• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    Meh...you can't actually "lose" anything if you don't sell. It's all paper losses until then. I'm in for the long haul and it'll turn around eventually. In the meantime, it's paper losses and my dividends are buying more. Maybe time to invest more new capital too.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Meh...you can't actually "lose" anything if you don't sell. It's all paper losses until then. I'm in for the long haul and it'll turn around eventually. In the meantime, it's paper losses and my dividends are buying more. Maybe time to invest more new capital too.
    I followed through this morning and got out. Everything should be settled in the next 2 days(when I will be allowed to withdraw my winnings). It is also true you do not have any gains until your brokerage hands you the cash and you withdraw it. Until it is out of the system you did not gain anything.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    I followed through this morning and got out. Everything should be settled in the next 2 days(when I will be allowed to withdraw my winnings). It is also true you do not have any gains until your brokerage hands you the cash and you withdraw it. Until it is out of the system you did not gain anything.

Fair point and applicable in some situations. If my plans work out I'll never be selling anyway, or at least not much. At some point I'll stop dripping the dividends and divert that to useable income.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Lol, no. When you make a trade and you profited and you get a trade confirmation then you owe the gains tax whether you keep the cash in the account or withdraw it

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Lol, no. When you make a trade and you profited and you get a trade confirmation then you owe the gains tax whether you keep the cash in the account or withdraw it
    I did not mention taxes,but yes of course taxes are paid. Had I been a bit faster last year I could have had another trust set up,but I didn't. So I will be paying more in taxes(with a trust it is capped at 20%).

It really is tough to earn much investing. Take out the inflation,taxes,and fees(any including if you pay for your taxes to be done) and a 60% gain over a year can actually be next to nothing.

Last edited:

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I rolled my IRA over into cash before the SHTF. I'll settle for what I've made. I'm getting too old to invest anymore. I'm going to enjoy what I've made and not pay any attention to the market anymore. Now, the problem is getting it all out before hitting 72 :nuts:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Awfully late for that,lol. Just like those that will pull out of the market and sell low, and they will buy back in on the upswing.
    I don't really know what I'm doing, but last week one day when the S&P was tanking I bought more shares of my S&P 500 mutual fund. Hopefully that is better than sitting in my money market fund losing 7% due to inflation.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Putting more into dividend earning staple producing companies. Not a serious investor, but we’re going to need food, water, and energy no matter what.

Short term, after my ex-wife sells a property we bought together, quit job, cash out of 401K, then evaluate options. I’m thinking an education franchise to tutor kids in math and English. Low investment and the need is exploding because of the last two years.

This presupposes the world not ending.

Attachments

• E23F457D-5459-4CDA-8756-5BE84C8C8A4E.jpeg
      E23F457D-5459-4CDA-8756-5BE84C8C8A4E.jpeg
      71.3 KB · Views: 5

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have completely stopped buying stocks. I have been doing nothing but scalping/trading options on SPY, IWM, QQQ and TSLA......with at least 75% of my trades in SPY and lasting less than 15 minutes, most of them less than 5 minutes. I will scalp SPY 5 times+ a day. Buy them at $1, sell them at $1.25, rinse and repeat with tight stop losses.

I usually never put over 2% of my funds in a trade, usually closer to 1%. Most times I "invest" between $1-2K. Within the first 15 minutes I try to have my $250 goal reached for the day, then anything over that is icing on the cake.

This is not for the faint of heart or those who have a life. I spend a LOT of time just waiting for the buy signal. You cannot do this without being 100% committed to it. Sometimes I will watch a screen for 2-3 hours and trade nothing, then an opportunity exposes itself and you make 100% in 10 minutes. It is very boring....but then gets real exciting. Stop losses are a must!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have completely stopped buying stocks. I have been doing nothing but scalping/trading options on SPY, IWM, QQQ and TSLA......with at least 75% of my trades in SPY and lasting less than 15 minutes, most of them less than 5 minutes. I will scalp SPY 5 times+ a day. Buy them at $1, sell them at $1.25, rinse and repeat with tight stop losses.

I usually never put over 2% of my funds in a trade, usually closer to 1%. Most times I "invest" between $1-2K. Within the first 15 minutes I try to have my $250 goal reached for the day, then anything over that is icing on the cake.

