• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Continuing the options game. I made some random buys of stock to sell calls on and lost on the underlying stock but made money on the option. I could have kept collecting premium to fight back to positive but decided to bail on SURF, KODK, MVIS, VXRT, FUBO.

I have a play Monday I'm excited about. RIOT blockchain is also interesting. sold some naked puts on this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well, I am starting to get antsy... if the Dems get the Senate, I could see a market correction if not a bear market, but I don't want to pull out if the market is just going to continue to ignore fundamental problems in the economy... I am about 5 years from retirement, so I really would hate to lose money...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought some Royal Caribbean when it tanked earlier last year. Sold it a couple weeks ago and doubled my money. I have never done that before. Most of my stock deals net me little gains and I have lost before.

I would like to reinvest the earnings but not sure what to look at next. My son says I should buy gambling stocks and/or cannabis. Both industries could be on the cusp of exploding, but I'm old so I need to be smart. I'd rather make little gains with less risk than bet on emerging segments.

I wish I would have bought Tesla, lol.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I bought some Royal Caribbean when it tanked earlier last year. Sold it a couple weeks ago and doubled my money. I have never done that before. Most of my stock deals net me little gains and I have lost before.

I would like to reinvest the earnings but not sure what to look at next. My son says I should buy gambling stocks and/or cannabis. Both industries could be on the cusp of exploding, but I'm old so I need to be smart. I'd rather make little gains with less risk than bet on emerging segments.

I wish I would have bought Tesla, lol.
    Renewable energy

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since I'm retired I put my small "pile" of $$ that teachers have in a retirement account now invested in a fund that does not lose any of your investment & will even gain some if the Mutual Fund investments gain.
    I was looking for no growth this year but to my surprise it gained about 6%.
    I have a couple of other smaller "piles" investments, but I didn't even look at those since they are conservative but could lose as the Mutual Fund fluctuates.
    I had taken out $$ before the CV for our Italy trip in April that got cancelled, so I didn't have to sell shares at a loss, at least.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am getting a little gun shy of the market to be honest. I will probably ease my true investments out soon and just buy calls and sell naked puts on them. Maybe buy some UVXY just in case market crashes, or sell naked puts on it and buy calls using the naked put premium.

I plan to sell some more CALA naked puts this week, and hope it holds $4 for 10 days. Above $5 and it basically pays 20%+ for 10 days of risk. I hope it runs and I don't get stuck with the shares, but if I do I will just wheel them and sell covered calls.

NRZ will have a huge pop soon, like a 30%+ pop. Just don't know when it will happen, worse case 1st week of February I think when ER comes out. I have a bunch of cheap Jan $11 calls on it at nickle each and will probably add Feb calls this week.

Other than that I will be a scalping machine. I really like stocks the best that I own less than 15 minutes, 30 tops, lol.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I will be buying CALA Monday and selling calls and puts also. what an amazing premium return right now.
    Yeah, did you do any research on them? I will do it tonight or tomorrow. Think I am gonna go big on this one unless I find something negative. The chart is nice, hasnt moved much overall last few years. Just kind of keeps a channel between $3.50-$7. I am probably gonna change that channel knowing my luck. But honestly if I get put shares @ $3.80...I don't care. I would almost consider them a gift and then could sell covered calls.

Edit: Doc, I see now why premiums so high. They have a Phase 3 trial that they will be announcing results for in early 1st qtr 2021.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know nothing about it but like you said little downside risk given the 5 year chart. sitting nice in Bollinger bands and at 20-day avg right now. I was going to hold some cash as a buffer in case something bad happens in Georgia senate but this is so tempting

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    MVIS is also tempting. I sold my shares because I dropped $300 on their long position, not factoring in that I made $600 on the options. It's trading for $5.38 now, and the $5.5 Jan 15 call is selling for $0.75. That's a 28% monthly return. I still own 100 shares. I have a Jan 15 $8 call I sold for $1.20 and I hope to close it for $0.25 Monday, and then I'll resell a $6 Jan 15 call for $0.63.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Doc, I sent you a pm. CALA updated website and scheduled a conference update for tomorrow morning at 8:30am EST. My guess is they are going to drop good news. It will either be good news on this Ph 3 trial, or news on a lawsuit settlement with INCY, where CALA sued them in Sept. Good luck and let's see how this works out. News will be by 8:30 and we can't move options until 9:30....may change the way this plays out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Doc, I sent you a pm. CALA updated website and scheduled a conference update for tomorrow morning at 8:30am EST. My guess is they are going to drop good news. It will either be good news on this Ph 3 trial, or news on a lawsuit settlement with INCY, where CALA sued them in Sept. Good luck and let's see how this works out. News will be by 8:30 and we can't move options until 9:30....may change the way this plays out.
    but I can buy shares long :):
    put them in for extended hours trading

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    what in the actual.... I get in CALA at 5.30 premarket, it was up $0.35 at 7am, then drops 43% at 7:03

best laid plans...

buy the rumor and sell the news?

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am going to look into modifying my 403B from all high growth mutual funds and starting to purchase some specific stock companies that pay dividends. That way in the future I'll have some sort of additional income, hopefully, without much effort.

I am specifically looking at Iron Mountain. They pay no taxes because the way they are incorporated they must distribute 90% of their profits back to investors every year. This put them at about an 8% dividend recently or projected (I forget which.)

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom