• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    A trespasser at 2am is sufficient to meet with a firearm. Any movement on his part not involving hitting the ground and french kissing the dirt (turning tail and running like the yellow-bellied coward he is excepted) will likely be considered a threat and be met with the appropriate use of force to stop it .

Yeah, so? Are you just sharing stories or is there some point relevant to my post?

I would you assume that you remember the above quoted statement?

LOL. I hear back-up beeps.

You must be hearing things.

Only if you're naive enough to think force necessarily means physical and or violence.

Maybe about some things as all people are. But I'm not just because you say so.

Last edited:

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    "Police said the teen was near Landry's vehicle when he was shot. Landry's friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house's backdoor."

You wait until they are INSIDE the house!!

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    "Police said the teen was near Landry's vehicle when he was shot. Landry's friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house's backdoor."

You wait until they are INSIDE the house!!

IC 35-41-3-2(d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

As mentioned before. Look up the definition of curtilage. If the guy is breaking into your car on your property behind a gate that is obviously meant to say "STAY OUT", are you just going to let it happen? And upon investigating the situation are you preparing yourself for the best or the worst under said criteria?

Sorry to wake you sir, I was just posting a flyer on your windshield...your gated driveway was kind of a hassle

I thought I might clean your dirty car windows before checking the cleanliness of your house windows

My mom wanted to know what color the interior to your car was...she likes it

Greetings sir, just testing your security, there's been some burglaries in the neighborhood lately.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I would you assume that you remember the above quoted statement?

You know what happens when you ASSume.

You probably should focus on the last part of that sentence. Appropriate. Use. Of. Force. Operative word: appropriate. You're the one who ASSumed it meant deadly force for mere non-compliance. (And let's not forget the qualifier "likely," indicating that it was not an absolute statement of pre-determined assumption and consequent act.)

You must be hearing things.
    Riiiiiight. Your recovery attempt has failed. Why ask if he's armed at all if you think that the justification for action (use of force, particularly deadly force) is a weapon and then include fists as a weapon? Of course he's armed if fists are a weapon. Everyone ('cepting the double amputee) is armed by that standard. So what could you possibly have meant by asking if he was armed?

Maybe about some things as all people are. But I'm not just because you say so.
    Of course not just because I say so. (And I didn't say so.) I merely made an observation that a condition only existed under certain circumstances. I left it up to you to decide whether those circumstances applied to you or not. A point which you have neglected to address by hiding behind the attempt at deflection.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    You know what happens when you ASSume.

You probably should focus on the last part of that sentence. Appropriate. Use. Of. Force. Operative word: appropriate. You're the one who ASSumed it meant deadly force for mere non-compliance. (And let's not forget the qualifier "likely," indicating that it was not an absolute statement of pre-determined assumption and consequent act.)

Riiiiiight. Your recovery attempt has failed. Why ask if he's armed at all if you think that the justification for action (use of force, particularly deadly force) is a weapon and then include fists as a weapon? Of course he's armed if fists are a weapon. Everyone ('cepting the double amputee) is armed by that standard. So what could you possibly have meant by asking if he was armed?

Of course not just because I say so. (And I didn't say so.) I merely made an observation that a condition only existed under certain circumstances. I left it up to you to decide whether those circumstances applied to you or not. A point which you have neglected to address by hiding behind the attempt at deflection.

In my original post I merely asked if the if the trespasser was armed because to me is was a valid question pertinent to the post before mine. Not because I knew that people who posted before me knew the answer to that particular question, but because I wanted them to think if even for a second about facts in the article that indicated that the teen was only trespassing. And I also stated that nothing I own was worth someones life and then you ran with what I said on that point as well as some others trying to turn it into some kind of spectacle. Were you trying to make me think of the situation from a different point of view or where you just being a internet bully? I have the distinctive feeling it was thy later as it seems to fit your profile of previous post.

With that being said I will disengage from this thread cause I don't usually involve myself in silly arguments especially over the internet.
    Does this mean I believe you have made any valid post, NO. Will you have the last word, PROBABLY, but I simply don't care.

Just remember cardboard high horses eventually get wet and collapse.

Have a great day. I know I will.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    It's ok for officers to respond with such force and to do so on someone else's property but in no way should a homeowner confront a trespasser on their property. Just sit back and call the 5-0 and wait.. Purple implied!!! Ever wonder why police response time is so long??? Trivial calls to dispatch!!! Calls that can be handled w/o police involvement.. I see someone in my yard at 2am lights come on and I come out gun in hand.. No 911 unless perceived to be a threat..

If you don't perceive a threat, why are you taking your gun with you? That will be the question asked, and likely many others.

This situation is exactly why folks shouldn't get involved. The first problem here was a neighbor or witness who is said to be suffering from a fear of being labeled a racist simply for calling in two loitering, bike riding young adults who happen to be black. He should have called the cops. There is riding bikes, then there is loitering, then there is the time issue as well. Anyways, that never happened, so the fence climbing occurred, followed by the shooting. Again, why on Earth would one put themselves in harms way unless there was an immediate need? All this talk of forming safe room plans, having a vest in the closet, etc., does no one any good if your going to play police investigator. To make matters worse, this guy had already taken steps to harden his property with a fence. If someone breaks the barrier, call the cops and erect another barrier. This would be making sure exterior doors are locked and secured. That should be followed by yet another barrier, which would be the designated safe room. Get everyone in the safe room if possible. If not possible, try to keep yourself between the bad guy and your loved ones.

Do some folks think guns never fail? Do people really think they can win 100% of the time in a situation that could involve multiple assailants.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    WHy is it everyone seems to gloss over what a 14 year old was doing running the street at 2am? Seems had he been home where he belonged at that hour he would have been alive in addition to if he did not enter the guys property.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apparently, even being shot in the head isn't enough to knock some sense into some people.

NOLA Teen Shot In The Head During Attempted Burglary Last Summer Arrested Again? For Attempted Burglary | Weasel Zippers

Apparently, in his convalescence from July 26, 2013 to May 2, 2014, all this kid did was think about how much he wanted to get back to thuggin'.

As of Thursday, May 1, Landry's grand jury panel still hasn't returned a decision in his case. Maybe this news will shake loose a no-bill for Landry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Apparently, even being shot in the head isn't enough to knock some sense into some people.

NOLA Teen Shot In The Head During Attempted Burglary Last Summer Arrested Again? For Attempted Burglary | Weasel Zippers

Apparently, in his convalescence from July 26, 2013 to May 2, 2014, all this kid did was think about how much he wanted to get back to thuggin'.

As of Thursday, May 1, Landry's grand jury panel still hasn't returned a decision in his case. Maybe this news will shake loose a no-bill for Landry.

I have stated on many occasions that these people will not be redeemed as we see the true meaning of that word. They are raised in an environment that what ever they can grab/gain/get/steal or what ever it is OK as long as you share the bounty at home hence the "He was a good boy" thing.
    What they see as OK is not in our eyes. To expect social redemption and atonement is a waste of time and effort with most (not all but) these young people. They view us as sheep and we are the enemy not allowing them to run amok as they choose.
    Work....WTH is that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is now obvious this POS thug roams with bad intent. If they have him locked up lets try keeping him for a long time. This idiot is obviously set in his ways. Give him a trade....stamping plates for the state.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    But we have to look at this case through Louisiana law. Landry was inside, safe, and chose to grab a gun and confront the thief outside. The prosecutor is going to do his best to hang him out to dry for going out to confront the kid. Looks like Indiana laws may be more lenient than the Louisiana law on defending not only yourself/property.

Unfortunately, if you do anything that can be perceived as 'elevating' the situation, can get you arrested and charged with a crime! Leaving the safety of his locked house contributed to that 'escalation' of the situation. He 'met the invader' 1/2 way! All instead of staying behind the closed door and dialing 9-1-1 and letting the cops come get the guy!

Unfortunately, most of the people who have/carry a gun for home/personal defense have no training in the law itself! Gaining an understanding of how the laws are written and what you are allowd and not allowed to do in a defensive situation is a huge determiner in how you handle yourself and the decisions you make in a time of acute tense stress situation...can make a huge difference in the outcome of the entire situation.

You want to be 'in-the-right' through the entire situation...regardless of what the other individual attempts or does to you!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IC 35-41-3-2(d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

As mentioned before. Look up the definition of curtilage. If the guy is breaking into your car on your property behind a gate that is obviously meant to say "STAY OUT", are you just going to let it happen? And upon investigating the situation are you preparing yourself for the best or the worst under said criteria?

Sorry to wake you sir, I was just posting a flyer on your windshield...your gated driveway was kind of a hassle

I thought I might clean your dirty car windows before checking the cleanliness of your house windows

My mom wanted to know what color the interior to your car was...she likes it

Greetings sir, just testing your security, there's been some burglaries in the neighborhood lately.

I will refer back to the "Baseball" bat.

Top Bottom