• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    And now for something completely different...

Ok, ok, I know this has come up in every thread about a presidential candidate for the past six months. But I thought it might be interesting to look a little at the idea of wasting a vote, rather than accusing everyone of doing it.

My personal opinion is that the only vote that's wasted is the one not cast in good faith (to include the one not cast at all). If I genuinely want Bozo the Clown as president and I cast my vote as such, then I have let my fellow citizens know who I feel should be our leader and as such have fulfilled my civic duty. Obviously, many people disagree and feel that voting for someone who no one thinks will win is, in fact, a wasted vote, and I can see the logic behind that even if I don't agree with it.

So when exactly is a vote wasted? Is a vote wasted if it is spent on someone who doesn't have a prayer of being competitive? On someone who has very little chance of winning? Probably won't, but maybe might win?

If someone in Illinois wants to vote for Romney, are they wasting their vote? Is a vote only wasted when it hurts a competitive candidate? Or is a vote wasted when it's not cast for the candidate you support? ;)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

John Q Adams

Only a fool could argue with a man of his caliber.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frankly just vote. No LP candidate is going to make a difference this year. Either Romney will win big or Obama will barely win but voting LP will not make a difference. So vote as your heart decides, it is your choice after all.

Same for Murdock/Donnelly/Horning as the Lugar republicans hold the cards for that race.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    A vote for (insert smaller guy name here) is a vote for Obama! Vote for Romney. Even if he isn't what you want he's a Republican so he should be ok.

Purple where needed. Too bad many people I talk to feel this way.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you go vote it's not wasted, no matter the candidate.
    In many countries people dont have the right to vote, in some they vote even if they risk their own lives by doing so (terrorists attacks in polling stations and such).
    If you stay at home and dont vote that's a wasted vote.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Depends on the vote. For some lighter votes, could be two, maybe three shots of patron. Other more experienced or heavier votes could slam down a whole bottle and a case of beer.

Throw in a bag of bud and that vote is most definitely wasted.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Why is it a civic duty to vote?

Why is the vote not cast waisted?

What if I am voting for Nobody.
    Nobody will keep election promises.
    Nobody will tell the truth.
    Nobody will listen.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    As long as the "2" parties in the "2" party system keep giving garbage as the only options and people are afraid of wasting a vote by going 3rd party, I'd say that all votes are wasted. The figurehead doesn't matter. The BS policy will continue and the same things will happen...one party might do it a little more slowly but the same things will happen.

tirebay1997

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I agree with SEPE. If you think there is any real difference between Obama and Romney, you're crazy.
    Neither of them care about us. They serve the corporate interest, that paid for their campaigns.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Frankly just vote. No LP candidate is going to make a difference this year. Either Romney will win big or Obama will barely win but voting LP will not make a difference. So vote as your heart decides, it is your choice after all.

Same for Murdock/Donnelly/Horning as the Lugar republicans hold the cards for that race.

I'm confused about your logic, Sir.

If 'Luger Republicrats' were so powerful, why didn't he win in the primary?
    He all be promised to buy them dinner if they would show up and help him keep his seat and it didn't work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Legally, 0.08
    vote_drunk_design_black.png

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Every action that we take, or don't take, matters... it is that simple.

No vote is wasted. Even a vote not cast is still a vote. If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. (tip of the hat to Neil Peart)

But every vote, like every action, has very real consequences. Choose wisely, and NO ONE should be yelling at you over your decision. They may or may not see things differently than you do. But we would all be wise to refrain from throwing too much invective, hellfire, and brimstone around.

Right now - everyone is worked up over things and is trying to make sure that everyone sees things the same way that they do. No vote is wasted - but EVERY one of them has consequences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If the government is of the people, it is our civic duty to understand the issues, and vote our minds. Not going to the polls on election day isn't necessarily not voting. Intentionally voting for none of the above is still voting. So I would say, the only wasted votes are apathetic non-votes, or mindless voting.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm confused about your logic, Sir.

If 'Luger Republicrats' were so powerful, why didn't he win in the primary?
    He all be promised to buy them dinner if they would show up and help him keep his seat and it didn't work.

I agree with you, and I think Luger would have lost regardless. But that he lost in a landslide I think doesn't reflect Indiana's true Republican electorate. Indiana has an open primary and I think it's fairly likely that a lot of Democrats voted for Murdock. You must admit that the Senate race is a lot tighter than it would have been if Luger were still in it.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Only a vote unused is a vote wasted.

Disagree.

No vote is wasted. Even a vote not cast is still a vote. If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. (tip of the hat to Neil Peart)

This.

Conscientiously not voting, when none of the choices are morally acceptable to the voter, is not a waste of a vote -- it is exercising the vote in the only way that can work with one's principles.

Top Bottom