• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Must have been more than that post.

Since I am posting in this thread anyway. Gun shows are great places for looking for those things that you didn't know you needed. I agree it is not the place to go for current models of stuff.

ETA: I posted this and then BT's above post jumped in there. So I know that it no longer makes much sense.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As to the subject at hand, when I do attend a gun show, I just treat it like going to the movies. I'm paying for entertainment. The days of the deals, in general, are pretty much gone. Yes a deal will be found here and there. But not like the earlier days. The gun culture has made it mainstream and people are cashing in on it.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    The 1500 is what it is....I buy more Army surplus stuff for hunting and more stuff for reloading than anything else. Haven't gotten a good deal on a gun there in years. In the last year I went to the Gun Show at Stout Field and bought 2 safe queens, both seriously underpriced. Great deals on guns so I make sure I go to that one. Five bucks to get in and free parking.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    The last time I went was 2012 or 2013. Granted it was not long after Sandy Hook, but it was literally shoulder to shoulder and you couldn't even check anything out as you just got shoved along with the current. I moved out to Lawrenceburg and the closest big show is Sharonville on the north side of Cincinnati. I quit going there to as its pretty much the same. No deals to speak of and way overcrowded. Now I just buy @ the LGS, AIM Surplus or online, pretty much in that order.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The 1500 is what it is....I buy more Army surplus stuff for hunting and more stuff for reloading than anything else. Haven't gotten a good deal on a gun there in years. In the last year I went to the Gun Show at Stout Field and bought 2 safe queens, both seriously underpriced. Great deals on guns so I make sure I go to that one. Five bucks to get in and free parking.
    You've been here 12 years and this is your first post? Please introduce yourself to the forum and post more. I like what I see!

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    IMO. The shows are mainly for odd stuff, the things that aren't carried at your LGS. A few vendors have going rates, alot of vendors are out of their minds on pricing. and of course, remember no HazMat Charges, and the info from people

Jay Gnome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been to the 1500 in years. I used to never miss one but after a while it just became the same thing all the time and everything is marked up very high and nothing ever new. Has that changed? Thoughts and opinions on your 1500 experiences.
    I think it depends. I have gone to check for older guns and ammo and its terrible to see but I have seen some good deals on newer guns, not ammo though. I have pretty much given up on it but you might find something you like.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been to the 1500 in years. I used to never miss one but after a while it just became the same thing all the time and everything is marked up very high and nothing ever new. Has that changed? Thoughts and opinions on your 1500 experiences.
    I think it is. Ive sold a firearm for a great price and turned around and bought a new one within 5 minutes of walking in. On top of that theres more then just guns. For instance I collect old and odd ammo.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    " Is it worth it"? Well, around my part of the state. Unless you go to a big box store like BP or Cabelas (all which are 2 hrs or more away) or on-line, the LGS's in my AO just cannot get the stock? They have told me they are just not big enough to be first on the list with the suppliers? Frankly I do not know how they stay alive? If you were to see what is on their shelves. Infact one of the local shop owners who has been in business for 40 years told me he may have to shut his door in about a year. The Mom & Pop stores are struggling and dying.I do however try to support them with my business when I can. I am just one person though. So for me personally the answer is "yes it is worth it". Plus like has been said here already. I look at it as entertainment. I go with ZERO expectations besides entertainment. Just my two cents on the subject.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    went today for the first time in years.

if you're selling a gun, I wouldn't bother. it gets old walking around with a gun and people asking you what it is & asking price, just to whip out the phone and start googling it while you stand there awkwardly for them to see that you priced the gun well and they say 'ok thanks'. everyone thinks they're Rick from Pawn Stars.

as far as buying, there was actually a decent variety. some good booths with good guys in it and good conversation. but many more booths of stuff which would make more sense at a county fair or flea market imo

Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    of there shows this was by far the the worst i have ever been to.. parking $10.00 admission fee $15.00 and at best 25% the size of the shows i had been to in the past.. item i buy at almost all shows i go to could not be found

WizardHeir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I remember going as a kid with my family. I likes going to gunshots, but the 1500 was the largest we ever went to. As a kid, I got bored fast and thought my feet would fall off from all the walking. I do remember getting to some killer jerky though,always my favorite part.

As a kid, I loved seeing all the military surplus stuff. I'd still enjoy that as an adult as well. I'm not big into large events with large crowds, so I'm not sure I'd go now.

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    If 15 dollars to walk a show is worth the admission price it is a gun show.
    ThGs
    i don’t buy or sell there a lot, but it’s honestly worth it to me just to have a large assortment of guns to handle. Sometimes I find things, old or new, that I never knew about before. Also found one of my all time favorite knives that way.

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    Never been but I need to go sometime.

Top Bottom