• BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Re KellyinAvon.
    Time for another gun show tidbit. I was looking at a gun kit (some kind of belt fed) an arm came around and picked up a part of it. The arm had really nice jewelry and rings. Perfect nail polish. The arm was hooked to the nicest perfume ever (Island Gardenia-pretty sure). Made me take a look at the rest. Beautiful summer dress. Then she spoke. Sounded like Jack Elam. Had a little bit of a five o-clock shadow. I lost interest in that gun kit pretty fast. BTW, she was wearing some really nice heels.

TANK BOSS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 27, 2021
    Fishers
    Deals? Not really.
    It's a fun way to spend a free Saturday afternoon if you have one fondling a few guns you have had your eye on to get a feel for etc.
    You might even impulse buy some jerkey or candied nuts...

(he he he he said fondle and nuts)
    "Candied nuts" he says...NOIICE!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Re KellyinAvon.
    Time for another gun show tidbit. I was looking at a gun kit (some kind of belt fed) an arm came around and picked up a part of it. The arm had really nice jewelry and rings. Perfect nail polish. The arm was hooked to the nicest perfume ever (Island Gardenia-pretty sure). Made me take a look at the rest. Beautiful summer dress. Then she spoke. Sounded like Jack Elam. Had a little bit of a five o-clock shadow. I lost interest in that gun kit pretty fast. BTW, she was wearing some really nice heels.
    Sounded like Jack Elam? Did she have one eye looking off to the horizon?

red@cted

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2022
    Indiana
    I'm gonna be a bit harsh. I went last year and found it entertaining at best. Quite a bit of cheap Chinese stuff. All the mags and ammo I looked at were overpriced (even by covid standards). Most firearms were similarly overpriced. Not very many things I would consider particularly cool/rarities. I am curious if anybody knows if more quality vendors show up during certain times of the year or one specific show (if it isn't random). That may change my mind. Otherwise don't think I'll be going again anytime soon.

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    I'm gonna be a bit harsh. I went last year and found it entertaining at best. Quite a bit of cheap Chinese stuff. All the mags and ammo I looked at were overpriced (even by covid standards). Most firearms were similarly overpriced. Not very many things I would consider particularly cool/rarities. I am curious if anybody knows if more quality vendors show up during certain times of the year or one specific show (if it isn't random). That may change my mind. Otherwise don't think I'll be going again anytime soon.
    I end up going a couple of times throughout the year - usually the first one, and the one in the fall. Its fun to browse, and I always get some fudge since I need to justify my entrance fee since I dont ever really buy anything. Seems like the prices are just way to high for a show. I was looking for a 1911 mag, and found some for sale, but when I looked on (of all places!) amazon, they had them cheaper, and it was on my doorstep the next day.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

The last show???

The Chinese garbage is there because $400 (minus the weekend booze). People want garbage so the tables have garbage.

Mags were dirt cheap. I jumped on a bunch of EPMs for $8 a pop and color-coded Duras for $10 a pop (gold, blue, red, etc). Dealer had cases of them. Now is not the time to buy ammo. Time to buy ammo was 2017, 2018 and 2019. You shouldn't buy ammo now, you should buy what is cheap--mags, AR uppers, parts, optics. Buy ammo when the price drops and buy a lot of it.

I got mags (M-16 and SR-25 and peanut butter Glock), a cool knife knife and a NIB Colt LE#'d M6720 all for around $1,250 (IIRC). Note that I went Sunday, after a Broad Ripple brunch, so all of you just strolled by the 6720 instead of scooping it up on Friday afternoon as it deserved.

Lots of cool/rare guns. Not my style, I am a more practical buyer, but there were a bunch, and no one bought them. If they sold, people would bring more of them to sell.

Whether people enjoy gun shows is all governed by knowledge. The more you know the market and the more you know what you are looking for, the more fun you will have.

From last show where there ain't no good deals, my rights!:

1649620545988.png

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I haven't been to the 1500 in years. I used to never miss one but after a while it just became the same thing all the time and everything is marked up very high and nothing ever new. Has that changed? Thoughts and opinions on your 1500 experiences.
    I stopped going a decade or more ago for the same reasons.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You pretty much stole that 6720. They are a really nice LW carbine. Hate myself for selling mine.
    I think far too many people go with the attitude that they will have have to shop/work. That by paying a parking fee and admission that doing so entitles one to free stuff.

I think this is part of a larger cultural problem. However, I think, like everything else in life--investing, career, marriage, interpretative dance--the more you put into it, the better it will be.

Last edited:

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    It is what everything has become. I have been on both sides of the table for many years and still find myself wanting to attend now and again. I usually find what i'm looking for be it odd caliber ammo, small hard to source parts, or possum jerky.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We used to go just to tire kick although I have made a few purchases while there. With the EVER increasing cost of parking and the high door fee it's no longer a reasonable price to pay for a few hours entertainment.

That and my safe is full! :lmfao:

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I used to go frequently but the last time I went a few years ago it was crowded and over priced in my opinion. There we some military vehicles and artillery there which was cool but not sure if the admission was worth it. Haven't been back since

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Haven't gone in a few years, it's about time for visit. Love to laugh and gawk AND if I time it right with a taco bell burrito on Friday night I can crop dust all morning and watch/hear the aftermath. GOOD TIMES ABOUND! LOL!

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    National Gun Day down in Louisville is a good show as well. Looks like the next one is coming up at the end of February.

Is National Gun Day any better? Used to be that you could find good prices on both accessories and firearms at gun shows. But when I see an item I'm interested in, I always pull out my phone and price compare online. It seems I can always find better prices online, regardless of the item. Maybe it's worth it for small items where shipping eats up any savings, but the fee to get in the gun show ruins that idea.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Last chance I had to go was the last show for 2020. Place was very dead and not much to show for it.
    I think there was less than 30 tables and plenty of space to walk around.
    Did buy all of the Brown Bear 9mm that one table had that was the cheapest(.25per round), just to justify the trip from Batesville.
    Did see a 6" King Cobra I been looking to replace after foolishly trading it years ago, but guy was asking way too much money($2K).
    May go again when I finally get my Tax Returns.

foxjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2022
    Greenwood
    I haven't been to the 1500 in years. I used to never miss one but after a while it just became the same thing all the time and everything is marked up very high and nothing ever new. Has that changed? Thoughts and opinions on your 1500 experiences.
    I still find it to be expensive

Top Bottom