• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The media uproar may not occur in this case if they look at the fact that the kid climbed onto private property

Just like Trayvon.

Or the fact that the kid's brother says he is a young thief

Just like Trayvon

Its hard to turn this kid into a saint.

I happened with Trayvon

Don't worry. It will come. The liberal media, govt., activists, etc. will never let a good situation go to waste when it's handed to them.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    You might want to rethink that,
    if there is more then 1 they could take care of you pretty quickly and gain entry to your home and whatever or whoever is inside.

The police work for me and I let them take care of my light work, unless someone is being harmed I will call them and stay inside my house.

The theoretical situations could go on forever, but I agree with Pitmaster in that if there is something going on outside my home that is raising my suspicions and I feel it necessary, I will arm myself and investigate while my wife waits inside with gun loaded and speed dial ready for 911. I would rather investigate and take my chances that there may be multiple intruders but at least have a chance to catch them by surprise rather than waiting inside for them to take action AND then calling 911 or calling 911 and then waiting.

If it is true that the homeowner armed himself and went outside and fired when the kid appeared to have reached for something that could be a weapon then, in my opinion, the homeowner did the right thing. None of us have all the facts yet, so we'll have to see how it plays out.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    But he gets a pass. We live in a society where some people are not considered to have to be accountable. I am sure Jackson and Sharpton would much rather have seen the wife sexually assaulted and the father killed than him defend himself.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I didn't even read the article, but I can see by the commentary where it's going.

What I want to comment on though is how the criminally minded should be somehow felt sorry for (in some people's eyes) for not knowing the laws or how they irresponsibly put themselves in the path of danger by the things they do. Additionally, it is then by fault of the owner of the property that the person met his/her demise or was severely injured.

Suddenly it becomes an emotionally charged, racially biased case. He was a good boy...all he did was climb a fence...he was just on his way home...he was a good brother to his baby sister.

This talk of the home owner how he should not have come out of his house is just B.S. So, we should cower in our homes while the bad guys rule the streets at night and come on our property at will? That's what is going on. That's why I hear shots around the neighborhood at night. Lock your doors at night and don't poke your heads out the door, cause we own this street...BANG BANG BANG BANG.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    According to this article, the teens family has stated he had a history with theft related arrests already: Unarmed Black Teen Marshall Coulter Shot by Homeowner Merritt Landry in Marigny LA | The Hinterland Gazette

Coulter’s family acknowledged the teen’s history of burglary arrests but said he had never used a gun. Police said that Coulter did not pose a threat to the homeowner, Merritt Landry, who works as a building inspector for the Historic District Landmarks Commission. Police said the teen was near Landry’s vehicle when he was shot about 2 a.m. Landry’s friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house’s backdoor.

That makes it sound like he walked up the driveway, not scaled a fence.

Anyone have any other sources?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    According to this article, the teens family has stated he had a history with theft related arrests already: Unarmed Black Teen Marshall Coulter Shot by Homeowner Merritt Landry in Marigny LA | The Hinterland Gazette

Coulter’s family acknowledged the teen’s history of burglary arrests but said he had never used a gun. Police said that Coulter did not pose a threat to the homeowner, Merritt Landry, who works as a building inspector for the Historic District Landmarks Commission. Police said the teen was near Landry’s vehicle when he was shot about 2 a.m. Landry’s friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house’s backdoor.

That makes it sound like he walked up the driveway, not scaled a fence.

Anyone have any other sources?

WHA?? The teen has a criminal history and the police make this claim that he posed no threat to the homeowner? What kind of mind reading hindsight crap is that? You don't know WHO you're dealing with when a stranger decides to merry his way onto your property.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    And the article makes SURE that the shooter is known as a "WHITE CAUCASION". Watch the news these days and you rarely get the ethnicity mentioned until you see the picture. That's PC for ya.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    But if death results, apparently you MUST have been within the residence/POB/vehicle?

So it's okay to shoot trespassers as long as you don't kill them, but if you're going to kill them, be sure to stay in the doorway, even if they only just crossed the property line.

Louisiana needs to harmonize those statutes...

Being that Louisiana is the only non-common law foundation state in the country, they have some laws I've found to be rather strange... I wouldn't hold my breath on them harmonizing them.

Best,

Joe

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Is it just me, or do I see a certain segment of the American populace (teenage blacks. There, I said it) getting bolder to do stupid things?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    If your going to use deadly force on someone for trespassing or breaking into your car you should stay up on hand to hand combat training.

One should also get some knife fighting training. These skills will be put to good use will serving a your prison sentence.

Lethal self-defense is for protecting people, not stuff.

I'm not saying let people steel your stuff. You just can't legally shoot them for it outside of your dwelling.

If you go outside to confront a thief, trespasser and or serial killer you better be able to use less than lethal force if you want to detain them.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Detain them? If someone has the audacity to think what's mine is their's or that my family is going to submit to their criminal ignorance, they are going to be punished.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your going to use deadly force on someone for trespassing or breaking into your car you should stay up on hand to hand combat training.

One should also get some knife fighting training. These skills will be put to good use will serving a your prison sentence.

Lethal self-defense is for protecting people, not stuff.

I'm not saying let people steel your stuff. You just can't legally shoot them for it outside of your dwelling.

If you go outside to confront a thief, trespasser and or serial killer you better be able to use less than lethal force if you want to detain them.

IC 35-41-3-2(d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

You have the right, in Indiana, to confront a person trespassing on your land at an ungodly hour. If they have a gun, you then have the right to meet force with force. If they have a terminal case of the stupids (and let's face it, late night trespass is a key symptom thereof) and do something to make you think they have a gun, you have the right to reasonably believe they have a gun and meet their feigned force with very real force.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Detain, mace, taze and or asskicking, whatever feels natural.

I just would not shoot them for stealing my car, if I was in the house and the car is outside.

I would not let them walk away, but I would not shoot them either.

Last edited:

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I feel that no matter what, that the child of 14 being out at 2am is a parent problem. If the parents have better control of there kids and know where the are then these things might not have happened at all. I also think that if the person as respect for his or her family that they wouldn't be doing things like this. I never did and I kinda grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and I never ever made my family suffer for what I did.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    You have the right, in Indiana, to confront a person trespassing on your land at an ungodly hour. If they have a gun, you then have the right to meet force with force. If they have a terminal case of the stupids (and let's face it, late night trespass is a key symptom thereof) and do something to make you think they have a gun, you have the right to reasonably believe they have a gun and meet their feigned force with very real force.

I had too look up curtilage. :n00b:

That is all I am saying is use reasonable force.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Good point. WTF is this kid doing out at 2am. His parents (or parent more likely) have some splainin to do imo.

They'll say that the kids don't have anything else to do. They'll blame it on poverty. Anything but themselves which is basically the frame of mind and attitude that is being perpetuated from parent to child.

Top Bottom