This is not for the faint of heart or those who have a life. I spend a LOT of time just waiting for the buy signal. You cannot do this without being 100% committed to it. Sometimes I will watch a screen for 2-3 hours and trade nothing, then an opportunity exposes itself and you make 100% in 10 minutes. It is very boring....but then gets real exciting. Stop losses are a must!!
    I'm glad you added the last paragraph. I keep having people tell me how easy/peasy it is and how much money they made with little effort. Even buying stocks to hold for awhile requires due diligence.

I can't seem to wrap my head around stock trading and the how the market works so I "play" with very limited funds and I keep the rest of my money in a S&P 500 mutual fund. It may not make me a millionaire but being less than 8 years from retirement, I am comfortable with having some of my money there. I also have some in an international fund.

I recently bought 5 shares of Amazon. Will hold until after the potential split and see what it does. Hopefully I can make a few dollars.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Add BoA to the list... https://tittlepress.com/crypto/1667720/

It is going to get bad. I kind of wonder where we are headed this time. You know, we have so many bubbles this time, and when one pops.......they will all go. Normally you raise rates and lower inflation by slowing the economy. But you think about it and housing is in a huge bubble, Indiana unemployment at all time low, job openings at all time high, mortgage rates rising, energy costs thru the roof, food costs up 50%, debt at all time highs. Americans have 1.5 trillion dollars in car loans, that is 10% of consumer debt and $10 trillion in home loans. Both of them items are gonna get more expensive to finance in the future. It already costs you $350 more a month on a $250K house, just in a few weeks on a 30 year mortgage...and that thing may see double digits or close to it, in the next year or so. That payment was $1000 a couple months ago, $1400 now and will be $2000 if rates get to 9%.

And over time if people are not financing stuff because of the costs, that should mean we have more supply. Like cars for example, if instead of people financing $60B a month in cars, say half of them say no way I am paying that much in interest and they decide not to buy a new car, thus...layman thinking says car supply should increase 50% a month.........correct? And also says GM or Ford should sell 50% less cars, thus less profits for shareholders and you just contracted the economy to contain inflation.......by raising rates. Am I thinking of that right???

I really think housing may be what crashes our economy again. I think we are about to repeat 2006-2008. They claim they fixed the "problems" from that housing crash.....but I don't believe that as true. Houses that sold for $100K in 2008 now selling for $300K....that is not normal appreciation, is it? Everywhere I look subdivisions are being built. This cannot last forever, eventually supply will be so large that demand will dictate prices. Then when building costs drop....and labor prices get competitive again and rates at 10%......all the sudden those building now find they are 10-20% negative equity, but have a very sexy mortgage rate that is worth $1000's a month in savings. Same destination.....just a different route to get there.

Just rambling out loud.....I have no idea what happens or how they fix it, this is way above my pay grade.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm glad you added the last paragraph. I keep having people tell me how easy/peasy it is and how much money they made with little effort. Even buying stocks to hold for awhile requires due diligence.

I can't seem to wrap my head around stock trading and the how the market works so I "play" with very limited funds and I keep the rest of my money in a S&P 500 mutual fund. It may not make me a millionaire but being less than 8 years from retirement, I am comfortable with having some of my money there. I also have some in an international fund.

I recently bought 5 shares of Amazon. Will hold until after the potential split and see what it does. Hopefully I can make a few dollars.
    Yes sir....I would never want anyone thinking this is easy. There is nothing easy about it, very rarely do I get an "easy" trade. Even when I get it right, there is usually a couple of minutes where I go red....and those are tough times when you are waiting to get green again, but you don't want to take the loss. Very emotional wear and tear. What I do is really nothing more or less than gambling. I am 100% trading off the charts at support and resistance and following 1 minute trend lines.

With that said, I would strongly recommend anyone who is so inclined, to study and learn options. They can be very risky but can be very rewarding and they require very little money to play.

And if people own over 100 shares in a company they are holding forever, they can sell out of the money options(covered calls) against their shares.....which generates monthly or weekly income with very little downside risk. AMZN is a bad example because it is so expensive, but for instance: If you owned 100 shares of AMZN @ $3000 a share, you could sell covered calls every week that are like $150 out of the money. So you could sell $3150 calls that expire a week later, for $30-40 each. $30 x 100 is $3000 a week of free income, with the only risk being that you may have to sell your shares at $3180 each(they call this getting called). Best case, end of the week the stock is under $3150....and you keep that suckers $3000 who bought the call from you, and do it again next week. In 2-3 years you would own the 100 shares for free. Worse case, the stock goes to $4000 this week and you have to sell at $3180, or else buy the calls back before they explode. This is why the rich get richer......

Top Bottom