• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rutheborger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tippecanoe
    The 1500 is a solid place to find reloading supplies and has probably the widest handgun selection you can find in one place. I've taken many friends there to handle pistols and find the one that fits just right.

Things have changed, though. There used to be an old guy there with a corner booth that was loaded with crusty old gun bits, old shotgun barrels and such. He was the best for oddball gun parts- he once sold me a Marlin 60 receiver for $20. ET Brass also used to have a table there where you could get almost anything Lee makes and replacement parts to boot.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    With parking and admission you are already $25 or more into any “deal” you find at the show. I’m thinking if there is going to be a cover charge they need some dancers! My LGS has better prices and free parking so I’m not much of a 1500 fan any longer.
    I would agree. A $10 admission fee that covers parking. You said it best though about being $25 into any "deal" you find. Its consumer driven though. They wouldn't keep raising the prices if people weren't showing up and over spending. 10 years ago you could find a deal.

HKshooterusp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2021
    This thread has been refreshing.
    I haven't been in years and then years before that. As mentioned already, the price of parking, fuel, food, admission, it all kills any good "deal" you may have found. There are zero surplus parts anymore, cheap ARs populate 75% of the tables, and though I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, I'm about sick of "gun culture" people anymore. Fat, sweating profusely, neck beard types, smelling of tobacco and BO, hawking some POS they feel is worth gold, groups of them gathered around some BS speaking table owner, blocking the entire damn aisle so people can't get by. Add in that tables think their **** is gold and yours is junk. And the stories, OMG, some of the BS one hears. It's beyond entertainment all the way into I feel like I need a shower when I leave. Finally, too many trinket tables vs guns and ammo. Chocolate, nuts, cheap leather belts, non gun related Chinese BS, and used to be beenie babies everywhere. Nope.

Now I'll freely admit I have issues that make me very uncomfortable in crowds that have only got worse over the years so maybe that adds to my miserable experience somewhat. But like mentioned above, I get everything I need from my keyboard. A few small supplies I intentionally get from my LGS to help support the bricks and mortar store and I've also had them order a firearm for me on rare occasion. Plus they are a CIII dealer and I've got a can in jail there at the moment.
    By far and large gun shows are a past time for me. To expensive to get in, my area of interests are nonexistent, too many people, ease of use of internet based suppliers, has all led me to keeping to myself.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I would agree. A $10 admission fee that covers parking. You said it best though about being $25 into any "deal" you find. Its consumer driven though. They wouldn't keep raising the prices if people weren't showing up and over spending. 10 years ago you could find a deal.
    It always chaps my hide to pay parking there. Not only is it a state facility funded by taxes, vendors pay for their booth and the event host pays for the privilege of drawing patrons to the paid parking lot. It used to be that you could park in the neighborhood and slide in, but they've pretty much got all the walking routes blocked off. Considering the parking alone, I think I'll stick to the county shows.

I believe that the original question was "is it worth it"... well, if there's something out of the ordinary that you're really after, you might just find it there. If it's readily available in your LGS, save yourself $25 and support your LGS. The deals are very few and far between, and you're likely to be the unwitting victim of random crop-dusting more than once!

I did pick up several boxes of SPC and ACP from an out of area dealer who didn't know what he had, but I probably broke even after factoring in in the $25 or whatever it was to park and get in the door.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I would say that it USED to be worth it, when it was cheaper to get in and you didn't have to pay to park. I used to go to get cleaning supplies, various parts I needed, and ammo, because ammo was actually cheaper at the gun show back then.

At some point, ammo got to be more expensive at the 1500 than at the LGS. Then the variety of parts dried up or got stupidly expensive.

The last couple I went to were expensive wastes of time.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    This thread has been refreshing.
    I haven't been in years and then years before that. As mentioned already, the price of parking, fuel, food, admission, it all kills any good "deal" you may have found. There are zero surplus parts anymore, cheap ARs populate 75% of the tables, and though I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, I'm about sick of "gun culture" people anymore. Fat, sweating profusely, neck beard types, smelling of tobacco and BO, hawking some POS they feel is worth gold, groups of them gathered around some BS speaking table owner, blocking the entire damn aisle so people can't get by. Add in that tables think their **** is gold and yours is junk. And the stories, OMG, some of the BS one hears. It's beyond entertainment all the way into I feel like I need a shower when I leave. Finally, too many trinket tables vs guns and ammo. Chocolate, nuts, cheap leather belts, non gun related Chinese BS, and used to be beenie babies everywhere. Nope.

