Turn Signals, Does Anyone Use Them Anymore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    There's also an Indiana law many may not be aware exists. Motorists are required to yield the right-of-way to semi-trucks while driving inside a roundabout.

Strange Indiana built some roundabouts too small for a truck.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's really not complicated. If you signal after the exit and before/at the entrance, it is clear that you're not signaling a turn at that exit, but at the next exit. It is possible to signal exits correctly in any size roundabout.

The bigger concerns at most roundabouts are a) people who completely blow through the yield/right-of-way when entering the roundabout, b) people who stop for no reason at the entrance to the roundabout, and c) people on their cell phones while in/entering/exiting the roundabout.
    To be fair some roundabouts are too small to bother using a turn signal.
    Living in the country with the largest number of of roundabout I must drive thru 50 or 60 a day.

This one is in Belgium, unless you turn left or right you don't have time to use your turn signal if you drive straight ahead.

Sometimes the middle of the roundabout is just painted on the road. You can drive over it.

tout-petit-ce-rond-point-photo-jean-louis-navarro-(clp)-1354702998.jpg

On the other side of the spectrum you have this one in Paris, with 12 inside lanes and 12 entries and exits.
    Over 110,000 vehicles go thru it every day.
    The lanes are not properly marked and Parisians don't use turn signals so you need to use your horn more than anything else.

15325528963_e10fd98b6c_b.jpg

15757733718_c564207d0c_b.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    There's also an Indiana law many may not be aware exists. Motorists are required to yield the right-of-way to semi-trucks while driving inside a roundabout.

Ya know, I had an old driver out of our shop tell me that and I thought he was the biggest idiot. I’m still not charging headlong into a roundabout full of cars to see if it works!

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John

Regardless of written law, common sense and a rudimentary understanding of the laws of physics would be the guiding factor.
    "Go right ahead, big truck".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    One pet peeve of mine (what, me? a pet peeve?!?) is roundabouts. Nobody uses turn signals in them anymore. Heaven forbid, you should inconvenience yourself to indicate your intentions to the other cars in/entering the roundabout.

I have a 15-year-old, who is taking notice of operating a vehicle and how drivers behave. I try to teach her these things. The main lessons are to drive assertively, drive defensively (observe and act preemptively to the other cars around you), and be courteous of other drivers.
    I use my turn signal. When I'm approaching the roundabout I turn on my left blinker. It usually clears a path/gives me a couple extra seconds to enter while they're all jamming on their brakes.

Their putting one in by me, state highway, two local roads, and a town park exit. One of the roads connects with the highway in a V. Going from one to the other is like making a U turn. It's going to be fun to see what it looks like.
    One thing is for certain is that everyone thinks that they are the greatest driver in the world and everyone else is an idiot!:)
    Nah, I'm no Parnelli Jones. I'm 2nd best.
    To be fair some roundabouts are too small to bother using a turn signal.
    Living in the country with the largest number of of roundabout I must drive thru 50 or 60 a day.

This one is in Belgium, unless you turn left or right you don't have time to use your turn signal if you drive straight ahead.

Sometimes the middle of the roundabout is just painted on the road. You can drive over it.

tout-petit-ce-rond-point-photo-jean-louis-navarro-(clp)-1354702998.jpg

On the other side of the spectrum you have this one in Paris, with 12 inside lanes and 12 entries and exits.
    Over 110,000 vehicles go thru it every day.
    The lanes are not properly marked and Parisians don't use turn signals so you need to use your horn more than anything else.

15325528963_e10fd98b6c_b.jpg

15757733718_c564207d0c_b.jpg
    The last one.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I feel they are getting harder to see from the front. Frequently at 4-way stop i am shocked when someone turns and then i see a faint blinker flashing from front only
    Maybe related, maybe not....

I have a couple of vehicles that shut the headlight off on the side of the signal when it is flashing.

Getting a little tired of people telling me I have a headlight out...especially when it magically comes back on as soon as the turn is completed.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

I have a couple of vehicles that shut the headlight off on the side of the signal when it is flashing.

Getting a little tired of people telling me I have a headlight out...especially when it magically comes back on as soon as the turn is completed.
    My wife’s Cherokee has the LED DRL’s and it does the same thing, of course it’s just a little strip of lights, not the whole headlight. Some older Cadillacs had a small white light that would come on when you turned on the turn signal to light up the area you were turning into.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife’s Cherokee has the LED DRL’s and it does the same thing, of course it’s just a little strip of lights, not the whole headlight. Some older Cadillacs had a small white light that would come on when you turned on the turn signal to light up the area you were turning into.
    This is on my Ram and Pacifica and on the Town and County we used to have. Maybe its a Chrysler thing...or I have had way more Chryslers than I thought I ever would.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

My Yukon turns off the running the light. I thought I had a problem when i saw reflection from car in front of me. Then later I saw it was fine and figured it out.

Interesting

Top Bottom