• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First, I will never get so low I don't have enough to defend myself or my home. I'll stop shooting for recreation and training completely if it gets to that point.

As far as replenishing what I shoot now, if something is available and I have it in the budget I will consider buying it. I haven't had to buy 9mm since the craziness set in, but I did buy 5.56 and .223 for 40-50 cents per round just to have some more. Haven't broken 50 cents yet, but would if I needed ammo and I had the money. I wouldn't be happy about the price, but not going to complain either.

I try to have enough that I don't have to think about the fact that shooting a full mag of 5.56 is between $15 - 20 these days.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My dad ask me to see how much 7mm Remington magnum was running right now. So I looked around the cheapest 20rd box I could find was over $70.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    How do you put a price on YOU?
    Ammunition when you need it would be very valuable.
    I have my carry ammo but cannot find any range ammo worth shooting.
    The ranges must be hurting for shooters.
    Would you buy a new car if you couldn’t get gas for it?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a Sam Yang PCP airgun in .45. Shoots the same bullets I cast for .45acp. I can charge it from my scuba tanks or from a high pressure hand pump I have. Shooting is free as I bullet trap the lead in a sand trap and recast them. I also have some Benjamin .22 PCP. I have a swager to make pellets.

My first experience with a shortage was in 90 or 91 or thereabouts. It got me into reloading. I worked hard since then buying more when it was cheap which carried me well through all the subsequent shortages.

Ammo is a commodity, so expect prices to fluctuate. As such, like any commodity, no one is “owed” cheap. If it’s too expensive, shoot less or suck it up.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I've been reloading for almost 40 years and in that space of time I don't ever remember the lack of components to the extent that exist today.
    I suspect it not going to get better.
    There is avery real possibility that under a biden admin we could see serious restrictions.
    In some european countries ( so I have been told ) military cartridges are illegal for the general public to own.....I could see that happening here

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Two anecdotes about the recent times. The names and calibers have been committed to protect the innocent

A year ago I sold 8 20 round boxes for $100. I had originally had paid a bit over $200 for them but no longer had a firearm chambered in that caliber. I recently saw a classified add for that ammo at $30 per box.

Names allowed in this one because Ballstater is a stand up guy. I needed some range ball ammo 9 & 45, so he said he had some he could let go of. He asked me what I thought the price was pre panic. I thought it was $20 for 45 and $12 for 9. When we met he offered the 45 for $17 and 9 for $10.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Whenever people come to me for 9mm saying they want a box, I tell them $50 per box. That's what it would pretty much cost to replace it now. No takers so far:rolleyes:

If I lost all mine now, I wouldn't be buying it by the case, but would just buy a couple of boxes at a time. It would take a looong time to get any where close to where I am now.

Bob

I'm comfortable with the amount I have on hand, but I'm only going to shoot what I can buy - so it is going to cut down on range trips

Where I screwed up was not keeping a lot more primers on hand, everything else I've got except low on bullets for 9mm - lulled by the fact it was so cheap for so long. I have shared primers with folks in my circle of friends. Hopefully I get a chance to profit from the lesson and can stock up (late?) next year, and I can cast if I really need to

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My situation exactly.. I did share some 9 with couple of dedicated new students for $15 a box. Selling for a profit is not me but I didn't envision selling at all. My plan was/is to have what I need to shoot when I want. I'm not looking to sell and I consider it a commodity now just like gold or silver.
    To answer the question I look on Gunbroker when I'm curious what the going rate is. That will give a real time view of the market.

When I think about the OP question, I think $20s per box is what would be the likely floor for range/FMJ. I look at the amount of material that goes into a round of 9mm relative to a round of 40 or 45 and it seems the prices should be about comparable

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    How do you put a price on YOU?
    Ammunition when you need it would be very valuable.
    I have my carry ammo but cannot find any range ammo worth shooting.
    The ranges must be hurting for shooters.
    Would you buy a new car if you couldn’t get gas for it?