Now I'll freely admit I have issues that make me very uncomfortable in crowds that have only got worse over the years so maybe that adds to my miserable experience somewhat. But like mentioned above, I get everything I need from my keyboard. A few small supplies I intentionally get from my LGS to help support the bricks and mortar store and I've also had them order a firearm for me on rare occasion. Plus they are a CIII dealer and I've got a can in jail there at the moment.
    By far and large gun shows are a past time for me. To expensive to get in, my area of interests are nonexistent, too many people, ease of use of internet based suppliers, has all led me to keeping to myself.
    I agree!!!

HazelDell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Carmel
    I have not been since a year or two before Covid. I always enjoyed the show just to see what was out there and browse. Never bought much of anything. I was at a Fuel game for the first time in a while and was shocked to be charged $10 to park. I didn’t like $5 and to double it is a bit much. Now I probably will never be back. Rising prices to get into the show was always ok with me. Now to pay $10 to park doesn’t sit right with me

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Worth it? Subjective. Depends on your education level and your commitment. Each person must answer this.

Not worth it: going to get me a "good deal" on a plastic trash gun from the Balkans.

Worth it: going while understanding the market and being in a position to say NO.

HKshooterusp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2021
    I haven't been much recently. I never paid to park though. Plenty of free street parking along Fairfield Ave. I was always surprised so few other people noticed.
    That's not quite the high end of town and I'm not comfortable walking it. Always afraid of either attempted dirt bag activity on the street (after all, they know what's going on at the fairgrounds) or come out to find my car on blocks or the windows knocked out. No thanks.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Last one attended was really not all that good unfortunately.
    Seems most folks tend to go to the smaller town shows these days.
    Free parking and a 5 dollar entry fee is less painful to the wallet.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Last one attended was really not all that good unfortunately.
    Seems most folks tend to go to the smaller town shows these days.
    Free parking and a 5 dollar entry fee is less painful to the wallet.
    I cannot find any info on the stout field armory show this weekend, but based on this thread, I should go there instead of the 1500 if I want a cheap gun related date and the possibility of a fair bargain.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Best part of the 1500 is to drive by show your middle finger & go to hooters and spend your $15 . :twocents:
    Get a cold one and some wings & laugh at what a joke the 1500 is.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It is a good show, and I am glad I went there. It may have 200 or so tables, and two rooms, one much smaller than the other. Decent number of folks who know their stuff.
    As long as you don't come in hoping to find a cheap modern rifle, you can leave happy. Some good t-shirts, and some cool kit. I think I will try the Greenfield gun show next, and I think I would like to keep to the smaller shows. They have enough selection that I can try out enough stuff to know what I probably would like to try to find at a good price. Based on what you all said, there is precious little to be gained by going to Indy 1500.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On a budget? Hit the smaller shows. I always like the Stout Field shows, Tipton is really good.

Now for the full gun show experience... it's the Indy 1500. I'm talking SPAM Can Mom, 1911 lanyard carry dude, the cast of The Hills Have Eyes, the extras from The Walking Dead, The Man from Glad, Dude wearing commie chem gear including commie gas mask, Kill a Commie for Mommie t-shirt guy with Kalashnikov t-shirt guy, Goths (Saturday is Goth Day.) Play "spot the straw-purchase" or "spot the ATF agent". Another fun game: How many live rounds will be on the table where the Cops sit at the entrance??" Amazing how many unloaded firearms contain ammunition.

INGO's own KellyinAvon (yes, referred to myself in 3rd person) is usually at the NRA booth on Fridays. I'll always bump the thread if you stop by and say hi (or say anything else for that matter.) I try to bump the thread with locations of different booths, notable landmarks and prices of staples such as 9mm range ammo, 5.56 FMJ, Gen 2 PMags, etc.

I make in-thread comments about my observations (as Yogi said, you can see a lot just by observing) and well, you just can't make this stuff up.

Top Bottom