• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGIBSON

Liberty Creek Guns LLC.
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Abington IN
    I haven't been to the 1500 in years. I used to never miss one but after a while it just became the same thing all the time and everything is marked up very high and nothing ever new. Has that changed? Thoughts and opinions on your 1500 experiences.

wsmith1indy

Guitar Guy
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2021
    Carmel
    I haven't been to the 1500 in years. I used to never miss one but after a while it just became the same thing all the time and everything is marked up very high and nothing ever new. Has that changed? Thoughts and opinions on your 1500 experiences.
    I've done pretty well at the 1500. I've found some deals on ammo, and walked out with the perfect piece a time or two.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Depends on who you ask. I haven't been for a while, but I've got 2 nice LGS within 5 minutes of my house. If I didn't have that I'd probably go to at least look. I've never purchased a gun there but I have found good deals on a few accessory items over the years.
    I'd go more often if it didn't cost $20 to get in.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not the best to ask on this, I have vendor cred and a parking pass. It's not really work for me unlike people working booths selling stuff since that's what they do for a living.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I had to give up the idea of it being a buyer's market a long time ago. I have to think of it as a hobby store... I really enjoy looking at all the stuff I like but I don't expect to walk out with anything.

I used to have a table at every show for a span of years. I met a lot of great people that I looked forward to seeing at the next show. I thought my prices were fair but I never made a ton of money doing it. When my sources began to dry up, I stopped going. I've gone back only a few times in the last few years.

It's still cheaper than taking my date to the movies, and a lot more interesting.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's still cheaper than taking my date to the movies, and a lot more interesting.
    ^^This!!^^ The entertainment value keeps me projecting every 1500 Friday as annual leave every year. When I post from the 1500? You just can't make this stuff up.

The Deer, Turkey, and Waterfowl Expo? Sure it smells nice (the deer feed smells sweet), you can carry a gun (I like that, I'm off-balance without the EDC), you can even have an adult beverage.

For me? I'll hear turkey and duck calls in my head for two weeks afterwards and we'll sign up 40-75 NRA members a day (that's like, work.) Plus fielding the political questions (OK, that's not work.)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    These days I’d rather make a couple hour loop and hit various gun stores than deal with the 1500 so for me it’s not worth it anymore especially if you expect a deal.

I use to just go for powder, primers and bullets. Have found a couple deals on guns over the years but haven’t for years

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went to one gun show here in Bloomington. The one before that was when I lived in Lafayette. That was 2014.

I find everything I need with my keyboard. Saves me time, effort, and most of all money!

But...if you like to walk shows, flea markets, gun stores, etc., then it might be worth it for you. Some go just for the experience, not because they need/want something.

When I used to go, I usually left with something. I'm still working through my ginormous bag of cleaning patches from a 1500 I hit in the early 2000's.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Deals? Not really.
    It's a fun way to spend a free Saturday afternoon if you have one fondling a few guns you have had your eye on to get a feel for etc.
    You might even impulse buy some jerkey or candied nuts...

(he he he he said fondle and nuts)

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    With parking and admission you are already $25 or more into any “deal” you find at the show. I’m thinking if there is going to be a cover charge they need some dancers! My LGS has better prices and free parking so I’m not much of a 1500 fan any longer.

812west

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2022
    Nashville
    The entertainment value is great!
    1. People watching. The crowds are definitely different than a few years ago.
    2. The stories you over hear, both cringy and oh, I didn't know that.
    3. Fondle, fondle fondle! Pick a toy up, fondle it. Then speak of the merits or demerits of the toy.
    4. Capitalism on full display! Sellers pushing, buyers balking, negotiating over 50 cents.

I've gone to at least 2 shows for 13 years. It's definitely change during that time frame. Vendors selling non gun related items but years ago you didn't see people selling plate carriers either. Yes, parking and entrance fees are up. Yet I spent $20.00 bucks for lunch 3 days and I don't remember what I ate.

I like guns and gun people and I enjoy the 3 or 4 hours I spend with them at the 1500.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    The entertainment value is great!
    1. People watching. The crowds are definitely different than a few years ago.
    2. The stories you over hear, both cringy and oh, I didn't know that.
    3. Fondle, fondle fondle! Pick a toy up, fondle it. Then speak of the merits or demerits of the toy.
    4. Capitalism on full display! Sellers pushing, buyers balking, negotiating over 50 cents.

I've gone to at least 2 shows for 13 years. It's definitely change during that time frame. Vendors selling non gun related items but years ago you didn't see people selling plate carriers either. Yes, parking and entrance fees are up. Yet I spent $20.00 bucks for lunch 3 days and I don't remember what I ate.

I like guns and gun people and I enjoy the 3 or 4 hours I spend with them at the 1500.
    All very good and valid points, I totally agree with your insights, I guess what you are saying is the main reason I would attend these days, not so much that I would be expecting to find a deal, but to absorb the concentration of “Gun Culture” all in one place for 2 1/2 days in a row. Sometimes that’s got to be, and is going to be, enough.

Last edited:

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    Not really. I went to the last one because I happened to be in Indianapolis with time to kill. Got an RCBS primer pocket swager for $12.00 and got to see a Romanian 1893 Mannlicher carbine. I haven't seen anything approaching a good deal since 2019. The smaller shows tend to be better.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Too expensive anymore. Gas, parking, admission, something to eat or drink. easy to drop $30-40, and still not find anything I am looking for. Now just save my money and go to LGS.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I remember going and finding a lot of guns that you didn't see anywhere else. Now it seems as tho those items are no longer showing up there and 35% of the tables are black rifles.
    I don't remember the last time I saw a Remington 600 or 660, a Winchester 88 or 100, or a 30-40 Krag at the 1500.
    I'm liking the shows outside Indy much more lately.

Top Bottom