You wouldn't buy any car without gas being available. Parabellum seems to have most calibers unlike Point Blank but the price keeps going up. They are paying a premium for it to keep the range running. A range without ammo is like a car without gas, not of use to anyone. Ammo is a commodity now just as gas has always been. If gas goes back to $4 a gallon we aren't going to like it and we will drive less but we will still drive. Ammo goes up I shoot less but I still shoot because I feel it's important to practice.
    [FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My dad ask me to see how much 7mm Remington magnum was running right now. So I looked around the cheapest 20rd box I could find was over $70.

Just ran a quick goto to Ammoseek, and they had Winchester XP in 140gr available for $42.99/20 (10:28 Christmas morning), not sure what S&H would be

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When I think about the OP question, I think $20s per box is what would be the likely floor for range/FMJ. I look at the amount of material that goes into a round of 9mm relative to a round of 40 or 45 and it seems the prices should be about comparable

What you say about components and manufacture ie pretty accurate.

I "think" the difference is caused by the fact that manufacturers make a lot more 9 than they do 40 or 45.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Sam Yang PCP airgun in .45. Shoots the same bullets I cast for .45acp. I can charge it from my scuba tanks or from a high pressure hand pump I have. Shooting is free as I bullet trap the lead in a sand trap and recast them. I also have some Benjamin .22 PCP. I have a swager to make pellets.

My first experience with a shortage was in 90 or 91 or thereabouts. It got me into reloading. I worked hard since then buying more when it was cheap which carried me well through all the subsequent shortages.

Ammo is a commodity, so expect prices to fluctuate. As such, like any commodity, no one is “owed” cheap. If it’s too expensive, shoot less or suck it up.

This, and as commercial ammo manufacturers run flat out there will be less production capacity available for the reloading market and we've likely drained whatever was already in the pipeline

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Not worth a plug nickle to me. I'll pick up a fishing pole or do something else. Shooting is only a small part of my life. Bow and arrow or pellet guns in the backyard will scratch the itch.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What you say about components and manufacture ie pretty accurate.

I "think" the difference is caused by the fact that manufacturers make a lot more 9 than they do 40 or 45.

I think of it more as 9mm is the regular gasoline of ammunition, meaning that is where every manufacturer tried to be most competitive in a bid for market share. It seems likely they would have taken a smaller margin on each box if it meant increased volume

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    You wouldn't buy any car without gas being available. Parabellum seems to have most calibers unlike Point Blank but the price keeps going up. They are paying a premium for it to keep the range running. A range without ammo is like a car without gas, not of use to anyone. Ammo is a commodity now just as gas has always been. If gas goes back to $4 a gallon we aren't going to like it and we will drive less but we will still drive. Ammo goes up I shoot less but I still shoot because I feel it's important to practice.

Great analogy

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Exactly, CM! It wasn't that long ago that many were commenting on how foolish it is to waste your time reloading. How much more valuable their time is than the cost of ammo.

Yep I've read those type of comments too. But in the last few months at the range I've hardly seen any 9mm shooters . Actually not seen many shooters period! If it were not for reloading I would not be shooting 9mm either.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What's your life worth to you? What is the life of your children worth to you? How much do you expect to have to use ammo to save your or your children's lives?

Do the calculus and then find out where the answer leads to see what you can afford.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What's your life worth to you? What is the life of your children worth to you? How much do you expect to have to use ammo to save your or your children's lives?

Do the calculus and then find out where the answer leads to see what you can afford.

Inresponseto this, I have set aside ammo for the needs of defense of family, self and others if necessary. I have very little left of practice ammo.

I went to Westforth's and asked about .45 ACP ball and it is $44.99 for a 50 round box. They had 5 boxes. As far as I am concerned it will sit there until it turns green and unusable.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You should bear in mind that retailers, especially those not affiliated with large organizations, need to sell product at a premium over their cost to replace the stock not just at a premium to what they paid for said product. In times of high price volatility, that price is difficult to determine and as such they may need to up the premium charged to be assured of future profitability

Top Bottom