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve gathered from the cdc you could still get it, it’s less probable. And if you do, the reaction will be a lot less severe. :dunno:

but I’m not a scientist or medical personnel and according to mbills not educated enough to discuss the topic. :twocents:
    You know, you could ban him. :stickpoke:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm due to get part 2 of the Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday next, hopefully the 5G kicks in fairly quickly as I'm having a hard time keeping up.

In all seriousness though I've just been released to mingle with society and my co-workers after having quarantined for the last 11 days. The doc said between the antibodies I now possess and the vaccine I could be the next Superman! Woohoo! Where's Lois, I have something I'd like to discuss with her!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I'm not worried about getting Covid. My wife and daughter have both had it, my wife had mild symptoms and my daughter had none. One of the reasons I don't get the seasonal flu vaccines is because even if you get immunized you can still carry the flu to someone else. For that reason I feel no moral obligation to get it and I don't typically get sick (once every 5 years maybe) so I skip it.

If the Covid vaccines won't stop me from spreading it and I'm not worried about getting it, why get it? Why should my wife and daughter?

Maybe more importantly, why force people to get it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not worried about getting Covid. My wife and daughter have both had it, my wife had mild symptoms and my daughter had none. One of the reasons I don't get the seasonal flu vaccines is because even if you get immunized you can still carry the flu to someone else. For that reason I feel no moral obligation to get it and I don't typically get sick (once every 5 years maybe) so I skip it.

If the Covid vaccines won't stop me from spreading it and I'm not worried about getting it, why get it? Why should my wife and daughter?

Maybe more importantly, why force people to get it?
    Because "feelings"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Phew, man. It's not everyone, but there is too much ignorance in here for me. I don't have the patience for it anymore. Maybe that makes me weak, or bad, or whatever... I tried.

Anyway, I'm out.
    C'mon man. It's not on you to convince everyone to see things your way. You can't make people see things your way, so there's no need to be frustrated when they can't. Just share your knowledge. And then let people decide what they want to do with it. Well, unless you feel like it's your job to get people to take the vaccine.

But surely you must be able to hear what "there is too much ignorance in here for me" must sound like to people. You say stuff like that and you will not convince anyone who was resistant to your message in the first place.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Heidi Neckelmann, the widow of Dr. Gregory Michael, said her husband was vaccinated on Dec. 18, and died 16 days later. He was 56 years old, according to Sputnik. Patients typically receive a second dose of the vaccine 3 weeks after the first. Neckelmann also shared the news in a Facebook post, cited above.

What's more, the doctor started to experience unusual symptoms, and three days after vaccination, small spots began to appear on Gregory Michael's feet and hands. In response, he went to the emergency room at Mount Sinai. As his blood count was not in the normal ranges, he was admitted to the ICU, his wife told Sputnik. Shortly after, he suffered a stroke and died.
    This is why we do adverse event reporting. There will be a certain number of people that die from undiagnosed causes every day in the United States. If this is vaccine related, it will show up in a few other cases as we vaccinate millions of people.

That may sound a bit flippant, but we've already got hundreds of thousands vaccinated, or actually millions around the world I think. Covid is not going to wait for us to decide.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I don't think there's enough data yet to be completely certain so they are being cautious. In order to get that data quickly during the vaccine trial they would have had to do intentionally infect people. That's not ethical with a disease that's potentially fatal.

The other option is to swab people that are vaccinated very frequently for PCR testing knowing that a few will get infected. Some of that has been done for Moderns and so far the results are pretty good in terms of indicating you aren't likely to spread.

With most diseases that you were vaccinated for, you spread little to no virus after being infected. If you are vaccinated for the flu and get the flu virus the time you shed virus is a fraction compared to an unvaccinated person.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I received the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. I had a slightly sore arm late Wednesday and Thursday.

I helped my friend's 90 yr old dad sign up for a vaccine that he will get on the 16th.

Illinois, where my 86 year-old parents live, still seems to be stalled out in stage 1A. They're vaccinating everyone 65 and over as well as Frontline essential workers all in stage 1B. Apparently that's more racially equitable because there are more old white people

I don't know how that's going to work out for my parents. I hope they have an appointment system like Indiana does because asking the elderly to stand in line or even sit in their car for hours is a bit ridiculous.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Assuming you don’t work for yourself, your employer potentially may be able to try to compel you to do so. And for the record, I don’t like that either.
    FTFY My brother. I'm at a point where I don't necessarily have to work here. I like it here but when they want to make my medical decisions for me, I'm out.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Even if that doctor from FL's death is directly attributable to the COVID vaccine...

Odds of death from vaccine would be what, 1 in 5,000,000?

Compare that to the odds of dying from COVID. Based on the 9 Jan CDC update CFR is 1.68%; consider the CDC's estimate of 8 actual infections to every confirmed positive and you'd get an IFR of 0.21%.

Across all demographics, that'd make odds of death from COVID 1 in 476.

Of course, not all demographics are equal with regards to COVID outcomes. Looking at reported CDC demographics for cases and deaths, and considering the CDC's estimate of actual vs confirmed positive cases, the odds of death from COVID for the 0-49 age demographic is 1 in 6859.

The math seems to make that a fairly straightforward value proposition.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is why we do adverse event reporting. There will be a certain number of people that die from undiagnosed causes every day in the United States. If this is vaccine related, it will show up in a few other cases as we vaccinate millions of people.

That may sound a bit flippant, but we've already got hundreds of thousands vaccinated, or actually millions around the world I think. Covid is not going to wait for us to decide.
    Will the vaccine stop the spread of covid?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In the poll I said maybe. Depends on two things. 1) you first. If you don't die, maybe I won't either. 2) Does it stop the spread?

If you die, and it doesn't stop the spread of covid anyway, I'm kinda thinking about declining. But, if you don't die, and it does seem to work to stop the spread? Sure. But like I said, you first.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom