• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Government shouldn’t mandate anything about masks. If a business wants to require it, that’s their right. It’s my right to take my money elsewhere. Requiring me to wear a piece of clothing through government mandate? No. I didn’t see any mandates to wear a condom during the AIDS epidemic.

We are in complete agreement then.. as of now....

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The pro-mask arguments are overlooking the fact that you control who you come into contact with. If a non-masked person is present and you are concerned for your health, don't go near them.
    The medical community has revised their position on ambient germs (just like they have on masks a few times) and said you aren't likely to catch covid without being in someone's face.
    If the non-masker if coughing and sneezing, run.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Replace 'masks are' with 'mail in voting is' and see if it still makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. I cannot shake the feeling that masks are just there to break the elctorate to the saddle. "It's for your own good and (when that wasn't working well enough) + the good of others"
    I’ve heard a lot of people express this. What makes you believe this? I’m skeptical that masks are as important to limiting the spread of covid for much the same reasons that Chip is, although I’m not as confident as he is that it’s 100-0. I’m especially skeptical of the eager acceptance of mask-wearing as a moral virtue. But the first thing that pops into my head to explain it isn’t a vast leftwing conspiracy to condition people for mind control. I’ll just say it. I kinda think that’s a little out there, KWIM?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The pro-mask arguments are overlooking the fact that you control who you come into contact with. If a non-masked person is present and you are concerned for your health, don't go near them.
    The medical community has revised their position on ambient germs (just like they have on masks a few times) and said you aren't likely to catch covid without being in someone's face.

I saw a lady when this was first becoming a big deal, around March or April I guess, at Kroger with a mask. She literally lifted her mask up, puts her hand over her mouth, coughs into her hand, and pulls her mask back down.

Good job lady, that’s how they’re designed to work. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think situational awareness and paying attention to how close people are to you is WAY more effective than draping a loose fitting mask under your nose.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve heard a lot of people express this. What makes you believe this? I’m skeptical that masks are as important to limiting the spread of covid for much the same reasons that Chip is, although I’m not as confident as he is that it’s 100-0. I’m especially skeptical of the eager acceptance of mask-wearing as a moral virtue. But the first thing that pops into my head to explain it isn’t a vast leftwing conspiracy to condition people for mind control. I’ll just say it. I kinda think that’s a little out there, KWIM?

I think I’m fairly aligned with you on this. They probably aren’t completely worthless. I don’t think it’s some mind control conspiracy. I think it’s much simpler—it’s all they can come up with. They’ve killed off the possibility of promoting a cheap, fairly benign drug, that has been arguably effective by some accounts. They have nothing else other than shutting down the economy. In a world of “just do something”, TPTB latch onto whatever they can sometimes that the fewest people will push back on.

Studio 417

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Somewhere
    I didn't read every post, and this may have been stated.

We don't have a lot of local options to get most things, and I certainly don't want to drive an extra 20,30,40 miles to pick up something that can be purchased within a few miles from home, but they require a mask.
    Whether the mask actually has any benefits, or not, isn't worth boycotting a business because they require their use, for me. I see it the same as the trespass law... it's their house, their rules. If placing a piece of fabric across my face,
    allows me to save time, and the expense of wasted gasoline, then it takes nothing away from me to do so. I've played the game of going to the next store, and after the trek, the store didn't even have what I needed. Then what?
    Continue searching for a store, and in this case, one that doesn't require masks, to the same end? I've also had this happen, and when I returned to the original (or first choice, local) store, the item was sold out there.

I apologize if this has been covered, and it's JMO. Everyone is entitled to do what they believe is best for them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

They went from 'we must mask and social distance to flatten the curve' to 'the continuing dangers of the pandemic mean we have to have extended voting periods and vote by mail' awfully quickly, recall vote by mail was in the first Pelosi stimulus omnibus pander bill

My opinion is it is part of a multi-pronged attack on voter ID and election integrity designed to make sure a repeat of 2016 is either impossible or vastly more difficult. The vast left wing conspiracy was already in existence since 2016, it has only been repurposed

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Where's all the bio hazard bags/containers for all the contaminated PPE ?

Does this killer virus NOT spread from contaminated surfaces , ppe, gas pumps, shopping carts, etc?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where's all the bio hazard bags/containers for all the contaminated PPE ?

Does this killer virus NOT spread from contaminated surfaces , ppe, gas pumps, shopping carts, etc?
    Well, three months ago we sure thought so. Now they’re saying that it primarily spreads through the air via droplets from breath, especially sneezed or coughed. This is a major reason why many people are having a hard time trusting the “experts”. When they flip 180 degrees from what they told us on so many aspects of this disease, it just makes people believe they don’t really know any more than anyone else.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They went from 'we must mask and social distance to flatten the curve' to 'the continuing dangers of the pandemic mean we have to have extended voting periods and vote by mail' awfully quickly, recall vote by mail was in the first Pelosi stimulus omnibus pander bill

My opinion is it is part of a multi-pronged attack on voter ID and election integrity designed to make sure a repeat of 2016 is either impossible or vastly more difficult. The vast left wing conspiracy was already in existence since 2016, it has only been repurposed
    I think some people are certainly not letting crises go to waste. Where you see it as straight up making stuff up, the masks, the dangers of covid and whatnot, I see it as politicians being opportunists.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Clarify for me, do you believe a business has a right to tell you to wear one on their premises?

That would be correct.
    Right to refuse service, and right to have trespassers removed.

The government also has the right to tell you to wear cloths, shoes, pants, shirt, even mask.
    Why do you think no one is taking the mask orders to court in states with mandatory mask orders?

Just like the government can mandate you can't pipe disease carrying waste & sewage directly out into the environment, life jackets on boats, seat belts in passenger vehicles, not to drive drunk, speed limits and travel lane restrictions, ect.

You DON'T have the 'Right' to endanger others, the reason for requiring medical license for performing medical treatment, driving a car, etc.
    They make SURE some random person with no education, or some warped idea doesn't try to run things.
    After all, when these rules weren't in place, lead, poisons, even radio active materials wound up in food, medicine, and disease ran wild...

It's such a simple concept I honestly don't understand why it got turned political...
    The big spikes in most states are 'Typhoid Marys' running around arguing they have some 'Right' to infect everyone.

I can't identify who's infected and who's not, and I can't shoot a virus.
    If a simple piece of cloth stops it, reduces infection probably to 3% when around someone infected (intentionally infecting others or not) that's a 97% reduction in my chances of that dimwit infecting me.
    If alcohol reduces the chances to under 1%, I'm using alcohol.

Turns out, I had several gallons of 100% IPA from my reloading lube mix, so I've been protecting myself since the very beginning.
    I've also been working in the COVID hot spots since the beginning.
    The issue is, I have to be correct every single time I come into contact with the unknown number (probably a few million) that WANT to spread this infection,
    And THEY only have to be 'Lucky' once...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Well, three months ago we sure thought so. Now they’re saying that it primarily spreads through the air via droplets from breath, especially sneezed or coughed. This is a major reason why many people are having a hard time trusting the “experts”. When they flip 180 degrees from what they told us on so many aspects of this disease, it just makes people believe they don’t really know any more than anyone else.

It's a new disease. The infectious disease docs, virologists, etc have admitted this entire time they aren't certain but the media pulls statements out of context. And to be fair, people want simplistic answers.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I think situational awareness and paying attention to how close people are to you is WAY more effective than draping a loose fitting mask under your nose.

yes, if you can stay distant from people (especially outdoors) then the mask becomes a non-issue

But if the mask might help, why not do it? We want to mitigate infections. We want to get businesses and schools open. So throw everything including the kitchen sink at the virus, provided the tossing doesn't cause its own problems. Who cares really if it turned out to be unimportant?

I was against the mask-wearing at first. I know that most masks aren't filtering viral particles. And I'm concerned that people touching their mask might actually increase transmission.

But then we saw evidence that a significant proportion of transmission is from presymptomatic and asymptomatic carriers, including their respiratory droplets. Knowing that, it makes sense for everyone to mask up when indoors. I wouldn't wear a mask outdoors unless really close to people for a while (or passing close to people, because why not)

We do need better masks if this is going to continue.Some researchers are trying to find more effective, washable masks.

It would also be nice to educate people to sanitize their hands before and after touching the mask.

But we are talking to 300 million people so a reasonable message is "mask up".

The worst thing that happens is we laugh at ourselves later for going through all that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom