• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not opposed to saying **** you to my friends when they're full of ****. It's not that I think moving the embassy to Jerusalem is a such a grand idea. But it is the law, and has been since what, 1995 or something? Also, I'm not all that fond of the US being the world's welfare department. **** them all day long. If we have to be their welfare department, I think it's appropriate to attach whatever strings we care to attach to that. So **** them long and hard.

This. x 1,000,000.

:yesway:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Jerusalem: UN resolution rejects Trump's declaration - BBC News

So now we have a list of most of our prominent allies. Disagreeing with us. Vocally.

Yawn. Like that never happened before. Whether it's polite to say or not, the UK has had a strong anti-Semitic streak for a long time, and it hasn't gotten better the more "progressive" it has become. This (opposition) is all kowtowing to progressive fantasies about Palestinians and to their ever burgeoning, and anti-Semitic, immigrants.

Besides that, the whole notion of taking away aid because of their policy position strikes me as more interventionist than most neo-isolationists are comfortable with.

"Neo-isolationists" would be uncomfortable cutting off aid? Because it's for the wrong reason? Really? And if so, why would anyone give a crap?

Anyway, Foreign aid is, without exception, tied to our goals and policies -- it is a tangible manifestation of our policies, and that includes when our goal is to influence somebody else's policies and goals. So is every other countries. We screw up when our aid doesn't actually support our policies and goals, such as when we fund the UN to support "refugee" camps that use aid money to build concrete tunnels into our ally's country so terrorists can be smuggled in.

Trump is a disrupter, something that western policy towards the Middle East has needed for a long time. I had hoped that when W rolled into Iraq that this would be the start of a major western-led reordering of things, but no. Then we got eight years of kowtow from behind.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ...because there was nothing at stake.

Look "progressive", placate the obnoxious elements of your populace, but know the U.S. will always have your back anyway.

Yes, exactly. The old western Europeans in NATO knew for decades that their bacon was being safeguarded by the US, but that chafed. They liked the security, but chafed at the dependence. So they threw lesser-league fits about all kinds of stuff, we saw this at the state-diplomatic level and also within the military alliance, there were always small squabbles going on between the US military and our allies about how to do things, what weapons to buy, all kinds of stuff - not because the squabble made sense on its face, but to show the flag. And the US was big enough to be patient with all this, because when we really wanted something, something strategic, we would get it because we were underpinning the whole alliance. Cruise missiles in Europe, whatever.

They still have an inferiority complex regarding their relationship with the US, and the massive leftward tilt in most of their governments has also added to the desire to try to show "independence" and kick dirt on our shoes. Heck, that's why Obama got a Nobel Peace prize just for showing up. He was the most anti-US president they had ever seen.

So mass urination at the UN was a safe move for them; at least until Nikki reminded them that maybe there's an electric fence wire they should be careful of...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This list is complete BS. Nothing of substance will happen to any of the meaningful countries on it.

Sure, we'll cut back on our aid to Gabon and Trump will be the tough guy.

Its a silly, do-nothing, grandstanding, JV team play.

But I'm sure his approval numbers will improve and the base will be energized.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not opposed to saying **** you to my friends when they're full of ****. It's not that I think moving the embassy to Jerusalem is a such a grand idea. But it is the law, and has been since what, 1995 or something? Also, I'm not all that fond of the US being the world's welfare department. **** them all day long. If we have to be their welfare department, I think it's appropriate to attach whatever strings we care to attach to that. So **** them long and hard.

Mostly this. When you're catching flack, you're no longer leading from behind and you're probably over the target. Maybe it is bluster. Maybe it's a jerking of their chains. If we happen to save the taxpayers a few bucks in the deal.......well, it's a nice change of pace, if nothing else.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This list is complete BS. Nothing of substance will happen to any of the meaningful countries on it.

Sure, we'll cut back on our aid to Gabon and Trump will be the tough guy.

Its a silly, do-nothing, grandstanding, JV team play.

But I'm sure his approval numbers will improve and the base will be energized.

Righto! It's not as if you have ever underestimated him before. Do carry on! :)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm not for giving other countries our money.
    But if we do give our money to other countries, and they want to go "their own way", then I have no problem withholding money. It's our money.

I am confused. Does this statement belong in the sanctuary city thread or is it about the UN once again voting against Israel?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Jerusalem: UN resolution rejects Trump's declaration - BBC News

So now we have a list of most of our prominent allies. Disagreeing with us. Vocally.

Yes, I'm including the "abstentions" like Canada. Because, if they aren't with us, then they are against us.

Besides that, the whole notion of taking away aid because of their policy position strikes me as more interventionist than most neo-isolationists are comfortable with.

Kinda poo-poos the idea of the United States gain respect around the world, don't it?
    For the record, I disagreed with the decision to move the embassy, but it's the presidents choice.... NOT because it was based on that 1995 "law." And personally, I don't think that this issue should be the one that the Trump administration is issuing threats over. That's just dumb. I'd have greater respect, if the only reason given was the fact that the US already spends too much money around the world, and has seen little benefit for it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am confused. Does this statement belong in the sanctuary city thread or is it about the UN once again voting against Israel?

It belongs in the "I'm Opposed to International Welfare" thread. I'm not particularly a fan of lifelong welfare user in the United States, and I'm less a fan of it when the recipients aren't American.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kinda poo-poos the idea of the United States gain respect around the world, don't it?

I would emphasize that being liked and being respected are two entirely different things. Respect is NOT derived from dropping our pants and grabbing our ankles to appease the membership of the UN. Respect comes from people who need it getting their asses blistered. I seem to recall a combination of fawning over the person of Obama and a distinct lack of actual respect as a product of the World Apology Tour and subsequent policy. When the rest of the world starts screaming like smashed cats, you know that they may not like you but they respect you in the knowledge that you are not letting them run over you and there is nothing they can do about it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I wish that a binding resolution to toss the US out of the UN would be proposed by the Security Council and we would not veto it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Kinda related...who else thinks Nikki Haley is hot?

rts18zhj.jpg

Top Bottom